Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 11:02 am

I was wondering if any of you experienced occasional or prolonged tics as a result of ASD. Just to be clear, tics are any involuntary movement or sound, while stimming is any voluntary repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects. I had a head jerking/grunting tic for a while, and it sometimes still happens when I am experiencing a strong emotion. Just wondering :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 11:12 am

I'd call it involuntary stimming. I'm often unaware of doing this sort of thing. When I start becoming too animated and noisy someone has to help me settle down.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 11:15 am

EzraS wrote:
I'd call it involuntary stimming. I'm often unaware of doing this sort of thing. When I start becoming too animated and noisy someone has to help me settle down.

That's a pretty good term to use :D . People often get mad at me for making noise, but it's not like I can really stop the behavior by myself.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:16 pm

What sort of noises do you make?

I guess I have these sorts of "stims," too. I used to sing opera on the subways (badly).

Nowadays, I might say, "I am the Wolfman...indeed I am." It's just fun for me to do.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:24 pm

It's mostly grunts and shrieks and plain weird noises, but I do have some sayings I say when I am nervous or happy. I consider that more voluntary than involuntary, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:29 pm

One of my favorites: "All Quiet on the Western Front"--meaning "everything is cool and mellow."

It's a famous book by a man named Remarque, which talked about German soldiers during World War I, and what they went through. It was "radical" for its time because it gave the German viewpoint on the war, rather than the Allied view.

In truth, it was quite an ironic title. But I made it into an unironic statement.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One of my favorites: "All Quiet on the Western Front"--meaning "everything is cool and mellow."

It's a famous book by a man named Remarque, which talked about German soldiers during World War I, and what they went through. It was "radical" for its time because it gave the German viewpoint on the war, rather than the Allied view.

In truth, it was quite an ironic title. But I made it into an unironic statement.

:D That's a good one. My favorite "saying" is one from Stampy lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:37 pm

Let me hear it :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:39 pm

When I first saw this thread I thought you meant tics what suck your blood. :lol:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I first saw this thread I thought you meant tics what suck your blood. :lol:

Our resident 'Know It All' comments: "That's ticks".

:lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Let me hear it :D

La la la la la lo lo lo lo lo la la la la la lo lo lo lo lo.......Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! What are you doing?

I actually got a different friend to say this with me all the time last year lol. Everyone around us was very confused. It was hilarious, though. :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Lol that's great :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm

Sounds like you had something in common.

When I was 15, I hung out with two other people. We called ourselves "The Three Musketeers." We had some sayings which were part of us, but not part of anybody else. I don't remember them, unfortunately.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sounds like you had something in common.

When I was 15, I hung out with two other people. We called ourselves "The Three Musketeers." We had some sayings which were part of us, but not part of anybody else. I don't remember them, unfortunately.

When I was in primary school, I had two friends and our teacher called us the three musketeers. I think my record for maintaining a friendship the longest was with them; our friendship lasted about 3.5 years. Now, most of my friends last about a year, and then they just become acquaintances because I can't maintain a relationship to save my life unless it's forced :( . I'm hoping this person is in my class next year; then we could stay good friends :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

I hope so, too.

I moved about a year after I had these friends I told you about---life was sad as a result. They were cool kids.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope so, too.

I moved about a year after I had these friends I told you about---life was sad as a result. They were cool kids.

I'm sorry about your friends :( . My two friends ditched me and didn't tell me why lol. It was probably something I said- my mom says I had the habit of coming across as weird and unable to realize when it was time to stop talking.