Newly diagnosed at age 27, not sure how i should be feeling

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

I was just diagnosed as being "on the autism spectrum" and am not sure what to think. I did not go to the doctor for autism, I was seeking a diagnosis for PTSD. The doctor administered the tests for autism without informing me what it was for and I was surprised by the diagnosis.

Although I would consider myself quirky and have my moments of awkwardness, I've never seen myself as one who is characterized by difficulty making friends or having impairing struggles with social interactions, but having been labeled now I'm beginning to question the person who I thought I was.

It's a little alarming to be told you have a problem which you didn't feel like was a problem until you were made to think it was a problem.

I feel like I've been shoehorned into a box. Trying to keep an open mind.

Scores:
RAADS-R 55
ADOS-2 15
SRS-2 66

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 11:19 pm

In my case, the possibility was pointed out to me at age 36 by someone (not a psychologist) and it was quite a shock to me. I'd done some googling and online tests, and scored in the high risk zone. After getting over my shock, I talked to my doctor, who told me that I was showing some traits typically associated with Asperger's and gave me a phone number to find a psychologist.

While at first it was a shock to me to find out the possibility, by the time I actually got a diagnosis, that feeling had shifted to a relief that I wasn't just strange, that there was a reason that I'd felt different all my life.

For you, it seems like you're having to go through that entire process in one day. That must be pretty tough. I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of having a psychologist administer that type of test without asking you whether you want it, because a diagnosis isn't exactly something you can take back.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm

holography wrote:
...having been labeled now I'm beginning to question the person who I thought I was.

It's a little alarming to be told you have a problem which you didn't feel like was a problem until you were made to think it was a problem.

Well, if it doesn't provide some useful context, then ultimately I'd say just treat it as a random stat. like hair texture or eye color. Even so, I know it'll take a while to assimilate the information, but you're still the same person with or without the label.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 12:30 am

Hello Holography.

I am sorry you are struggling with this right now. It sounds an awful predicament to be in,
existentially and practically.

One of my obsessive interests - born out of similar circumstances to yourself - was to devote the last ten years to understanding the boundary between autism and PTSD. As a result I have compiled this list which I often copy and paste here on WP when I feel it might help individuals. Often (by no means always) we are the best judge and not professionals as to why we are the way we are.

Over the years I have often heard people here struggle with their diagnosis and deeply questioning as to whether their problems are: neurological, psychological, or both.

Temple Grandin herself once said that that the nervous system of someone in the autism spectrum mimics perfectly someone who has been traumatised. So it's not an easy call to know what is influencing what.

As a result, I have been collecting a list of characteristics which I
feel for the most part (I do emphasise, for the most part)
are clearly within the autism not psychological remit.

Monotone, deep, or voice different in some way. Inflexion. People in the spectrum often naturally develop their own way of using language. They often have very different accents and from those they have grown up with.

Consistency, reliability.

Irony and sarcasm a problem.

Facial expressions a problem.

Naturally intense and serious
(little professor, or in my case, little philosopher)

Information processing difficulties. Executive functioning difficulties. Ie planning and organising. Many high functioning people in the spectrum overcompensate and become preoccupied with order and systems to manage and control.

Natural systemizers. The ability to form intricate systems in order to compensate and manage information overload.

Intensity with regards to special interest.

Inflexibility and Routines, very ingrained.

Eye contact being unusual, intense or strained.
(though those who have been abused might have difficulty too)

Peers difficulty. Most aspies form friends with older people.

Males often being more feminine. Females more masculine.
(I appreciate many don't fit this model, but this has been MY experience)

A sense of innocence. Giftedness. A sense of being
'unusual'. Idiosyncratic ways.

Natural ability to see patterns and finite details.

Not following fashion. Comfortable is best.

Unsubtlely Naive.

Preoccupation with details.

Common comorbid conditions:
OCD, TICS, Tourette syndrome, Dyslexia (neurodiverse spectrum, though obviously not exclusively ASD)

When being in a group of other aspies there is often a sense of deep belonging and kinship (that is if the group is on the same level of functioning)

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 12:36 am

Just to add, I have all the above mentioned on the list. I have been formally diagnosed with high-functioning autism as well as formally diagnosed with cPTSD.

My quest started out as an obsession, yet has now become like a fun game. The intensity of your distress and discomfort I am sure will abate and in time you will find the truth and answers you need.

Go well.

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2017, 1:14 am

quaker wrote:
Hello Holography.

I am sorry you are struggling with this right now. It sounds an awful predicament to be in,
existentially and practically.

One of my obsessive interests - born out of similar circumstances to yourself - was to devote the last ten years to understanding the boundary between autism and PTSD. As a result I have compiled this list which I often copy and paste here on WP when I feel it might help individuals. Often (by no means always) we are the best judge and not professionals as to why we are the way we are.

Over the years I have often heard people here struggle with their diagnosis and deeply questioning as to whether their problems are: neurological, psychological, or both.

Temple Grandin herself once said that that the nervous system of someone in the autism spectrum mimics perfectly someone who has been traumatised. So it's not an easy call to know what is influencing what.

As a result, I have been collecting a list of characteristics which I
feel for the most part (I do emphasise, for the most part)
are clearly within the autism not psychological remit.

Monotone, deep, or voice different in some way. Inflexion. People in the spectrum often naturally develop their own way of using language. They often have very different accents and from those they have grown up with.

