Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:25 am

hyperbolic wrote:
I work in a store where I have to sell cigarettes. I am 20, and to sell cigarettes, you have to be at least 18. A conversation several days ago:

"What do you need?" I asked.
"Before you do anything, you'll just have to call the manager," a woman said.
"Why do you need to talk with the manager? Do you have a return?" I asked.
"I need some cigarettes," she replied.
"I'm old enough to sell cigarrettes," I replied.
"Well, you don't look like it."

How goddamn rude can you get? :x

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:43 am

When I was living in New Orleans (the boozing capital of the world)..where babies have screwdrivers in their bottles to help them sleep...(I am exaggerating)...

I lived a block away from a small, quaint family owned Grocery store, and every day my roommate sent me there to buy him two tall boys...And For the first 2 weeks of my living there I went and got them no problem..without being carded...

Then...after two weeks of doing this once or twice a day every day, all of a sudden, they carded me (i am 10 years over the legal drinking age)....so there was a minor fiasco...i was annoyed and showed resistance, but went home got my id and came back (i was always forgetting it)

so for a while they would card me every time..and I sorta got the impression that they were picking on me because they didn't like my looks or something...because they didn't bother carding anyone else...so after a while they would wave me through without needing to see my id...so i stopped bringing it with me...and after about a month....I got carded again..this was by the assistant manager lady who I would see every single day.....and i didn't have my I.D....so she started yelling at me....so I had a meltdown....which lasted all day...and I never went back to that store again....and had to go to one of several that were more expensive and further away...

But at no other store did I ever get get carded....only once at the A&P...

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:49 pm

fresco wrote:
Why do Aspies stay looking young?

I have a beginning hypothesis that along with some immune issues we may have (both good and bad), our methylation pathways may also be affected. The methylation pathway is involved in eradicating free radicals from our bodies to prevent oxidation which ends up damaging cells. I wonder, what with some of our unusually youthful appearances, if there might not be something regarding our methylation pathways in that we may remove particular types of free radicals which cause skin damage and other types of more obvious outward aging thus keeping us looking strangely youthful.

To me, the idea is one of the few that offers some promise of a scientific explanation as to why some of us are unusually youthful in appearance and it's not just necessarily because we may wear different kinds of clothes or wear less make-up etc.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:14 pm

I am young looking to I do smile sometimes but I think I just have a blank look on my face. People think Im stoned half the time 8)

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:28 pm

Last edited by Wolfpup on 30 May 2007, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:37 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
Sophist wrote:
fresco wrote:
Why do Aspies stay looking young?

I have a beginning hypothesis that along with some immune issues we may have (both good and bad), our methylation pathways may also be affected. The methylation pathway is involved in eradicating free radicals from our bodies to prevent oxidation which ends up damaging cells. I wonder, what with some of our unusually youthful appearances, if there might not be something regarding our methylation pathways in that we may remove particular types of free radicals which cause skin damage and other types of more obvious outward aging thus keeping us looking strangely youthful.

To me, the idea is one of the few that offers some promise of a scientific explanation as to why some of us are unusually youthful in appearance and it's not just necessarily because we may wear different kinds of clothes or wear less make-up etc.

Interesting. So is this looking young thing an actual common thing with people with AS?

I've got some gray hairs now, and I don't know if that changes things, but I know people always think I'm younger than I am. I was "carded" for buying an M rated game a year or two ago, and multiple people have thought I'm in my early 20's (one thought I was a teenager).

I don't think I'm good at guessing ages, but I do think I look younger than a lot of guys who are 30. I've also seen women who are 40 look younger than some who are 20. It's just really weird how that works. Some people age really really well, and others look ancient in their 30's.

scrulie, if that's you in that picture, I've always assumed you were a 19ish444 :D

Well, it's kind of a general starting hypothesis. But from some of the stuff I've been studying about our immune systems and a bit about our methylation pathways, I think it could be a potential answer as to why we may often look younger than our age.

But I don't want to state hypothesis and wondering as fact. But I think it's a good point to start with. There's bound to be SOME reason why we may often look younger and I for one truly doubt it's just because of what we choose to wear or not wear or our facial expressions.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 7:46 pm

scrulie wrote:
I think it's because we're young at heart! :)

I agree with her. I know theres a child in me, and everybody around me does too haha. I'm 22, and people always ask me if I'm like 16. When I was high school people would ask me if I got on the wrong bus, and that I'm suppose to be in elementary school.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 4:06 am

It's Craig Nicholls in my avvie LOL! He's a boy and he's 29.

This is me:

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 4:20 am

If you think Craig looks young on the left, look at him at age 25!

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 9:24 am

Weird, well it still looks like a girl, and you look young too :D

Now I have to go hide in the corner :oops:

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 9:25 am

Wolfpup wrote:
Weird, well it still looks like a girl, and you look young too :D

Now I have to go hide in the corner :oops:

Aw, don't be embarrassed! He is pretty! :lol:

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 11:27 am

People usually add about two years to my age it might change as I get older

Jett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2007, 9:03 pm

I'm 40 and was carded for cigarettes (legal age 21 but they are supposed to card if you look 27 or younger) now and again up until last Jan. when I quit... :D

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 9:10 pm

I think I look my age, 33. If we do look younger as a group, maybe it's because we avoid social situations which often involve drugs/ booze/ sun exposure/ reckless sex/ eating bad food? My eyes are really sensitive to bright sun, so I always wear a wide brimmed hat when I'm out for long periods. Sunglasses don't cut it.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 9:36 pm

Apatura wrote:
My eyes are really sensitive to bright sun, so I always wear a wide brimmed hat when I'm out for long periods. Sunglasses don't cut it.

I'm really sensitive to bright light too. I wear sunglasses, and a hat if I'm going to be out for very long. Unfortunately I have trouble finding hats that fit my head :D One size does NOT fit all. The "one size fits all" hats just sit on the very top of my head, it's hilarious.

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2007, 2:07 am

scrulie wrote:
If you think Craig looks young on the left, look at him at age 25!

Hey Scrulie, How IS this for a young-looking Craig at 24?? :wink: