Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Can stimming to music "count" as ASD stimming?
Poll ended at 30 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm
Of course! 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Yes 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
No way! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not sure 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I honestly don't care 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
It can be 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

I can't stay away from this forum :lol: !

I was curious as to what you guys thought on this topic. Does stimming to music count as stimming (in the DSM-5 criteria)? I was just curious since I need to stim when I hear music, while it seems like neurotypicals just do it to form a social connection or enjoy the music more. When I listen to music, I am more happy than I am if I wasn't listening to it. I usually stim more when I am happy as well (there doesn't have to be music for me to stim). I have seen neurotypical people rocking back and forth to music before, so what is the difference? Is there any difference? Feel free to share what you think :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

The answer to that would be:

It depends on the context and on the situation.

If you go according to the beat of the music, it's not true "stimming," most likely.

It might be stimming, though, if you, say, spin something while music is playing.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:28 pm

Okay, I get it more now :D . Thank you!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

I'd tend to say it's irrelevant whether it's to music or otherwise.

Certainly, I wouldn't call tapping your foot to music likely stimming, but if you are doing your normal repetative behaviour and the music just happens to make you keep time, the sure, it's stimming. Of course, if tapping your foot is your normal stim, then maybe tapping your foot to music could be stimming.

That said, people on the spectrum do tend to be more musical than those not on the spectrum, so regardless of whether it's stimming or not, it's still something more likely to be done by people on the spectrum.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 11:35 pm

The only way I "dance" is by stimming in time to music :lol: It's usually things I will also do as stims without music, just that listening to the music makes me want to stim in a certain way. I do have a few, though, that I will only do to music, and only certain songs. I would guess that stimming in time to music counts if it's something that you ordinarily do as a stim even without music. I know music has a tendency to evoke emotions, and emotions can make one stim. I think where it's different for neurotypicals is that they will usually only do these things when listening to music. Granted, I'm just guessing here, I could be completely wrong.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Villarroel35
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2017, 11:57 pm

Could anyone define that word "stimming"?

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2017, 12:29 am

Stim is a release of physical energy that is 'extra' ... "stemming from" an emotional charged up feeling with a needed relief. Everyone stims, but people on the spectrum do it to a unacceptable level in society -- it is defined as unacceptable by the people that surround you & not by real science. It is a behavior thing that is either tolerated or negative consequences make you learn to stop. If the stim is a helpful thing, & is forced to stop, the person will find other more acceptable ways to replace the stimming (or sometimes they turn to drugs & alcohol).

When NT's sit for extended period of time, they may bounce their leg -- that is self-stimulating because they may be bored. The mind needs stimulation -- individuals need different levels of stimulation, like learning, entertainment, thinking, sports ... that's why many people find meditation so difficult because meditation is trying to block out stimulus & help you control yourself better ... help you practice needing less stimulus.

I stim more when I'm alone -- it isn't on purpose, it just happens. When I'm around others I lock my muscles & am more aware of myself so I don't act weird -- don't do anything that others are not doing, & tend to copy people that I'm talking to. I didn't know I did that until multiple people asked me if I was making fun of them. I didn;t realize what I was doing, but after thinking about it knew it was because it seemed safer to copy rather than make my own movements in case I wasn't being acceptable. I figured they were being acceptable so just did what they did -- but learned copying wasn't acceptable either, except when laughter happened. You laugh when others are laughing -- that is acceptable copying, but don't copy how someone is moving, because they will think you are making fun of them.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2017, 2:29 am

IgA wrote:
Stim is a release of physical energy that is 'extra' ...

Interesting, I see it as an activity to keep my mind busy and block sensory input and calm myself down. My mind is always busy and processing everything around me 'without' filtering it. This is extremely overwhelming at times and this is the time I need to stim.

Cause or effect, or both maybe?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:36 am

I don't know... but I like the choices on your poll... made me laugh (in a good way)!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:59 am

Trueno wrote:
I don't know... but I like the choices on your poll... made me laugh (in a good way)!

:wink: I know some people here on this forum who couldn't really care less :D !

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:00 am

SplendidSnail wrote:

Certainly, I wouldn't call tapping your foot to music likely stimming, but if you are doing your normal repetative behaviour and the music just happens to make you keep time, the sure, it's stimming. Of course, if tapping your foot is your normal stim, then maybe tapping your foot to music could be stimming.

That said, people on the spectrum do tend to be more musical than those not on the spectrum, so regardless of whether it's stimming or not, it's still something more likely to be done by people on the spectrum.

Thank you very much for your reply. So something like rocking back and forth may still "count" as stimming, then? I was just curious since multiple autistic people I know in person stim a lot more with music then when there isn't any music. (including myself!)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:01 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
The only way I "dance" is by stimming in time to music :lol: It's usually things I will also do as stims without music, just that listening to the music makes me want to stim in a certain way. I do have a few, though, that I will only do to music, and only certain songs. I would guess that stimming in time to music counts if it's something that you ordinarily do as a stim even without music. I know music has a tendency to evoke emotions, and emotions can make one stim. I think where it's different for neurotypicals is that they will usually only do these things when listening to music. Granted, I'm just guessing here, I could be completely wrong.

Than you very much. This makes more sense :D .

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 11:43 am

When I sitm to music it looks something like this:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

Thanks for the video, Ezra :D ^^^^^^^^^

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 11:54 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. So something like rocking back and forth may still "count" as stimming, then? I was just curious since multiple autistic people I know in person stim a lot more with music then when there isn't any music. (including myself!)

It's not so much what's being done as why it's being done. If it's being done as a neurological reflex (for lack of a better term) due to autism, then it's stimming.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

Or perhaps this:

If there was any celebrity I would suspect of being autistic it would be Joe Cocker.

Last edited by EzraS on 24 Aug 2017, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.