Celebrating Halloween as a autistic Adult

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Owlion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

I love Halloween :D I used to go trick or treating every year when I was younger, but I used to look older than my age because of being tall (I was 5'9'' at age 12) and someone commented one year ('aren't you too old for this?') which made me too worried to do it again, so I stay home and watch spooky films these days, or sometimes play horror games!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 2:04 pm

Today I saw some official licensed hats like the one The Cat In The Hat wears, and I'm thinking I'd like to be The Cat In The Hat instead. I already have a black cat costume I made a few years ago, so all I need is the hat and maybe a red bow tie and some white gloves. Maybe an umbrella. I might buy some pointed elf ears and paint them black and white to fit over my real ears. It'll be really fun not only to be a character I haven't been before but I can go around speaking in rhyme and using quotes from the book. " I know it is dark and the sun is not sunny, but we can have all kinds of good fun that is funny!" :D

The party I go to is normally before Halloween, so maybe I'll wear my vampire outfit on Halloween night just for fun while listening to Halloween-type music on my YouTube playlist. But no one will get to see all the effort I put into this. I usually take pictures and post on Facebook, that's about it.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

I looked around myself at the age of 10 and realized I was too old for Trick-or-Treating. In fact, the idea of doing it suddenly seemed kind of childish and embarrassing.

I still love all the Halloween and horror accoutrements and nomenclature (toys and decorations), but even back then (in the 1970s) it was obvious that the only kids still going door-to-door at the age of 10-12 or older, were mostly bullies, horning in on what was really a little kids game. In this day and age, when even 12 year olds can be aggressive gangbangers, it certainly looks pushy and suspicious for them to be out on the streets, elbowing their way through the little kids and their parents, for candy they can easily afford to buy for themselves.

By the time you're a teenager, there are other things to do, like Costume Parties, Haunted Houses (either attending, or helping to build or staff one), or just staying home and passing the torch by handing out treats to younger kids.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:21 pm

Quote:
By the time you're a teenager, there are other things to do.....

Heck no! My friend and I still go trick-or-treating every year and we ain't stopping anytime soon :D . There are still high schoolers that go trick-or-treating where I live.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

When I was 17 I managed to convince my younger siblings to trick or treat with me, as I didn't want to go alone. We got a few strange looks and at least one lady that was grumpy about it. Though on the other side some people thought it was cool that we were still trick or treating, one lady even gave up extra candy and talked to us a bit and thought it was great that we were still doing it.

I'd say everyone is entitled to their opinions either way, as are you, so just do what you like and have fun! I'm 22 and will hopefully be going this year. I haven't the last few years since I had no one to go with (I get lost easily and don't like walking around alone). I'm on the shorter side, people often think I am younger, and if all goes as planned and I finish my costume I'll be covered head to toe anyway, so I shouldn't get too much trouble :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

akn90
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2017, 7:23 am

I enjoyed Halloween as a child but hate it as an adult.

Trick-or-treating was fun, and my parents helped me with a costume.

As an adult, I hate having to pick a costume and I hate scary movies. I'd like to be able to just hang out with friends and enjoy the autumn leaves and the chilly air - a fall bonfire for instance - without all the extra stress that comes along with Halloween.

And then there are majority of people my age who love Halloween, for whom it's their favorite holiday, who take it as a personal and crushing insult if you personally don't enjoy celebrating the holiday.

blueblood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

This will get you into the Halloween mood.