aspergers: a different way of seeing the world.

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 464

02 Jun 2007, 8:04 am

I exist as a minority. I see my little boy with very real struggles and am unable to do much constructive to help him (ie keep his sense of self-worth high and confidence and humour maintained) because i am weak and inept at so many similar things. Sure I can understand it but I struggle to provide concrete examples in my own behaviours. I make do and fudge my way through but do not wholeheartedly embrase autism like some of you. No I do not want curing anymore than I want special treatment for being different. I do want the confidence and knowledge to make my way through life without isolation, fear, embarrassment and humiliation. I don't think I do badly considering.



SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 9:07 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
Kris94 wrote:
people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.


Why do people keep making these same old threads. Tell me exactly how the good outweighs the bad, Kris. Also, why do you attribute everything to AS? You wouldn't 'cease to be', you would continue to exist without any of the difficulties you have now. AS is responsible for the bad things, not the good things. We are incompatible with this social world and that is not something to be praised.


Wow! Just because YOU see no benefit doesn't mean others haven't. Since the benefits I talk of are *****THE***** publicised distinction between AS and Autism, I guess they ARE AS. The problems everyone talks about are mostly Just autism. Even the SOCIAL problem is one listed with autism, and how autism got its very name!

As for what would happen with some yet to be discovered cure, how is it that you know so much about something that doesn't exist, when "EXPERTS" know so little about something that DOES?!?

Steve



Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 9:16 am

SteveK wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:
Kris94 wrote:
people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.


Why do people keep making these same old threads. Tell me exactly how the good outweighs the bad, Kris. Also, why do you attribute everything to AS? You wouldn't 'cease to be', you would continue to exist without any of the difficulties you have now. AS is responsible for the bad things, not the good things. We are incompatible with this social world and that is not something to be praised.


Wow! Just because YOU see no benefit doesn't mean others haven't. Since the benefits I talk of are *****THE***** publicised distinction between AS and Autism, I guess they ARE AS. The problems everyone talks about are mostly Just autism. Even the SOCIAL problem is one listed with autism, and how autism got its very name!

As for what would happen with some yet to be discovered cure, how is it that you know so much about something that doesn't exist, when "EXPERTS" know so little about something that DOES?!?

Steve


Tell me anywhere in my one thousand, six hundred posts that I have said that I see no benefit from AS - you won't find it anywhere. Also, AS is autism, or do you deny its very definition.

As for this hypothetical 'cure', I could say the same thing about anyone who talks about it: it doesn't exist so how can you claim what it will and will not do? You can't. I'm just saying that people need to realise that if they magically didn't have AS then they wouldn't suddenly turn into this hated NT stereotype that they are parading around.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 10:13 am

Mitch8817,

No, I even implied here that AS IS autism, and it is. I am just simply saying that there has to be SOME benefit for it to be AS. Autism gives a WIDE range of symptoms, and requires no real benefit. AS has a floor, and does. So although AS is autism, autism is not necessarily AS.

And I apologize if I misunderstood what you were trying to say. BUT, even if the cure DID work without restructuring the brain, and you retained many or all of the benefits, that would mean that you still benefited from having AS! Now THAT would be great. If I could have had the zeal and ability I had when I was five, the knowledge I have now, and this fabled non verbal communication, WOW! If I could be assured of THAT, I WOULD take "the cure".

Keep in mind that I am very cynical now! I would probably be one of the last to take the cure. I would definitely need PROOF!

Steve



Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 10:40 am

I'm glad we can agree on some things then. I just fail to see how AS has 'added' anything to me at all, all I see is what it has taken away. I suppose it had added obsessions, but they can be quite detrimental. Increased IQ? Who knows.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 31 May 2007
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 352
Location: Elsewhere

02 Jun 2007, 12:09 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
Kris94 wrote:
people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.


Why do people keep making these same old threads. Tell me exactly how the good outweighs the bad, Kris. Also, why do you attribute everything to AS? You wouldn't 'cease to be', you would continue to exist without any of the difficulties you have now. AS is responsible for the bad things, not the good things. We are incompatible with this social world and that is not something to be praised.


i think that is a little closed minded. some may not reilize it, but as is a big part of them and plus, if we are living with it, we should be proud of it. :shameonyou:

:jester:


_________________
Haven't been here a while. Huh.


Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 1:02 pm

Kris94 wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:
Kris94 wrote:
people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.


Why do people keep making these same old threads. Tell me exactly how the good outweighs the bad, Kris. Also, why do you attribute everything to AS? You wouldn't 'cease to be', you would continue to exist without any of the difficulties you have now. AS is responsible for the bad things, not the good things. We are incompatible with this social world and that is not something to be praised.


i think that is a little closed minded. some may not reilize it, but as is a big part of them and plus, if we are living with it, we should be proud of it. :shameonyou:

:jester:


I'm not saying we shouldn't be proud of it, I'm just saying that we should be realistic and avoid the close-mindedness that you are purveying.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 402
Location: UK

02 Jun 2007, 1:15 pm

I think what it comes down to, Mitch, is that no human being -autistic or not- naturally has the ability to accept that he or she is simply less sophisticated -inferior is a loaded term- to the majority. I guess those who found out about AS as adults need to lie to themselves until they see the limitations of the modern idea that all people are machines.



Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 31 May 2007
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 352
Location: Elsewhere

02 Jun 2007, 1:29 pm

Mitch8817, did you know that i am only 13 years old? our views may be different.

why dont you like asperger syndrome? what happened to make you think that way

Kris94


:jester:


_________________
Haven't been here a while. Huh.


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 2:05 pm

Kris94 wrote:
Mitch8817, did you know that i am only 13 years old? our views may be different.

why dont you like asperger syndrome? what happened to make you think that way

Kris94


:jester:


It IS astounding! If given a choice of being a normal NT or the level/type of AS that they have.....

