Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm

At about 11:00 this morning I sent a text to my friend, who's a guy I care about very much, that said "Hey, how's your day going so far?" He didn't reply, so 40 minutes later I send a text that said "Hello? You ok?" Still no reply, so I decided to try to call him about half an hour after that, but he didn't answer his phone. So 20 minutes after that, I sent yet another text that said "Ok, I'm really getting worried now. Will you please text me?" Then about 15 minutes after still not getting a response, I tried calling him again. Still no answer. At this point, I'm freaking out, wondering if he's ok. I even tried calling his cousin's phone. She didn't answer her phone, either. Also, I had to take some medication to help calm me down. That's how bad it got. But then I finally got a text from him and I was greatly relieved. So, was I overreacting? Was I being paranoid or is this normal for someone with AS to feel this way?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

Probably had his phone turned off.

Over reacting yes.

"Paranoid"? Strictly speaking no. The key ingredient of "paranoia" is suspicion. Suspicion that folks are plotting against you. I don't think that was what was going through your head.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 3:48 pm

I hate to say it: You were overreacting.

You never know what the guy might have been doing.

The time period was rather short for you to worry about him.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2017, 3:54 pm

Well, I guess it depends on how fast he usually replies. If he usually replies right away, I understand why you were worried. However, remember that it's completely normal for people to take time to reply. They're probably just busy with something else. Most of the time there's not anything to worry about. Although I do worry sometimes too, if people doesn't reply within hours. I don't text them again or call them though, cause in my experience there's never anything seriously wrong. Lastly, I wouldn't call it being paranoid, to me, it seems more like generalized anxiety. I'm not sure though, guess it depends on how often you experience situations like this.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 1:21 am

I'd say unless you knew he was having some serious problems which required checking up on his welfare to make sure he wasn't hurt or in trouble, then it was a big overreaction.
People have lives. They get busy and can't stop and chat. Not immediately replying to a text is not something to worry about with a normal adult. Ironically, completely ignoring texts is something many autistic people do that drives neurotypicals nuts.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 2:25 am

Overreacting. Probably related to cell addiction.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 3:01 am

idonthaveanickname wrote:
At about 11:00 this morning I sent a text to my friend, who's a guy I care about very much, that said "Hey, how's your day going so far?" He didn't reply, so 40 minutes later I send a text that said "Hello? You ok?" Still no reply, so I decided to try to call him about half an hour after that, but he didn't answer his phone. So 20 minutes after that, I sent yet another text that said "Ok, I'm really getting worried now. Will you please text me?" Then about 15 minutes after still not getting a response, I tried calling him again. Still no answer. At this point, I'm freaking out, wondering if he's ok. I even tried calling his cousin's phone. She didn't answer her phone, either. Also, I had to take some medication to help calm me down. That's how bad it got. But then I finally got a text from him and I was greatly relieved. So, was I overreacting? Was I being paranoid or is this normal for someone with AS to feel this way?

I suppose it really depends on what is typical for the person.