Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 12:29 am

Natural History Museum changes dinosaur display after 10-year-old points out mistake

Quote:
Charlie Edwards was enjoying a birthday 'sleepover' at the world famous attraction when he noticed the error.

Charlie realised a silhouette display which was meant to represent an Oviraptor - a small carnivore with a parrot-like beak - was in fact a completely different dinosaur.

Museum staff had mistakenly used a silhouette of a Protoceratops which was a sheep-sized herbivore.

Charlie told his parents - Justin and Jade, both 29, about what he had spotted but their initial reaction was uncertainty as they could not believe it would be the museum's mistake.

But the passionate amateur palaeontologist refused to back down and after returning home Charlie's family e-mailed The Natural History Museum to see if he was correct.

Jade was delighted to receive a reply confirming that Charlie's instinct was spot-on and the museum even sent him a letter thanking him for his efforts.

It is Autism Acceptance Month.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 3:13 am

That is quite impressive to say the least.

I had something like that happen when I was 11. I was reading about the battle of Bouvines and the book said that Philip IV of France won it. I sent an email to publisher of the book that it was a literal impossibility. Philip II Augustus was king of France at the time and Philip IV wouldn't lead France till close to a century later.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2017, 3:22 am

^ did they reply?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 3:23 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ did they reply?

No they didn't. I guess not everyone has time for it that's the deal.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 5:03 am

Given that Protoceratops looked like an oversize chameleon, and Oviraptor looked like Velociraptors "special" cousin, me at 10 would probably have reacted in roughly the same way. Good on the kid and good on the museum for acknowledging it.