SOME, it seems would PAY $1000,000+ to be NT!
SOME, like Mitch probably, would want to be NT for NOTHING!
SOME, like me MAYBE, MIGHT consider it if we were PAID $1,000,000 as well.
SOME would NEVER want to change!

BTW Kris. Enjoy your life! You are probably about as bad off as you'll ever be, and can work on improving your abilities, work towards a career, and maybe build a good life. I wish *I* had such an idea of what was happening when *I* was 13. My life would have been FAR better! Of course, I STILL ended up better than most NTs financially and emotionally. Even SOCIALLY I'm probably better off than most.(I'd rather have a few halfway decent friends/acquaintences than a lousy wife and sycophantic backbiters!)

Steve



Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 3:11 pm

SteveK, I do not want to be NT. I am happy being myself despite my limitations. Life is a challenge and I respect that. I was never one to give up.

Kris, it's not that I don't like AS, it's just that I believe AS to be something bad. Humans are made to have the need to socially interact, it stops us from getting depressed, feeling isolated and alienated and so on, plus we get those warm feelings when everything goes well. AS makes achieving this requirement very difficult and runs contrary to the way we are 'naturally' meant to be.

Undefineable I know, and that's the message I'm trying to convey. Be happy about who you are, but at least be clear as to who that person truly is.

I do not hate AS, but I want people to start being realistic about it. The way the world is, the way society is structured and the expectations people have of us make life very difficult because we have AS. Also, people need to stop putting NT's down and negatively stereotyping them - all this shows is an externalisation of inner shortcomings and envy. We demonise what we envy so it hurts less that we don't have it. It's a coping mechanism.

EDIT: And I do apologise if I have come off a little harsh, as that was not my intention.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 4:04 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
SteveK, I do not want to be NT. I am happy being myself despite my limitations. Life is a challenge and I respect that. I was never one to give up.

Kris, it's not that I don't like AS, it's just that I believe AS to be something bad. Humans are made to have the need to socially interact, it stops us from getting depressed, feeling isolated and alienated and so on, plus we get those warm feelings when everything goes well. AS makes achieving this requirement very difficult and runs contrary to the way we are 'naturally' meant to be.

Undefineable I know, and that's the message I'm trying to convey. Be happy about who you are, but at least be clear as to who that person truly is.

I do not hate AS, but I want people to start being realistic about it. The way the world is, the way society is structured and the expectations people have of us make life very difficult because we have AS. Also, people need to stop putting NT's down and negatively stereotyping them - all this shows is an externalisation of inner shortcomings and envy. We demonise what we envy so it hurts less that we don't have it. It's a coping mechanism.

EDIT: And I do apologise if I have come off a little harsh, as that was not my intention.


You are truly had to figure out. Apparently you hate that you are AS but are content enough to "deal with the devil you know". Also, you see the social impact to be the WORST problem. Happily, you and I agree there.

Putting NTs down is ENVY? Have you read what *I* have written? I have NO ENVY of NTs! My hatred is their lack of care, lack of concern, stupidity and, in SPITE of that, being so supercilious! At my work, there are TWO people that I would say are arrogant. One I RESPECT! He ACTS arrogant but is simply SMART and knows it! Interestingly, he will belittle even some of his STRENGTHS! He may tell you that it is nothing and he doesn't understand why others have trouble. On OTHERS, he may honestly downplay them. Those play AGAINST his apparent arrogance! BTW he shows some signs of AS, and I think he may be! I don't really ENVY him anyway. Although he is apparently far better than I am with math, and knows a lot about scientific theories that I haven't even studied, I think our raw ability might be comparable. I think in some ways he may be smarter than I am. HE thinks I am smarter than HE is in some ways! He has TOLD me that! We just have a mutual respect for one another. AGAIN, he has as much as told me he respects me. The OTHER is one I really have NO respect for! He knows little, but thinks HE is THE expert! I get a kick of him having big meetings to determine what I knew all along, etc.... I have NO reason to believe HE has AS. WHY would I envy him?

Sometimes hatred is hatred and for a real reason. I guess you believe we only love what we hate?

Steve



Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 4:08 pm

I wasn't referring to envying any specific individual, but rather this supposed easier life that NT's enjoy as a result of their more adaptive skills.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 4:25 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
I wasn't referring to envying any specific individual, but rather this supposed easier life that NT's enjoy as a result of their more adaptive skills.


Adaptive skills? When I went to Europe, *I* spoke German and Danish. I spoke danish well enough that 4 DIFFERENT strangers(One was a bank teller at a danish bank!) complimented me on my "beautiful danish accent", and my uncle told me not to speak danish to danish customs because they might think I was a dane, and not allow me to take his cigarettes into denmark! I could also communicate with people in Germany. I knew some customs, etc.... I ADAPTED! Meanwhile, I met some American NT blowhards that made me EMBARASSED to be an American! They didn't adapt, but seemed to expect everyone else to. GRANTED, Europeans usually adapt better. But still... And I KNOW a lot of NTs actually have a HARDER time than I do. It is just in some social areas where NTs may do better.

Steve



Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,881
Location: Victoria, Australia

02 Jun 2007, 4:28 pm

Socially adaptive, not linguistic.


_________________
"Pray...NOW!" -Auron, before Bushido attack


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

02 Jun 2007, 4:54 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
Socially adaptive, not linguistic.


I DID mention I learned customs also. Alas, I will never know really what I am missing. Still, I figure it CAN'T be that good because I have done POLLS for some "non verbal language", and found it to be GARBAGE! ALSO, most people that get ripped off, lied to are NT!! !!

Steve