Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:09 am

My name is Kraftie, and I am the Wolfman.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

I don't know how severe your obsession is, but here's what helped me some.

I started getting pain when I was around 18. I eventually went to physical therapy which helped. When I had to rest or do exercises, I thought of my rest periods as giving me strength to do more of what I wanted later on. And anyway, if it hurts too much, I find I can't focus or that I feel irritable. Lots of stretches too, maybe while reading handsfree.

I also got involved in some RPGs a while back. I was obsessed, or addicted, or whatever word you want to use, so that I'd often stay up way too late and spend way more time than I wanted on the games. They were interactive so that my fellow players and I were creating stories and adventures together. I realized that the reason why I craved these games so intensely was that I could escape into a world in which everything my character did had meaning. Over time as I realized this, I felt the emptiness of my life and started trying to find ways to create more real meaning and more good things that were real.

At some point, I got involved with other people and interests so that before I knew it, I hadn't played the games in two weeks. Then I wondered how the heck I was going to come back after having disappeared, and I started putting off that awkward moment. Finally, time forced my hand and I couldn't play.

Have you given much thought to why you are obsessed?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

Did they ever find out what caused the pain?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

I never got a diagnosis, if that's what you mean. They defined it as "deep muscle pain," and obviously too much typing and using smartphones and bad posture/positioning are causes, but that's all I know.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've been working on computers for almost 40 years. Constant, constant typing. I never developed carpal tunnel syndrome; perhaps I can count myself fortunate?

Yep....I agree. If it's a nice day, why not go for a walk?

But I don't think being on WP is really unhealthy. I think it's actually teaching you things.

A heck of a lot better than being obsessed with Grand Theft Auto or something of that ilk.

Yeah.....or drugs. My mom had to get surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome- maybe it's somewhat genetic?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

DataB4 wrote:

I started getting pain when I was around 18. I eventually went to physical therapy which helped. When I had to rest or do exercises, I thought of my rest periods as giving me strength to do more of what I wanted later on. And anyway, if it hurts too much, I find I can't focus or that I feel irritable. Lots of stretches too, maybe while reading handsfree.

I also got involved in some RPGs a while back. I was obsessed, or addicted, or whatever word you want to use, so that I'd often stay up way too late and spend way more time than I wanted on the games. They were interactive so that my fellow players and I were creating stories and adventures together. I realized that the reason why I craved these games so intensely was that I could escape into a world in which everything my character did had meaning. Over time as I realized this, I felt the emptiness of my life and started trying to find ways to create more real meaning and more good things that were real.

At some point, I got involved with other people and interests so that before I knew it, I hadn't played the games in two weeks. Then I wondered how the heck I was going to come back after having disappeared, and I started putting off that awkward moment. Finally, time forced my hand and I couldn't play.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, I should really try to get involved more with people and other interests, and I'm thinking that going back to school will probably help that. The obsession isn't terrible, but it's one of the more intense ones I have at the moment. I think I'm obsessed because I've never really had a place before where I can basically talk nonstop about my interests (ASD at the moment) and it's like finding somewhere with a lot of people like me. I'm not going to totally leave, but I might try and cut back on the amount of posts I write (right now it's close to 100 per day :D ).

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

Typing ang gaming are very different. I haven't been a huge gamer, but you just lose track if time and you tend to hunch. The flying combat games I liked, I ended up leaning one way or the other and gripping the joystick too tight.
Typing, however, I think I've got control of. Sitting at the right height with the screen at the right height too. But what made the biggest difference was learning to touch type (KAZ software) so now I can keep my hands in a reasonable position and stare ahead at the screen, rather than hunching over the keyboard.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
DataB4 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, I should really try to get involved more with people and other interests, and I'm thinking that going back to school will probably help that. The obsession isn't terrible, but it's one of the more intense ones I have at the moment. I think I'm obsessed because I've never really had a place before where I can basically talk nonstop about my interests (ASD at the moment) and it's like finding somewhere with a lot of people like me. I'm not going to totally leave, but I might try and cut back on the amount of posts I write (right now it's close to 100 per day :D ).

Yes, that's exactly what I would have guessed... but that's something we already talked about in the other thread. I know many people are gonna contradict me, but I'm really thinking you actually want to go out and meet people. You love this board here because there are people you can talk to, at least that's one of the reasons...

I wish I could give you advice on how to meet people (aside from school), but I don't even know which country you live in (I guess US?) and I also don't know what kind of leisure facilities there are....

