Reduced of sharing interests, even the special one

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ailurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

I know a lot of Aspies can go at very great length about their interests and even more for their special interests, but I find myself to be relatively secretive about them. I know there is this criteria in the DSM of "reduced sharing of interests". I really don't enjoy that much sharing my thoughts or my experiences on my special interests, even with people who has a similar one. I'm not exactly sure why. I guess I might be very protective of it. Like, I worry that by sharing it with others it might get corrupted by their visions of it and I don't see much value in the social connection I would get by sharing... Anyways, anyone else don't really like to talk about their interests?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 1:17 pm

I sometimes talk about my interests, but to be honest I would rather "do" some of them than talk about them. For example, I like talking about Stampy (a Minecraft YouTuber), but I would rather watch one of his videos than have a conversation about one.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

I have that same thing as well! I recently joined a site that has a lot of things about Fire Emblem(which is my favorite series). But after like 1 or 2 days I realized that I would prefer if I was watching someone play the game(and maybe talk while they're playing) or play the game! I find it hard to just talk about my special interests.(then again I'm more of a person who show how I feel about things through my actions not my words).

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I have that same thing as well! I recently joined a site that has a lot of things about Fire Emblem(which is my favorite series). But after like 1 or 2 days I realized that I would prefer if I was watching someone play the game(and maybe talk while they're playing) or play the game! I find it hard to just talk about my special interests.(then again I'm more of a person who show how I feel about things through my actions not my words).

Yeah; that's a great description of how I go about my interests as well :D . Although I do enjoy talking about Minecraft in the Games section with you!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

I don't feel comfortable talking about mine. I used to but not anymore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 4:26 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Yeah; that's a great description of how I go about my interests as well :D . Although I do enjoy talking about Minecraft in the Games section with you!

Thanks, I enjoy talking about minecraft with you as well! :D

League_Girl is your special interest something that's personal? I'm just curious as you say you use to be comfortable with it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

I like to talk about my interests, but I like to have other things to talk about as well. One of my interests, tennis, is an active pursuit, so I can watch it, talk about it and take lessons. I like to be in a place where I can talk about my interests.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

I'm very hush-hush about my interests when I'm around my family or coworkers. I'm more open about my interests when I'm with my friends. My friends are more accepting and understanding about my special interests.