Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me:
I sometimes find communicating very hard for a number of reasons: scared, miserable, it depends on my mood. By communicating, a real life scenario would be being afraid of asking for food at a families house, and sometimes I go 30 hours without food because I can't find a way to communicate non-verbally. I'm fully verbal, but sometimes I prefer to point and do non-verbal actions (not sure if any of you can relate). Any advice on what else I could do?
Thanks

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:04 pm

Unless you are writing poetry, people may have a hard time understanding what you are talking about if you are not clear to them.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

Sign language maybe? Texting/emojis?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 10:36 am

I agree with the texting and emoji idea. My autistic family members communicate that way a lot and I find it very easy to understand.

My husband often gets busy and stressed out at work and then can't bring himself to go out and get food for lunch. He'll go all day without eating and then come home just wrecked from the stress and the starvation. I ended up sending a plastic (mouseproof) container full of various microwavable foods, snacks, canned and boxed drinks that he can get into for emergencies. I then periodically replenish it by sending him a fresh bag of various food and drink items. Do you think you could put some low-stress food and drink items in a purse or backpack? I'd still work on the non-verbal communication methods, but if all else fails if you could just have something ON you that might help.

Because I'm thinking that if you're getting physically run down from not eating, that will make it harder to do something stressful like communicate, so it's kind of a vicious circle thing.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

I think texting and the Internet are a godsend for people like me on the autistic spectrum. It is a lot easier for me to communicate when I can choose each word and look at it in a message before sending it.

Maybe if you are going to be staying at a family's house for a while, before you arrive, you could send them an e-mail or a text to begin a conversation and be sure they will notice if they receive a message. (If you want, you could tell them that you sometimes find it easier to communicate that way.) Then you can continue messaging them while you are there if you have a question.

I don't know if it will always work, but it's worth a try.

: )

mitchel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:
I sometimes find communicating very hard for a number of reasons: scared, miserable, it depends on my mood. By communicating, a real life scenario would be being afraid of asking for food at a families house, and sometimes I go 30 hours without food because I can't find a way to communicate non-verbally. I'm fully verbal, but sometimes I prefer to point and do non-verbal actions (not sure if any of you can relate). Any advice on what else I could do?
Thanks

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How often does this scenario pop up? Is it an every day thing or rare occurrence?

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2017, 6:37 pm

I would suggest obtaining a better understanding of the fear. It sounds like there might be some psychological barriers. Maybe something a professional could help you with.

What is the context when you find it easier to communicate? What kind of things are present in both types of situations and what kind of things are only present when it is difficult? Answers to those questions may provide a starting place. Kind Regards. Shark

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
I think texting and the Internet are a godsend for people like me on the autistic spectrum. It is a lot easier for me to communicate when I can choose each word and look at it in a message before sending it.

Maybe if you are going to be staying at a family's house for a while, before you arrive, you could send them an e-mail or a text to begin a conversation and be sure they will notice if they receive a message. (If you want, you could tell them that you sometimes find it easier to communicate that way.) Then you can continue messaging them while you are there if you have a question.

I don't know if it will always work, but it's worth a try.

: )

Thanks for your reply and everyones reply above ^^ I will try the emoji thing but I know they will think I'm weird for doing it because I'm "supposed" to feel comfortable around them. But thank you all, this is definitely something I'm going to try.

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2017, 6:03 pm

mitchel wrote:
iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:
Thanks

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How often does this scenario pop up? Is it an every day thing or rare occurrence?

No problem. I'm 17. Whenever I'm out of my comfort zone, usually. Sometimes at home when people are round. It was rare, because I hardly went out of my house, but now I'm breaking that barrier, so inbetween rare and sometimes.

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
I would suggest obtaining a better understanding of the fear. It sounds like there might be some psychological barriers. Maybe something a professional could help you with.

What is the context when you find it easier to communicate? What kind of things are present in both types of situations and what kind of things are only present when it is difficult? Answers to those questions may provide a starting place. Kind Regards. Shark

I'm under a mental health professional. I'm not dx with it yet, but I score highly on almost all questionnaires I get given and get comments about some of my behaviors from other professionals. I like to use hand/body gestures a lot instead of talking sometimes. So if I wanted something, I would usually point. In the difficult situation, I feel like a barrier is stopping me from talking, and overworking myself on what to say. When I'm comfortable, I just say it (sometimes it could be rude lol) and sometimes it can be complete garble!