Taking credit for other people's accomplishments

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 8:34 pm

Has anyone ever heard of an Aspie doing this? The reason I ask is that I've heard from several sources that someone I know, who I'm pretty sure has AS, does this.

I would never consider taking credit for someone else's work; it goes against my basic code of ethics. Is this a big red sign that I was wrong about this person?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:38 pm

I would never take credit for anyone else's accomplishments.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:38 pm

Dunno know about all aspies. I know this aspie cannot do that. Fact is, I have a tough time taking credit for my accomplishments.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 8:40 pm

nutbag wrote:
Dunno know about all aspies. I know this aspie cannot do that. Fact is, I have a tough time taking credit for my accomplishments.

I'm the same way. I tend to downplay it when someone compliments me on something I've done.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:41 pm

The reason I would never take credit is because I wouldn't like it if someone took credit for something I accomplished.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:47 pm

I would never do it. It would make me feel worse than just knowing that someone else had accomplished it.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 8:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The reason I would never take credit is because I wouldn't like it if someone took credit for something I accomplished.

I get the feeling this person I know has a very severe case of mindblindness. He doesn't seem to understand that other people have feelings at all. He will do and say things that make people really dislike him, but seems upset when told that people think badly of him. He doesn't seem to see the cause and effect relationship between how he treats people and what they think of him.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:00 pm

To take credit for another person's accomplishments would be unethical. I am embarrassed, like many others, to accept praise for my own accomplishments.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:02 pm

I have trouble taking credit, or even recieving compliments.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:09 pm

nutbag wrote:

Same here.

I would suspect that either this guy is not AS, or he really did do what he's saying he did, and the other person is lying... or it's all a big misunderstanding.

Of course, it is POSSIBLE that he is AS and really does do that. It just doesn't seem LIKELY.

Last edited by Esperanza on 28 May 2007, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:12 pm

I don't take credit for other things, and have trouble as well, like many of the others, taking credit for my own stuff.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:14 pm

Spot17 wrote:
nutbag wrote:

I'm the same way. I tend to downplay it when someone compliments me on something I've done.

SAME HERE! HECK, if someone takes credit for my accomplishments, I consider it worse than financial theft! ALSO, they usually give me credit for their failings! That is one reason I quit my last job. I am usually humble all the same.

Steve

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 9:20 pm

Esperanza wrote:
I would suspect that either this guy is not AS, or he really did do what he's saying he did, and the other person is lying... or it's all a big misunderstanding.

I've heard multiple stories of him doing this from multiple people. I don't think it was a misunderstanding either. I guess he probably isn't AS then. I've read that Narcissists can be mistaken for Aspies...

Doesn't really matter anyway, the guy's a jerk regardless of why he acts the way he does. I guess it's just hard for me to accept that I was fooled by someone so easily. I kept making excuses for him to other people because I thought he had AS (not that I told anyone I thought that).

Maybe I should have made this a "How easily are you taken in by unscrupulous people?" thread. :(

Belinda
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2007, 1:24 am

I was mistaken for a narcissist before I found out about AS. I mean, I knew I didn't have NPD, I was really hurt by that allegation, but my mother-in-law decided she didn't like me at the time and decided it was a convienient way of blaming me for all of the bad luck her son had had at the time. :cry:

I am the same, I actually feel uncomfortable when somebody makes a big deal of work I've done, worse still if I don't know them well. Saying that, I would be enraged if somebody took credit for my work.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:27 am

I will often even let it go if someone is given credit for something I have done...

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:06 am

no need to take credit for someone else's work. i have enough work done on my own to show off :) and even then i downplay it when someone is complimenting what i've done. it would make me really angry if someone tried to take credit for my work, though. i am the only one who can downplay the credits for my work.