Bad at sport and socially awkward as a child/teenager

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

If you're pretty good at soccer, you're in pretty good shape.

In soccer, people just run around constantly; there aren't many "breaks in the action" like there is a in a sport like baseball/softball.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 1:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you're pretty good at soccer, you're in pretty good shape.

In soccer, people just run around constantly; there aren't many "breaks in the action" like there is a in a sport like baseball/softball.

But you gotta catch the ball with your feet and dribble it with your feet and be able to kick it in the direction you want it and be able to keep other opponents from stealing it. That all takes practice. I just never gave up trying. I mostly did running in it. But I have known NT kids who also sucked in sports too so it's not always an autism thing or a dyspraxia thing. When I did soccer in 7th grade, lot of my team players sucked so we always lost. We only won a few games and that was it. But the difference was they were all trying, not goofing off like other kids were in PE.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

That's true. You have to do all that. It takes somebody in decent shape.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

I was an active child that loved climbing and running about, so some sports were an enjoyment. But when it came to team games, I hated it. It was probably because team games had more rules that I didn't quite understand, while sports like athletics and gym felt more fun because there weren't so many confusing rules or feeling under pressure to win the game.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

One of my favorite games was dodgeball.

I was a short, chubby kid, so I could catch the ball pretty well.