Annoyed that people think I'm high-functioning

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChristinaTheHobbit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2015, 8:02 am

This is mainly a rant in hopes that there are other people out there who can sympathize.

I get really annoyed when I tell someone I have autism and they're like "oh, you must be very high-functioning!" I think it's supposed to be a compliment, but it honestly just belittles the struggles I go through everyday to appear as a normal adult.

I'm not high-functioning at all, my facade has come from years of social training, manner and etiquette classes, and therapy as well as speech therapy. My sensory issues are managed carefully and meticulously. I have to accustom myself to the noise of everyday life before I step out of my door and even then I have to make sure that I have enough scheduled breaks to calm down.

There's a little book of velvet swatches in my purse at all times to finger when I need help blocking out the different sensory inputs from around me (like the woman who always wears strong perfume to work or those damned overhead lights). Whenever I need to stim, I excuse myself to a bathroom so people won't have to see me lose it. I isolate myself if I feel like a meltdown is imminent and I have coping techniques to put off a shutdown until I'm alone (even though that makes the shutdown even worse).

When people congratulate me for being high-functioning I feel like they've slapped me in the face. I know logically that they think that because they don't see the monumental effort I go through everyday to appear normal. Still, it's hurtful and is really annoying. Does anyone else out there ever feel like this?

AAA- The androgynous and asexual autist

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 8:58 am

ASD is an invisible disability, and unless people actually have an understanding of the difficulties they will assume you'r pretty high functioning unless you are stimming enough to rock a boat or drooling bucketloads.
I am what you could call a high functioning aspie, but as any aspie i still have loads of issues. My friends don't "get it" when it comes to why i can only stand highly social situations for a limited time, or why i am completely clueless in some social situations. Unless someone has taken the time to actually read up on and understand the situations aspies face, they are going to assume you are "normal" if you are physically able and appear vaguely humaniod.

Their statements are probably not meant to belittle the challenges you face, they are assumptions based on very little evidence. You can't make people stop saying it, but you can change your reaction to it. It is ignorance more than insult.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:58 am

This is something Autism Speaks could help with--more articles on what people should say.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news- ... ism-parent

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 10:14 am

When someone complains or acts weird I miss something I kind of want to respond "you know I'm working really hard at this and doing the best I can". Seems like when they say this to you is a time to say"thanks, yes, I work really hard and appreciate you noticing".

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 10:39 am

It is just a label, it is not meant as a judgement. Labelling things make the world easier for people.
Do not be offended by it.

And deciding if you are HF or not? Well, that is even for some therapists difficult, so do not blame the people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 10:55 am

If anyone thinks you are, you're doing a good job. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 06 Apr 2015, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

I feel exactly the same way!! !

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

ChristinaTheHobbit wrote:
This is mainly a rant in hopes that there are other people out there who can sympathize.

I get really annoyed when I tell someone I have autism and they're like "oh, you must be very high-functioning!" I think it's supposed to be a compliment, but it honestly just belittles the struggles I go through everyday to appear as a normal adult.

I'm not high-functioning at all, my facade has come from years of social training, manner and etiquette classes, and therapy as well as speech therapy. My sensory issues are managed carefully and meticulously. I have to accustom myself to the noise of everyday life before I step out of my door and even then I have to make sure that I have enough scheduled breaks to calm down.

There's a little book of velvet swatches in my purse at all times to finger when I need help blocking out the different sensory inputs from around me (like the woman who always wears strong perfume to work or those damned overhead lights). Whenever I need to stim, I excuse myself to a bathroom so people won't have to see me lose it. I isolate myself if I feel like a meltdown is imminent and I have coping techniques to put off a shutdown until I'm alone (even though that makes the shutdown even worse).

When people congratulate me for being high-functioning I feel like they've slapped me in the face. I know logically that they think that because they don't see the monumental effort I go through everyday to appear normal. Still, it's hurtful and is really annoying. Does anyone else out there ever feel like this?

