Why is "awkward" sometimes used as a euphemism for disabled?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:00 pm

I heard some people, probably usually neurotypical, use the word "awkward" as a euphemism or description of people who are or they perceive as neurological or developmental range outside the typical norm. This includes people with retardation, but I don't know if a condition like Down Syndrome (the most prominent cause of intellectual disability as far as I know) is really considered a neurological wiring variation. And people both without and with an autism spectrum condition themselves label themselves or even their "cousins" with the term socially awkward.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

I don't tend to think I've seen it used much as a euphemism very much at all. I think it's a question of cause and effect.

Most of the time, people with the conditions you list are socially awkward as a result of the condition. It is possible to be socially awkward even without the condition.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm

Yes, I also see it as an attempt as an accurate description, rather than a euphemism. Most people fail terribly when you try to force them to providing accurate descriptions. Good luck trying to pin down exact details, like dates or precise lengths of time.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

Because they are awkward.

It's not a euphemism. It's stating facts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm

I've never heard it used as a euphemism for "disabled."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:56 pm

Sometimes it is used as a euphemism for 'there's definitely something wrong with this person, but i dont know what exactly.'

It's more polite to say 'they're awkward' than, 'does anyone know what exactly is wrong with this person?.'

I've got a friend who will describe people she thinks have something off about them as 'they just have no social skills.'

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:20 pm

I can't say I've ever heard "awkward" used as a term for "disabled".

I do wish however that people would stop beating round the bush and just call us disabled. They think they're being polite by saying stuff like "differently abled", but it appears to me they're dodging the subject.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~