Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fodderstompf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2007, 2:14 pm

Does anyone ever get this? Unwillingly seeing patterns in things. I often can't get to sleep cause I keep seeing them, in windows, shelves, etc. It's a right hassle.
It has once or twice been remarked to me that this may be an aspie thing, but I'm not too sure.
Anyone?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 2:21 pm

That has never crossed my mind.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 2:22 pm

Yes, I have this problem as well.
I see patterns in text as well, which can be distracting at university. I have a thing about counting as well, so when I see a pattern, I start counting things in it etc. It can be quite tiring.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

03 Jun 2007, 2:29 pm

I do it too--I find it helpful when playing games--but it's something I can "switch on," sort of.

PBNJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2007, 2:31 pm

This has been extremely distracting for me since I was an infant. I would stare at patterned things like my life depended on it, and would sometimes arrange symetrical objects in ways that would make patterns. Today I still tend to think about patterns way too much, like drawing 1024 patterned triangles in groups of exponent numbers in my binder when I should be copying notes, or finding patterns in the prime factors of what time it is. The thoughts are rather intruding, but I wouldn't change it because it gives me a knack for noting inconsistencies as well as being mentally calming.

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 2:34 pm

i see them all the time, usually on floors and walls and when i close my eyes. usually when i stare at things i see patterns on them and i see auras sometimes. i draw them and my art teacher says that they are 'astounding'.
i wonder why, i see them all the time. :?

Last edited by Kris94 on 03 Jun 2007, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

03 Jun 2007, 2:34 pm

For me it has gotten much better over the years. I still notice patterns here and there, but they are not that distracting.

However, I still get a very uncomfortable feeling if I see that a pattern has been disturbed. For example, if there is supposed to be a row of 20 equidistant squares on the wall, and somebody has left off a square or put it on the wrong spot.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2007, 3:02 pm

yes. my brain looks for patterns. It's one of the reasons I love music and hate crowds of people.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 3:10 pm

I see patterns all the time, but it has not been much of a real trouble. Oh yes, if I touch something with my right hand I will want to touch similarly with my left and such, and in the pattern recognition part of tests I often see different ones from the ones tested for, but no real troubles.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2007, 3:10 pm

Sopho wrote:
Yes, I have this problem as well.
I see patterns in text as well, which can be distracting at university. I have a thing about counting as well, so when I see a pattern, I start counting things in it etc. It can be quite tiring.

wurd. I do that too listening to lectures. I literally count the amount of times a word is said, soon I'm a vegetable.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

03 Jun 2007, 3:18 pm

nutbag wrote:
Oh yes, if I touch something with my right hand I will want to touch similarly with my left and such.

When somebody accidentally steps on my left foot, I would like them to step on my right foot as well. I control myself now, but when I was a kid I would actually ask them to do it.

ljoon

03 Jun 2007, 3:32 pm

I have a thing for symmetry. I also get fixated on certain words if they seem out of place or foreign.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

03 Jun 2007, 3:42 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
nutbag wrote:
Oh yes, if I touch something with my right hand I will want to touch similarly with my left and such.

When somebody accidentally steps on my left foot, I would like them to step on my right foot as well. I control myself now, but when I was a kid I would actually ask them to do it.

I get that. I also have a problem with pavements when they're wet in places or there's been a lot of work on them (i.e. random black tarmac spots and the like) - I have to put both feet on the same colour pavement, or both on a wet patch else I'm really bothered by it and get all fitty..

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 3:46 pm

Hey, I get that also, normaly in strings of information, (number plates, text etc.) 8O

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 3:53 pm

Me too. Sometimes it can be a distraction, when I'm trying to concentrate on the "big picture". Sometimes it can be a harmless diversion, like the time a few years ago when I created constellations in the patterns of the ceiling tile in the emergency room. And sometimes it can be pretty darn useful, like at work when working on a problem. (The powers-that-be above me have acknowledged and comended my ability to spot discrepancies or incongruities that other people miss, for instance.)

PBNJ

03 Jun 2007, 4:11 pm

It seems detail noticing definitely pervades the aspie mindsight. I know that I could be in a tropical rainforest with lush green flowers and frolicking wildlife, but if there are signs and information or patterns to be read, that's where my attention is headed