Am sure that you're aware that your complaint makes no sense.

What people mean when they say that is "I thought you were normal", or "NT" or whatever. So "instead of calling you a liar I will just say that you 'must be high functioning'" . Normal is higher functioning than "high functioning". So if you come off as normal than all of your hard work has paid off!

Just curious: would you prefer that people say "its obvious that you're a basket case" (which would mean that all of your hard work was for nothing)? If you came off as low functioning despite all of your hard work wouldnt that be far more demoralizing?

I mean I kinda get what you're saying, but I don't get what you're saying.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 9:48 am

I have had people assume that when I feel maybe more medium functioning, and it does sort of feel like dis-validating of the struggles I do go through on a daily basis. As for stimming though if it calms you, maybe you should find things you can do that aren't too distracting to other people to need to go somewhere else...I mean I stim around people, and I do not think people see it as me 'losing it' but my stimming is certainly much more subtle than when I actually lose it. I don't know just seems like from your post your spending a lot of energy possibly more than you need to all to not appear to have autism on the outside which might be part of why it feels like a meltdown waiting to happen so much....also people see what they see, if they don't see you struggling and you come off normal enough and mention you have autism of course they'll assume its high functioning....some people assume if you can talk you must be high functioning.

Bookmaker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2015, 9:59 am

If an NT tells me I'm high-functioning I just say "Thanks, so are you."

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm

I've learned to be a chameleon as well, taking in my surroundings and adjusting my outward behaviour to <blend in>.

Occasionally I get things wrong and you can hear the sound of jaws hitting the floor and people saying "I can't believe you just said/did that..." 8O

Oh well.

Welcome to our world - you're in good company.

8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
I've learned to be a chameleon as well, taking in my surroundings and adjusting my outward behaviour to <blend in>.

Occasionally I get things wrong and you can hear the sound of jaws hitting the floor and people saying "I can't believe you just said/did that..." 8O

Oh well.

Welcome to our world - you're in good company.

8)

Oh well, even normies goof up too in social situations. If you still goof up every now and then, I wouldn't worry about it because everyone makes mistakes. We don't need to be perfect. Just use that experience and don't do that again in the future and lesson learned.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2015, 2:23 pm

Why not take it as a compliment. You are doing well enough that people are shocked and think you are high functioning- that is good. High functioning should not be confused with being "only slightly autistic". Many people that are high functioning are only very slightly autistic, but many people (like Temple Grandin perhaps) are actually very autistic, yet high functioning.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 2:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Am sure that you're aware that your complaint makes no sense.

ChristinaTheHobbit's complaint makes perfect sense, and the remark she's complaining about is by no means a compliment, even if an NT pretends that it is. I have said for years it's insensitive and condescending to even use the term "MILD autism" because there's no such thing, there's just autism and various degrees of acquired coping mechanisms. "High Functioning" only means you have enough intellectual ability to fake normalcy to a limited extent, but the downside of that is, the better you fake it, the less anyone believes you're having a real problem to begin with.

When some NT tells you you're "High Functioning" they don't mean "you're handling your handicaps well," what they mean is "Oh, right, another whiner faking a made-up disability."

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2015, 3:03 pm

"Mild" autism ticks me off too. I think people just want to look away, so they negate what you've just said. I don't think it's intended well at all. It just sort of erases you.

Here's something I've learned that helped me to understand, but I don't share it very often. It's about IQ. People think high-functioning means high IQ, which it often does. But that high IQ is not even across the board. Mine wobbles above and below Normal, then peaks right off the top of the page for Verbal, then comes back down to wobbling below and above Normal. Finally! Now I know why I'm an egghead that can't boil an egg. Why I'm spectacularly good at some things and totally lost at others.

Knowing why I do this helps me face the idiots who have opinions about me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:36 pm

High-functioning only means lack of intellectual disability.