British TV personality Anne Hegerty discusses her Aspergers

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 9:43 am

I love The Chase, though I had no idea any of the chasers were autistic. Thanks for sharing.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:33 am

She was on Loose Women ( lunchtime chat show comprised of women ) the other day and couldn't remember if Hans Asperger was Austrian or German - I thought that was strange coming from an Aspie Chaser

Here is the interview

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 3:26 pm

She wouldn't be wrong in either case. He was Austrian of German descent.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 3:52 pm

IstominFan wrote:
He was Austrian of German descent.

Now that is a Chasers answer :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 1:43 am

Reality TV bosses 'anxious' over Chase star's autism

Quote:
The Chase's Anne Hegerty is appearing on hit reality series I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here and reveals her bosses were keen to reassure her about competing on the show with autism.

Speaking in an interview with The Sun on Friday, the Chase star, 60, admitted that she even felt they were "more anxious" about it than she was.

She explained: "They keep saying, 'You must say if there's a problem', and I keep saying, 'I'll be fine.' And they keep saying, 'No no no that's not good enough you have to promise if there's a problem...

"I might get peopled out, there might just be too many people around. I might feel like going to sit in the pool until everyone has shut up a bit... On the other hand it might have advantages if I'm not as good as other people at picking up on bad atmospheres I'll be happy drifting along."

Anne, who has Asperger's syndrome, did admit that the condition may make her "faceblind", meaning that it could lead her to get "some of the campmates mixed up."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 9:08 pm

'Everything shuts down': The Chase star Anne Hegerty gives an honest insight into how Asperger's affects her sex life as she says 'I almost zone out'

Quote:
Anne Hegerty has given a refreshingly honest insight into how Asperger's affects her love life.

The Chase star, 61, who is best known as The Governess, described she struggles with physical intimacy due to the developmental disability, saying when she does have sex 'I almost zone out'.

Anne, who is currently single, told OK! Magazine: 'What I have found is that I do fall in love but it tends to not be with people I meet in real life, I fall in love with historical or fictional characters.

'People I can put a bit of distance between, I get overwhelmed in the presence of actual people and everything shuts down.'

'I’ve found that with sex, too, it’s like I can’t be fully in it- that much intimacy, I almost zone out.'

Anne also described how she is embracing life in lockdown because she can avoid social situations and spend time on her own.

The British-born personality has also said that her Asperger's has led to her misreading signals from potential love interests in the past, but she also believes it has better aided her quiz knowledge.

So much so, that Anne claims she doesn't struggle with memory issues as she has the 'sort of mind that retains things'.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 9:32 pm

Zone out tendencies aren't certainly aren't specific only to AS people, from my observations. It was a sort of surprise to see Anne coming out with this, as I can't really imagine her having an intimate conversation about her private life in real life?

It has also interested me over the years that Mark has talked about her aspie features to the press, which none of the others have done. Maybe there is some kind of projection going on there.

He seems almost more AS to me - the occasional meltdowns when he experiences an unexpected loss on The Chase, storming out, punching the wall.... if Anne did that, would there be a different response to it? Yes, you bet there would be. If Mark knows he is AS, and chooses to hide it, I can see the benefits of that for him. They are both gifted with remarkable memory and very fast memory-retrieval gifts.

He chose Anne as godmother of his son, which would suggest a certain level of trust in and admiration of her qualities. He also persuaded her to appear on other shows.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 5:48 am

The Chase's Anne Hegerty hits out at people who say she 'battles' autism

Quote:
In a recent chat about her autism with OK! Online Anne explained that she doesn’t like to be labeled as “battling” the condition.

She said: “The point I would make is that I don't battle with autism - which is simply my personality - but I battle with people who don't consider what accommodations I need.”

Giving advice to those who have also been diagnosed, The Chase star continued: “Be assertive about what you need.

“If you're like me, and can't think as fast as the neurotypicals, don't let yourself be railroaded into trying to do things as fast as them.

“If you need to establish a routine that others will respect, make this clear to people. Obviously that works for me because I have skills other people want!”

She also discussed being bullied in school, issues in the romance/sex areas, and why she likes the lockdown.