SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:59 am

Is Anyone Here A Heavy Smoker?

Do you want to quit but cant ?

Is smoking considered a stim ?

You can have 3 choices in this poll.

Also are there any smokers where ASD contributed to you starting smoking ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2017, 12:15 pm

I smoke sometimes. It helps when stress levels are too high.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:12 pm

A few cigars a week. I just selected "part time smoker" though as I think the question and choices are directed towards cigarette smokers. Chainsmoking cigars would make you very sick very fast!

Hookah's alright too but it's more a social thing so not like I've had a chance for a go at that in ages.

I didn't pick up smoking because of AS in particular. What got me into it was I had wanted to try smoking a cigar, and a friend of mine was going off to have one and he let me tag along. I very quickly found that the nicotine was very handy for helping me focus so I let it become partly an activity to unwind, and partly to help with my studying. I like the taste of cigars and seeing how different ones compare too.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

Never smoked before.

But wow, it certainly hadn't occurred to me that smoking might be a stim. Combining the addition with the stim would make it extra hard to quit. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:53 pm

I've never inhaled cigarette smoke. I inhaled marijuana smoke when I was 18, back in 1979. It caused harm, because the guy who gave me the marijuana tried stuff on me.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 3:05 pm

It's not often I face palm, but this thread made me double face palm.

If you were taking heroin would that be a stim also? If you smoke you're just a weak addict addicted to a substance, stop blaming everything bad in your life on autism.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

Chichikov wrote:

If you were taking heroin would that be a stim also? If you smoke you're just a weak addict addicted to a substance, stop blaming everything bad in your life on autism.

I saw OP as just throwing out some questions to allow for disc. but if that's what he thinks then yeah that's pretty silly. But then again he did pust it in the autism subforum... :|

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 4:11 pm

Chichikov wrote:

Thanks for your opinion , I guess my thread touched a nerve with you.

My gut instinct is to tell you to jog on but I shall refrain.

It's good to hear different opinions.

As for your heroin question I don't know the answer but the act of intravenously taking heroin can be very ritualized so I don't see why the whole preparation act leading up to depressing the plunger cant be considered a stim but I'm not an autism expert , are you?

As for being a weak addict , your right , I'm a slave to the weed and I love it.

As for blaming everything bad in my life on autism I have to first find out if I have autism before I can do that so get your hand ready for more face palms as I will undoubtedly press more of your buttons by asking stupid questions.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

As for your heroin question I don't know the answer but the act of intravenously taking heroin can be very ritualized so I don't see why the whole preparation act leading up to depressing the plunger cant be considered a stim but I'm not an autism expert , are you?

As for being a weak addict , your right , I'm a slave to the weed and I love it.

As for blaming everything bad in my life on autism I have to first find out if I have autism before I can do that so get your hand ready for more face palms as I will undoubtedly press more of your buttons by asking stupid questions.

Touched a nerved with me? Not at all. Looks like you're the one with the touched nerve. I'm just trying to give you some advice, take it or leave it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Touched a nerved with me? Not at all. Looks like you're the one with the touched nerve. I'm just trying to give you some advice, take it or leave it.

you belittled my thread , cast aspersions on my character and implied that I blame everything bad in my life on autism.

That sounds to me like I touched a nerve.

There was no relevant advice in your post except that you think smoking is not a stim.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
you belittled my thread

Suggesting that smoking could be a stim is literally ridiculous. Not only that but it's dangerous too.

SaveFerris wrote:
cast aspersions on my character

I don't see where I did that, if you're referring to being an addict then that is simply a factual statement. If it upsets you then that's something for you to take away and think about.

SaveFerris wrote:
There was no relevant advice in your post

Don't blame everything bad on ASD. As I said above, it's a dangerous path to lead people down, it gives them an "out" or an excuse for bad traits and\or bad behaviours. Instead people should realise that they are someone *with* a ASD, it isn't their entire identity. They can still make the right choices and right decisions, and if you make a wrong one you can't use ASD as some "get out of jail free card". If you smoke it's because you're a smoker. No more, no less. You do it as much as any non-ASD smoker and you do it for the same reasons.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

I hope you stop pushing each others' buttons.

I haven't smoked in 15 years but I still 'smoke' my pen if I'm nervous. That could be a stim.

It's still a lot of work to stay off cigs. I get a craving for cigs at the dentist's, for example. I have to fling myself into a cab before I buy cigs and smoke them.

"Don't blame everything bad on ASD." If I have a battle to fight then I will fight it and win, notwithstanding people who tell me the battle is illusory.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:25 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Suggesting that smoking could be a stim is literally ridiculous. Not only that but it's dangerous too.

I don't think it's a ridiculous suggestion.

Chichikov wrote:
I don't see where I did that, if you're referring to being an addict then that is simply a factual statement. If it upsets you then that's something for you to take away and think about.

You called me a weak addict.

Not everyone who smokes is a nicotine addict , just because you take an addictive substance does not mean you are addict. You can be addicted to the ritual and not the drug. There's no doubt that nicotine can lead to addiction but it's not a guarantee.

So are you saying if I get upset about something that's not true the problem is mine not the accusers - sounds like faulty logic to me.

Chichikov wrote:

Don't blame everything bad on ASD. As I said above, it's a dangerous path to lead people down, it gives them an "out" or an excuse for bad traits and\or bad behaviours. Instead people should realise that they are someone *with* a ASD, it isn't their entire identity. They can still make the right choices and right decisions, and if you make a wrong one you can't use ASD as some "get out of jail free card". If you smoke it's because you're a smoker. No more, no less. You do it as much as any non-ASD smoker and you do it for the same reasons.

Where have I blamed anything bad on ASD? I think you are confusing me with a personality type you don't like as I have not done anything you have accused me of. Thanks for your opinions though , as Bob Hoskins once said "It's Good To Talk"

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:35 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

I've explained why it is over my last few posts.

SaveFerris wrote:

If you're a smoker then you are.

SaveFerris wrote:
Not everyone who smokes is a nicotine addict

That's just something you tell yourself.

SaveFerris wrote:
So are you saying if I get upset about something that's not true the problem is mine not the accusers

Straw-man argument, the point is that it *is* true.

SaveFerris wrote:
Where have I blamed anything bad on ASD?

Suggesting that smoking is a stim is pretty much that.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:44 pm

...I've never smoked. I disliked my parents' second-hand smoke, as we now call it, though they were hooked, they discouraged me. My mother died, at 61, from her smoking-caused lung cancer - She'd quit by then, but presumably it might've happened earlier if she hadn't...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:52 pm

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I've explained why it is over my last few posts.

replying: "it's just ridiculous." Isn't an explanation, it's merely an opinion, and to be honest it's barely a sentence.

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

If you're a smoker then you are.

If you'd bothered to read his posts, he already said he didn't smoke tobacco, only weed, of which even the DEA agrees is not physically addicting.

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Not everyone who smokes is a nicotine addict

That's just something you tell yourself.

It's true, not every that smokes ends up being a pack a day smoker, I know a few people that will have a smoke when they're at the bar here and there, but don't smoke anywhere else.

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
So are you saying if I get upset about something that's not true the problem is mine not the accusers

Straw-man argument, the point is that it *is* true.

Again, that's not an argument, that's an opinion, at least without evidence cited. Also putting an asterisk around the operative verb does not magically make it factual, it merely points out laziness in citing evidence for the claim.

Chichikov wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Where have I blamed anything bad on ASD?

Suggesting that smoking is a stim is pretty much that.

The OP never claimed it was, the OP merely asked others if it was a stim for them.