Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2017, 1:17 am

I'm British too.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

30 Jun 2017, 1:20 am

Empathy wrote:
Niall wrote:

All I can say is that there are so many different ways in which we see ourselves.

I don't relate, at all.

You just fall into it, it's like milking a cow without no udders.

I think the best of British have been the driving force of good humour, especially here

You either choose to abide by the manuscript or you die by it..simples :roll:

Maybe thats more gothic shakepearian than present resume actually..

Unfortunately, what you write makes it sound like you think the British (whoever they might be) are better than everyone else.

I don't think that, at all. If anything, a tendency for some people to believe that and act on it is one of the driving forces behind my rejection of that label.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Voyagergirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2017, 7:21 am

I was born in the north of England of London parents. :?

The area was occupied by the Vikings and the local dialect in the town I went to school is closer to Norwegian than English.

I'm British. 8)

I am a retired English "white collar" worker.

I'm middle class! :roll:

My ancestors came from England, Scotland, Italy and some Jewish from I don't know where, but they arrived in 1936 plus almost certainly some black African who arrived in Liverpool.

I'm a mongrel! 8O

My ex is French, Italian, Algerian and Greek.

My children are Europeans (for another 23 months!) :oops:

I can claim to be most anything...

But really I am just me :D

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

Also a Brit here, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, tractor county lol

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

Voyagergirl wrote:

I'm a mongrel! 8O

Isn't everyone ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

In historical terms, everybody is a "mongrel."

I'm curious: Could one, say from London, understand the local dialect of the area.

Is the vocabulary English, but the pronunciation Norwegian.

I can't lie: I'm a Yank LOL...so maybe I shouldn't be in this thread :P

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

30 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm curious: Could one, say from London, understand the local dialect of the area.

I'm going to talk in general terms here.

Not counting recent immigrant languages (which would include everything from Polish to Bulgarian to Farsi to Urdu to Runasimi) there are several main languages spoken in Britain (!= the UK or the archipelago). These are English, Welsh, Scots and Gaelic.

Within that, there is local, regional and clinal variation. In the Northern Isles, the local dialects of Scots are heavily influenced by Old Norse via Norn (both functionally extinct). This includes a lot of vocabulary not found in English or other forms of Scots. An example would be the word for "small": "peerie" (Shetland) and the related "peedie" (Orkney). Even other native Scots speakers may need to listen very carefully to a native speaker of Orcadian (I've seen it happen: it's embarrassing!).

Gaelic, which isn't even related to English or Scots is still spoken as a first language in parts of the Outer Hebrides, although most if not all speakers of Gaelic are bilingual. Most place names are from Gaelic, ON, or corruptions of same. Most place names in Orkney and Shetland are derived from ON.

The Scots-accented English of much of Edinburgh would be intelligible to someone from London, but Glaswegian (Glasgow) or Doric (Aberdeen) probably wouldn't be, and even perhaps not to many other native Scots speakers. Cockney (parts of London) or Scouse (Liverpool) might be unintelligible to a speaker of a more formal speaker of English, never mind many Scots.

I register switch. When talking to someone from outside the Scottish central belt I'll typically speak a very formal version of English. If I'm in a cafe on the Fife coast I'll switch instinctively to the Lowland Scots I learned in the playground.

Hope that helps.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:59 am

Roo95 wrote:

Aren't The Darkness from Lowestoft?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:06 am

Niall wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm going to talk in general terms here.

Not counting recent immigrant languages (which would include everything from Polish to Bulgarian to Farsi to Urdu to Runasimi) there are several main languages spoken in Britain (!= the UK or the archipelago). These are English, Welsh, Scots and Gaelic.

Within that, there is local, regional and clinal variation. In the Northern Isles, the local dialects of Scots are heavily influenced by Old Norse via Norn (both functionally extinct). This includes a lot of vocabulary not found in English or other forms of Scots. An example would be the word for "small": "peerie" (Shetland) and the related "peedie" (Orkney). Even other native Scots speakers may need to listen very carefully to a native speaker of Orcadian (I've seen it happen: it's embarrassing!).

Gaelic, which isn't even related to English or Scots is still spoken as a first language in parts of the Outer Hebrides, although most if not all speakers of Gaelic are bilingual. Most place names are from Gaelic, ON, or corruptions of same. Most place names in Orkney and Shetland are derived from ON.

The Scots-accented English of much of Edinburgh would be intelligible to someone from London, but Glaswegian (Glasgow) or Doric (Aberdeen) probably wouldn't be, and even perhaps not to many other native Scots speakers. Cockney (parts of London) or Scouse (Liverpool) might be unintelligible to a speaker of a more formal speaker of English, never mind many Scots.

