Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 12:04 pm

I have noticed that sometimes, especially in periods of stress, certain symptoms worsen. I become more sensitive to sensory stimuli, my executive functioning ability drops (sometimes plummets), and I am worn out easily. I even get more IBS and headaches during stressful times.

Anyone else notice the link with stress and these things?

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:11 pm

Yes.

As well as sensory overload, and social guilting, we should also say that learned helplessness is a cause of stress.

We should acknowledge the causes of our stress, and be proactive, to change the situation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:16 pm

Absolutly yes

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:43 pm

Stress is a big risk factor.
The bodies response often heads to Fight or Flight instinct. Work rounds to fit into the NT world tend to require more careful thought processes.
Prolonged stress produces hormones which interfere with short term memory. Again this becomes an obstruction to success in carrying out the work rounds to fit the NT world.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

Yes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

Possibly, though I can't say for sure an increase in stress isn't acting to exacerbate other brain things, most likely my crippling social anxiety. I get very strong physical symptoms from feeling stressed; I will stumble, drop things and though it sounds mad, within a day after such an episode I often wake up with mouth ulcers and back pain. It's for this reason I feel ASD takes a back seat behind anxiety when it comes to stress, though those two are obviously so interlinked it's hard to know where one ends and the other begins.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

I notice, too, that my symptoms get much worse when I'm under stress; good or bad. I just plain shut down. I can't think straight, can't focus, can't make eye contact, I stutter and can't easily speak up for myself in stressful situations. Recently, I got approved for an apartment. I'm very excited about it, yet quite nervous, because this will be the first time ever that I'm living on my own in my own place. I guess what I'm most afraid of is that I won't know what to do or be too lonely. I mean, yeah, there's a team from Thresholds who's going to help me out, but still. This is a huge deal for me, especially going from one environment to another. That's a major thing that stresses me out is change of environment. Well, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough; at least I hope so.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:48 pm

Yep. Stress definitely makes my symptoms worse but lack of sleep is the biggest catalyst.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

Absolutely yes. Especially my sound sensitivities.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:42 pm

It indeed does

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 3:11 pm

I get stressed way easier than an average person and noticed some worse things I do when I'm stressed. I can get really ticked off at someone else for things that usually don't get me mad or a little mad. I just instantly lash at them.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2017, 3:51 pm

Yes. stress makes my OCD worse and I tend to retreat into myself and talk less, even to people I know. Before I started on Prozac this was a major problem.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:43 pm

Definitely. I'm much more prone to meltdowns too when I'm under a lot of stress.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2017, 5:08 pm

Its as if my amygdala is spring loaded/overreactive. I am always concentrating on calming it.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:59 pm

idonthaveanickname wrote:
I notice, too, that my symptoms get much worse when I'm under stress; good or bad. I just plain shut down. I can't think straight, can't focus, can't make eye contact, I stutter and can't easily speak up for myself in stressful situations...a major thing that stresses me out is change of environment.

^^This^^

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2017, 7:49 pm

Yes, but it's byproduct of stress and is a perfectly normal response.

Stress, on a basic level, heightens your senses as a natural response to certain stimuli.