Pen&paper roleplaying could be something for you if you want to meet people (and many people who do pen&paper rpgs are real nerds :D). While geocaching is not really much about socializing indeed, it could still help you getting away from the computer (for most geocaches it's really just walking and nothing else...but even plain walking is really, really good for your health).

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

To all the people playing this down:
-I have chronic pain (vulvodynia, headaches, shoulder pain, muscle spasms) and it's not something anyone would want. If squiddy already has a genetic disposition for carpal tunnel syndrome, she should really look after her health. There are also many other reasons people shouldn't sit in front of computers all day (I know some people are not that sensitive, but those who are more unlucky in this regard will get back pain, shoulder pain, headaches, sometimes also overweight due to lack of exercise...).

-We should encourage people to go out and meet new people, even if it's an aspie board. Stampy has expressed here wish to meet people in real life, and yet everyone is like: No, as an aspie, you shouldn't go out, you don't need friends, it's the best to sit in front of a computer all day and be obsessed with your special interest. At least that's the vibe I get from here ;)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm

anti_gone wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
DataB4 wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I would have guessed... but that's something we already talked about in the other thread. I know many people are gonna contradict me, but I'm really thinking you actually want to go out and meet people. You love this board here because there are people you can talk to, at least that's one of the reasons...

I wish I could give you advice on how to meet people (aside from school), but I don't even know which country you live in (I guess US?) and I also don't know what kind of leisure facilities there are....

Pen&paper roleplaying could be something for you if you want to meet people (and many people who do pen&paper rpgs are real nerds :D). While geocaching is not really much about socializing indeed, it could still help you getting away from the computer (for most geocaches it's really just walking and nothing else...but even plain walking is really, really good for your health).

Thanks anti_gone. I do really enjoy talking to people here on WP, and I love seeing my friends at school. Outside of school, it's really awkward, so I don't like it as much. That being said, I am going to my friend's birthday party next month. That should be really fun.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how to meet people outside of school. I've tried sports, but that didn't go so well. I am going to be joining a club and doing orchestra in the fall at my school, though.

I'm going to look into geocaching some more. It seems like a great way to occupy my time and have fun :D .

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

anti_gone wrote:
To all the people playing this down:
-I have chronic pain (vulvodynia, headaches, shoulder pain, muscle spasms) and it's not something anyone would want. If squiddy already has a genetic disposition for carpal tunnel syndrome, she should really look after her health. There are also many other reasons people shouldn't sit in front of computers all day (I know some people are not that sensitive, but those who are more unlucky in this regard will get back pain, shoulder pain, headaches, sometimes also overweight due to lack of exercise...).

-We should encourage people to go out and meet new people, even if it's an aspie board. Stampy has expressed here wish to meet people in real life, and yet everyone is like: No, as an aspie, you shouldn't go out, you don't need friends, it's the best to sit in front of a computer all day and be obsessed with your special interest. At least that's the vibe I get from here ;)

Thanks for being so supportive :D . I'm not downplaying my pain here (I hope); although it is a little better today than it was yesterday. My mom also has had really bad arthritis all her life, so pain is pretty much genetic here :( .

I really should meet more people outside of school lol. I just would need some motivation to get away from something that interests me more than socializing. I do love being around people, but I find it really hard to socialize outside of school. I think this is probably because I can't think of anything to say. I love seeing people at school, though :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

Most 13-year-old kids aren't into what Stampy is into--especially things that involve autism and research into it. That's part of the problem.

But aren't there many 13-year-old kids who are into Stampy?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most 13-year-old kids aren't into what Stampy is into--especially things that involve autism and research into it. That's part of the problem.

But aren't there many 13-year-old kids who are into Stampy?

Not really: some kids at other schools are bullied for watching it at 9 years old. I think there are quite a few autistic people who are drawn to Stampy, at least according to the comments section (which is not reliable, I know :D ). I think it's because Stampy isn't neurotypical either. In two of his videos, he's mentioned that he's dyslexic. He also loves patterns and uses them in his Minecraft builds quite a lot. Most kids my age don't watch Stampy, although I'm sure I could find some that do. Just not at my school lol (except for my friend who I introduced, but she doesn't watch him much at all :( ).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

I think kids are into Minecraft, though, right?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think kids are into Minecraft, though, right?

Some kids, yes. I haven't met any yet :D .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm

What are kids into where you live?

I'm so "behind the times" that I really don't know what kids are into. Except I believe they're into Pokemon.