I register switch. When talking to someone from outside the Scottish central belt I'll typically speak a very formal version of English. If I'm in a cafe on the Fife coast I'll switch instinctively to the Lowland Scots I learned in the playground.

Hope that helps.

Good post - although Cockney is only one part of East London (if you were born where you can hear the Bow bells ringing you are a Cockney)

I love accents and dialects (along with learning about cultures and languages). My town has just 1 word that it holds as it's own odd local creation from many years ago and everyone I know here knows it, and no one outside the town seems to have a clue.

Cheeselog (that is what we call a woodlouse)

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2017, 12:24 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Roo95 wrote:

Aren't The Darkness from Lowestoft?

Yes they are, I used to stay at the drummers house as his brother used to baby sit me as a kid

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm

Niall wrote:

I don't relate, at all.

Unfortunately, what you write makes it sound like you think the British (whoever they might be) are better than everyone else.

Yes, I think i could be getting the same jitterbug feeling when I'm speaking to members of the national migration clergy and American Actors, playwrights and subtitleists. :|

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:01 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

Cheeselog (that is what we call a woodlouse)

Ha Ha love it.

Quote:
1. Cheesy-bugs or Cheeselogs (England)

2. Slaters (Scotland, New Zealand and Australia)

3. Gramersows or gramfers (Cornwall, England)

4. Butchy boys (Australia)

5. Boat-builders (Newfoundland, Canada)

6. Chisel bobs (England)

7. Woodpigs or timberpigs (England)

8. Monkey peas or peaballs (England)

9. Pishamares (England)

10. Potato bugs or tomato bugs (United States)

11. Sow bugs (United States and Canada)

12. Chuggie pigs, chuggy-pegs or chucky pigs (England)

13. Crunchy bats (England)

14. Wood bugs (Western Canada)

15. Pill bugs or roly-polies (United States)

16. Carpenters (Eastern Canada)

17. Granny greys (Wales)

18. Billy buttons (England)

19. Doodle bugs (United States)

20. Parson pigs (Isle of Man)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:18 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

Cockney is only one part of East London (if you were born where you can hear the Bow bells ringing you are a Cockney)
Empathy wrote:
Can't tell if he was from Poplar or not and I'm not even sure CockneyRebel has recited his tales on his bowbell experience, nor wants to.
All i can picture is ''The Bells! The Bells! of Rotherhithe!'' My gramps' family coming from the EastEnd and situated near the docks.. and central to most tubes.. spitalfields is somewhere within that district,but i just know my grea great gramps ran as gangmaster for most of Surrey Commercial Docks and Royal Albert Docks.
I had bowbells near me, they were actually church bells signalling some wedding or other..being centrally based in the past adjective, you could hear literally everything.

I love accents and dialects (along with learning about cultures and languages).

Empathy wrote:
I've been brought up around plenty of dialects so as fascinating as it has been for you, I'd say limiting the choice of languages to a few, makes spelling and pronounciation better. My accent is broad Hants, as I've been born and bred here but I've been brought up in a family of Londoners, and Welsh and French so I am not at all surprised I've strayed towards the English tea rose variety.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:23 pm

Thanks very much, Niall.

I am assuming that "Scots" is either derived from, or is a dialect of, English. I know it's not Gaelic.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:35 pm

I'm a Brit. My county happens to have one of the ugliest accents.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2017, 6:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Thanks very much, Niall.

I am assuming that "Scots" is either derived from, or is a dialect of, English. I know it's not Gaelic.

Scots is a Germanic language, closely related to English. Gaelic is a Goidelic language, only very, very distantly related to either. English is closer to German than Gaelic is to English or any of the surviving continental European languages. They are not mutually intelligible.

Here is an article in Gaelic. I think this is about the USA: http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/01/27 ... -bhagairt/ Something about public land in America, I think. Something about the land of a big hill, possibly one that's "very wet" ("drùidhteach"), or maybe just a reference to a big river. There are mentions of Roosevelt and John Muir, which are giveaways. I know some vocabulary (it can be useful in the hills), mostly geographical and cultural, but don't speak the language.

Scots diverged from what became modern standard English during the Middle English period. There are modern loan-words from both English and Gaelic, but there are several forms, from Braid (broad Scots), through to Scottish Standard English, which is what you'll hear in Edinburgh, for example. I speak Lallans, but usually only around other Lallans speakers. Here is an article about French influences on the work of Robert Burns: http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/04/25 ... ae-or-dee/ This is Braid rather than Lallans, so I can read it, but need to check some vocabulary.