Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

If you see other people in your dreams, do they speak?
Usually 61%  61%  [ 28 ]
Sometimes 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Never 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Special Circumstances 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 46

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 1:37 pm

IstominFan wrote:
One of my dreams earlier in the year contained travel guides to Orenburg, Russia and Tashkent, Uzbekistan. I was going to a tennis tournament in which Denis Istomin was playing. I would love to meet Denis, but I hope it will be at an American tournament. I saw a travel guide about Central Asia at the library and am interested in reading it, not to travel there, but to read about Tashkent and what Denis Istomin might have experienced growing up there.

I hope you get to meet him one day, IstominFan. I think he would be honored to have such a loyal and genuine fan :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

The majority of dreams I recall are spectator-type scenarios where I'm a disembodied witness, otherwise it's like a silent film. I actually can't remember much of any sounds or speech from dreams unless they were the 1%, usually a very dark nightmare that has naturally stuck in my memories. Sometimes medications in the past have changed the content of my dreams to more interactive, verbal encounters.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2017, 1:50 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I have known for a long time that I can't write about fictional characters, and now I realize that I can only remember having one dream in which other people spoke. What is your experience?

I honestly don't think I know for sure whether people in my dreams speak or not. I experience dreams where it would make sense that people would be speaking, and I have the impression that interactions must have taken place in which speech would be natural, but I have no lasting impression when I wake up as to whether they actually spoke or not.

In my waking life I have aphantasia (no mental imagery), and I am still not 100% sure whether I "see" images in my dreams. I certainly "know what is going on," but whether I see images in dreams is less clear to me.

I see people giving definite yes or no answers to questions such as these, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone give my kind of "not sure" answer. Am I alone in being uncertain whether I hear people speak, or see images, in my dreams?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:19 pm

yes. even though i am a visual thinking person i still use and understand spoken language on a daily basis and your dreams are said to be based on your everyday experiences.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:19 pm

StampySquiddy,

That would be a dream come true in so many ways. Denis Istomin is a real inspiration to me, because he overcame great odds and succeeded in spite of doctors' predictions that his career was over.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:24 pm

IstominFan wrote:
StampySquiddy,

That would be a dream come true in so many ways. Denis Istomin is a real inspiration to me, because he overcame great odds and succeeded in spite of doctors' predictions that his career was over.

I hope that dream comes true :D . I would love to meet the YouTuber Stampy someday. Denis Istomin sounds like a pretty amazing person :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 11:44 am

There usually are people in my dreams and they usually speak

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 12:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I have conversations. Ideas get conveyed.

Though in one memorable dream one character said a nonsequitar, but some it didn't upset the narrative sweep of the dream.

By this I meant that I have what I remember to be conversations. The mechanics of how other folks and I converse is rarely a memorable thing. Maybe it is more like telepathy (like how alien abductees report how aliens communicate with them via telepathy) than like actual speech. Or maybe its actual speech. Who knows?

zzzsmokeyzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

I have pretty vivid dreams, but then again I am taking chantix to quit smoking and that is a side effect .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 4:31 pm

Everyone speaks in my dream. There was one dream where a guy that I knew of during my childhood who was mostly non-verbal though he said a few words. He told me in a dream that I once had that he always felt the most comfortable around me. Cats and dogs also speak in my dreams. One time before Chico passed away, I had a dream that he kept on saying "Give me a treat....give me a treat!"

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

My pets don't actually speak in my dreams but, last year, in a dream, Peter came to me and looked at me as if to say, "I'm okay. Thank you for being my mommy."

questor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:37 pm

Sometimes, but I seldom remember any details after waking up. Sometimes I speak in my dreams too, and a few times I woke up actually speaking out loud to someone in the dream I was having at the time I woke up. It is not unusual for me to wake up during a dream, as I have sleep apnea.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 9:29 am

TheSilentOne wrote:
The people in my dreams always speak, but a lot of the time, they say things they would never say in real life.

Same. It's weird, people will do stuff in my dreams that is completely different to how they actually are, and there tends to be a mixture of people I know and fictional characters in my dreams. I remember one dream I had where a city was being destroyed, yet no one cared except for me! I kept trying to warn people, but they were just like "Oh we know, but we don't care anyway, we never liked this city in the first place".

Similarly, I had a nightmare where a close friend died and my parents showed no sympathy or care (in the dream) and just told me to stop whining about my dead friend like I was whining over spilt milk rather than grieving the loss of a friend, and do chores lol. XD

I swear everyone is weirdly a psychopath in my dreams. I don't know why. :?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

I have vivid dreams, so yes.

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm

strings wrote:
I honestly don't think I know for sure whether people in my dreams speak or not. I experience dreams where it would make sense that people would be speaking, and I have the impression that interactions must have taken place in which speech would be natural, but I have no lasting impression when I wake up as to whether they actually spoke or not.

... Am I alone in being uncertain whether I hear people speak, or see images, in my dreams?

This question is fascinating. My initial reaction was yes, they do, but if I try to use my memories of dreams in a very focused way, like you, I find I can't tell. This is very strange. From now on, I will try to bring this back to mind first thing in the morning to test any dreams I've had. Highly confusing for something so obvious to me at first is really not at all clear.

If I try to imagine a single clear memory of a voice in a scene, I struggle.
Though now, after a couple of minutes, I can think of one recent dream where someone clearly, verbally, sang, and I joined in.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

People have been speaking very much in my dreams since I saw this thread title, yes.