Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:00 pm

The generalizations are the problem! Try discussing race like that and see where it gets you.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2007, 4:10 pm

KimJ wrote:
The generalizations are the problem! Try discussing race like that and see where it gets you.
The way I understand it someone is diagnosed if they exhibit at least some of those behaviors. So he didn't qualify it by saying "some" big deal. This isn't the same thing as race since it isn't proper to define someones race based on their behavior but it is the way you define an aspie.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:19 pm

Descriptions like that make me panic and I go through the I'm a fraud thing again. I just don't fit that stereotype.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:39 pm

She is a frustrated NT mother who curses the condition for making her son different, and not the way she dreams he should be.

I like Boston Legal.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:42 pm

She's a silly b***h, that's what she is.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 5:43 pm

Quote:
This isn't the same thing as race since it isn't proper to define someones race based on their behavior but it is the way you define an aspie.

And you don't diagnose or "define" a person based on their behaviors. ASD's are diagnosed by deficits a person has. Name-calling, assuming and listing only negative personality traits is derogatory, inaccurate and immature.

Of course it's "not the same thing as race", it's an analogy. You can list qualities that describe one Aspie and that describes that person. It's incorrect to then generalize to describe a whole group. The same standard applies to race, ethnicity, religious groups and people who dye their hair.
Her son may have all his negative traits because of many factors. She gave cause and effect reasons for her son's problems. You don't think stereotyping and slurring is wrong, good for you. I think most people find it immoral and incorrect.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 5:52 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
Other then making a lot of generalizations it seems like an accurate description of how a lot of kids with AS act.

Well, ***MY*** "ramblings" were ALWAYS in context! It was tangential at WORST! I ALSO never had a tantrum. Compared to most kids from ANY culture, country, class, etc... I was a nice kid! And teachers and my parents, and many acquaintances will tell you the SAME! AND, though I don't have much of a "life", I am FAR from living on SSI! It is ILLOGICAL to think that, as kids, they would go to school, do homework, perhaps walk MILES, and yet, as adults, will NEVER work! HOW STUPID!

Other than THAT stupidity, I guess they're right.

Steve

TheMaTrIx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2007, 6:04 pm

Quote:
the person with Aspergers will always put himself, his needs and EVERYTHING about him FIRST. Everything else is secondary. The asperger person usually has no empathy.

Reads like grade A BS to me.

Someone with aspergers talks about things hes interested in, not out of egocentricity, but because its what he knows about and is interested in.
Someone with aspergers doesn't put his needs first at all, an egotist does see other people, but thinks only of them as in function of aiding him, he comes first and others are only there for the grace of him. An authist or aspergers person on the other hand, feels like hes alone in the world. Big difference and exact opposites imho.

And lastly, people with aspergers are highly empathic and emotional, what do you think the sudden outbursts of anger and fear with some people come from? Problem is that the emotions and feelings of empathy are usually not translated to externally visible ones and empathy is only displayed with some people with aspergers trough direct action (someone needs money, you give it, that kinda stuff), not when the person that needs empathy shown, needs it trough an emotional response like facial expressions, hugs, etc. Someone with aspergers can feel extremely sad or happy for something that happend to someone else, but the emotion doesn't show, even if its burning a hole right trough their soul.

With a heavy autism case, where the isolation is nearly 100%, when someone is able to break trough the iron walls of solitude, this person is usually welcomed with massive amounts of emotion by the autists, just like a person thats been wandering around a desert or floating alone in the ocean for several months is overcome with emotion when he finally sees someone other then himself in this vast expanse of lonelyness.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2007, 6:15 pm

KimJ wrote:
And you don't diagnose or "define" a person based on their behaviors. ASD's are diagnosed by deficits a person has. Name-calling, assuming and listing only negative personality traits is derogatory, inaccurate and immature.

Of course it's "not the same thing as race", it's an analogy. You can list qualities that describe one Aspie and that describes that person. It's incorrect to then generalize to describe a whole group. The same standard applies to race, ethnicity, religious groups and people who dye their hair.
Her son may have all his negative traits because of many factors. She gave cause and effect reasons for her son's problems. You don't think stereotyping and slurring is wrong, good for you. I think most people find it immoral and incorrect.

I'll admit I'm not an expert on this and maybe you can enlighten me but looking at the DSM IV criteria it lists some behaviors and if you have them they check the box and that's how they diagnose you. i didn't say it was ok to generalize or that everything this guy said was true but in my experience most people say stuff like this and it's not something I'm going to condemn the guy for . I didn't see any slurs in his description maybe it was condescending but it's impossible to say if that's intentional or not he did say people with AS are brilliant and "little geniuses". I'm just playing the devils advocate here you're probably right.

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2007, 6:45 pm

An idiot who cant even spell finds a scapegoat for her own problems (because parenting is such a chore), and hopes that in doing so he/she has somehow educated people?

Somewhat pathetic, but incredibly typical.