aspergers: a different way of seeing the world.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2007, 2:47 pm

people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Jun 2007, 2:50 pm

i remember when i use to go to VR they had this big ass poster on the wall of this dude who was doing somekind of telemarketing or something and above his head it said, THE WORD ABILITY IS IN DISABILITY. can you believe that? haha 8O

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:01 pm

even if the Kilroy you all knew and liked would "die" I'd have to kill "him" to be normal and ultimitely happy
I like wp...but to live the rest of my life with AS would be something I wouldn't do (and don't want-but I gotta-it's gonna be a sh***y run) :(

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2007, 3:05 pm

There are some Aspie traits I would love to "cure" and others I wouldn't want to live without. It is a blessing and a curse, just like most everything else that is important in the world.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:08 pm

Vegasadelphia wrote:
There are some Aspie traits I would love to "cure" and others I wouldn't want to live without. It is a blessing and a curse, just like most everything else that is important in the world.

blessing 8O
no part of AS has ever given me anything to be happy about
I want a cure!

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:22 pm

Kris94 wrote:
people say aspergers is a disability. i know we have problems, but i see it as more of a gift than a curse. the good outweighs the bad and if there was a cure for autism, a big red button infront of me, i would'nt press it. if i did, the kris here would cease to be.

I agree!!
I like being an aspie.

ljoon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2007, 4:08 pm

I don't think I'd choose to be any different. I've grown accustomed to my lonely lifestyle and I feel most comfortable this way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:10 pm

I love myself the way that I am.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2007, 4:40 pm

I have said it before and i will say it again i like living with Aspergers because thats the way i am and if people choose not to like me for who i am thats there problem and not mine.

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2007, 9:26 pm

I'm usually proud of being an aspie, but sometimes my sensory issues become so painful that I want to be NT. That's the only thing I hate from being autistic.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:04 pm

Stellian wrote:
I'm usually proud of being an aspie, but sometimes my sensory issues become so painful that I want to be NT. That's the only thing I hate from being autistic.

YEP Sensory issues and social ignorance are my only real problems. I really have to wonder about those saying they have AS and want a cure. Those areas I am bad in are really not that profitable or good anyway.

GRANTED, I COULD go against the grain, hype up, etc... and make billions in sales. Something in me just prevents that. I guess that is AS. If I LOVED sports, and had the coordination, etc... I could do VERY well. But that is never certain anyway.

No, what I am good in is pretty good, safer, more reliable, etc...

Steve

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:58 pm

I love myself as I am now.

I don't think AS is a curse, but it's not a gift. I see AS as a different way of brain for processing information.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:04 am

Kris94 wrote:

Why do people keep making these same old threads. Tell me exactly how the good outweighs the bad, Kris. Also, why do you attribute everything to AS? You wouldn't 'cease to be', you would continue to exist without any of the difficulties you have now. AS is responsible for the bad things, not the good things. We are incompatible with this social world and that is not something to be praised.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 4:16 am

I don't know about "good" or "bad". But let's use another example. I often think I'm a rather ugly guy. But I wouldn't surgically alter this face. It's mine, and it's always been mine. I am Not saying that it's Ethically Wrong - or anything like that - to do change one's face. I am merely saying that I would not do so. I don't want to.
And the same goes for my mind, even if it does cause me troubles.

I wouldn't describe it as a death, either. Sure it's a change, but a human isn't as much of "One" as many believe. There will still be plenty left, even if a fairly important part were to disappear, as long as the system can work around it. Don't take this too certainly, though, as my thoughts on death are a work in progress.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 4:53 am

PLA wrote:
I don't know about "good" or "bad". But let's use another example. I often think I'm a rather ugly guy. But I wouldn't surgically alter this face. It's mine, and it's always been mine. I am Not saying that it's Ethically Wrong - or anything like that - to do change one's face. I am merely saying that I would not do so. I don't want to.
And the same goes for my mind, even if it does cause me troubles.

But altering your face would certainly bring about huge improvements (hypothetically), even if it were to conform to the shallow, materialist world around us. Which is what I was basing my definitions of 'good' and 'bad' upon; the predominant characteristics, expectations and nature of the society/world in which we live. The world doesn't make allowances for our social shortcomings, they expect us to play by their rules - an ability that has been stripped from us by this syndrome.

EDIT: And this also related back to what I was saying about picking out key points of AS that are 'good'. Why ascribe them to AS? Anyone can be smart, perceptive, eccentric, this isn't a unique AS quality. Further, if you altered your face, would that change who you are?

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2007, 4:59 am

I dont love being an aspie.

But i am who i am, and i dont want to change that.