Consistency, reliability.

Irony and sarcasm a problem.

Facial expressions a problem.

Naturally intense and serious
(little professor, or in my case, little philosopher)

Information processing difficulties. Executive functioning difficulties. Ie planning and organising. Many high functioning people in the spectrum overcompensate and become preoccupied with order and systems to manage and control.

Natural systemizers. The ability to form intricate systems in order to compensate and manage information overload.

Intensity with regards to special interest.

Inflexibility and Routines, very ingrained.

Eye contact being unusual, intense or strained.

Peers difficulty. Most aspies form friends with older people.

Males often being more feminine. Females more masculine.
(I appreciate many don't fit this model, but this has been MY experience)

A sense of innocence. Giftedness. A sense of being
'unusual'. Idiosyncratic ways.

Natural ability to see patterns and finite details.

Not following fashion. Comfortable is best.

Unsubtlely Naive.

Preoccupation with details.

Common comorbid conditions:
OCD, TICS, Tourette syndrome, Dyslexia (neurodiverse spectrum, though obviously not exclusively ASD)

When being in a group of other aspies there is often a sense of deep belonging and kinship (that is if the group is on the same level of functioning)

Your list has both hits and misses for me. My voice sounds neurotypical, although I've been told my language is too formal before. High IQ. I'm gay. No special interests or routines though. Only abuse I suffered through was being in the closet as a teen, but it's been a decade since coming out.

I had a traumatic near-death experience 5 years ago and a lot of the symptoms that the doctor said were traits of autism I feel like I developed after the near-death experience/bodily injury. My difficulties with repetitive thoughts, flat affect, and self-care all emerged.

Last edited by holography on 29 Sep 2017, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:25 am

Thank you, yes, as mentioned this is a very imperfect list. Sorry it wasn't that helpful to you. I wish you well.

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2017, 1:43 am

Exuvian wrote:
holography wrote:
...having been labeled now I'm beginning to question the person who I thought I was.

Well, if it doesn't provide some useful context, then ultimately I'd say just treat it as a random stat. like hair texture or eye color. Even so, I know it'll take a while to assimilate the information, but you're still the same person with or without the label.

There have been times before when I would consider myself having some of the giftedness that aspergers has, and I think I have had more social problems than the average person due to trauma. Never thought I was actually outside of the norm enough to be on the autism spectrum.

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2017, 2:07 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
In my case, the possibility was pointed out to me at age 36 by someone (not a psychologist) and it was quite a shock to me. I'd done some googling and online tests, and scored in the high risk zone. After getting over my shock, I talked to my doctor, who told me that I was showing some traits typically associated with Asperger's and gave me a phone number to find a psychologist.

While at first it was a shock to me to find out the possibility, by the time I actually got a diagnosis, that feeling had shifted to a relief that I wasn't just strange, that there was a reason that I'd felt different all my life.

For you, it seems like you're having to go through that entire process in one day. That must be pretty tough. I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of having a psychologist administer that type of test without asking you whether you want it, because a diagnosis isn't exactly something you can take back.

I felt like my boundaries and ability to choose had been disregarded because they didn't get my consent for the autism tests. I'm not very comfortable with psychiatrists making decisions for me.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2017, 2:26 am

holography wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

I felt like my boundaries and ability to choose had been disregarded because they didn't get my consent for the autism tests. I'm not very comfortable with psychiatrists making decisions for me.
I think your psychologists was only trying to eliminate some possibilities to get a more accurate result.

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2017, 2:49 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
holography wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

I think your psychologists was only trying to eliminate some possibilities to get a more accurate result.

Well the result is preliminary since on one of the tests, I scored non-autistic. However, I'm hesitant to explore this diagnosis any further. I'm adverse to labels and the thought of being boxed into someone else's opinion of normalcy and having that forced on me, no thank you.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2017, 2:56 am

holography wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:
holography wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

Well the result is preliminary since on one of the tests, I scored non-autistic. However, I'm hesitant to explore this diagnosis any further. I'm adverse to labels and the thought of being boxed into someone else's opinion of normalcy and having that forced on me, no thank you.
Well...nothing's changed, you're still you. If you're worried that people might treat you differently just because of a label, then just don't tell them. What's important is you have a better understanding of yourself.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 3:00 am

Diagnosis does not have to diminish your humanity. For many here the experience of being diagnosed was life affirming. It was life affirming for many in the spectrum because they no longer had to unconsciously over compensate for their limitations. Diagnosis in this context becomes a moment of enlightenment.

holography
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

quaker wrote:
Diagnosis does not have to diminish your humanity. For many here the experience of being diagnosed was life affirming. It was life affirming for many in the spectrum because they no longer had to unconsciously over compensate for their limitations. Diagnosis in this context becomes a moment of enlightenment.

I feel the opposite. I feel very limited by the diagnosis.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 3:59 pm

holography wrote:
quaker wrote:

I feel the opposite. I feel very limited by the diagnosis.

Feel limited only if you wish to; your capabilities remain unchanged.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

Perhaps you could see it like an international visitor at this stage who has finally begun a grand journey - you have entered a new country, (continent perhaps) and can begin to explore it, at first you notice the superficial things that are different, then you see what it has in common with your previous experiences, and what it doesn't. You have entered a new country, passed through immigration, now begins the journey to new realisations and observations, about others, about yourself, about all that happened to you before this point of transition. May you journey well!