Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

Is it possible that we could as a sticky or as a general rule stop using offensive, nasty discriminatory language such as ret*d. It is horrible language which has no place anywhere in the 21st century let alone a place like this.

Honestly chaps, it’s not on, it has to stop. Would anyone here be happy and comfortable using the N word to discribe black people? How about using faggott to gay men or dykes for gay women? We all comfortable with that? There are lots of words for Jewish people, shall we use those too?

Alex is it possible that any post which has ret*d or whatever as it’s prefix to be instantly removed?

BBC: Radio 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 3:49 pm

I'd rather pounce upon a person for calling me "ret*d" than to ban the use of the word.

I like these sorts of things to be "out in the open," and dealt with properly.

We're going to be beset with insults throughout our lives; we have to learn how to deal with them.

But.....you do have a right not to be inundated with this sort of crap.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 3:58 pm

I don't find anything wrong with the word "ret*d", unless it's being used as a slur.
Technically, I'm ret*d.
I'm fine with that.

Last edited by Raleigh on 07 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:00 pm

esa palabrita me vale madre.....

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2017, 4:09 pm

[quote="kraftiekortie"]I'd rather pounce upon a person for calling me "ret*d" than to ban the use of the word.

I like these sorts of things to be "out in the open," and dealt with properly.

We're going to be beset with insults throughout our lives; we have to learn how to deal with them.

But.....you do have a right not to be inundated with this sort of crap.[

I am sorry but there is absolutely no justification for using that kind of language. I understand that the USA culturally is way behind European, Australia and New Zealand in the use of language and values which informs it but that is no excuse, this is an international forum.

In any case do suggest that black people should just accept being called n@&££(ers

I didn’t think so

BBC: Radio 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

Do you find that I "accept" calling somebody "ret*d?" I advocate a certain stern punishment for that person. Same with the "N" word.

I called somebody the "N-word" once when I was 10. I was punched in the face, deservedly. I never called anybody that again.

It's not nice to generalize about Americans. I don't find myself to be "culturally backward," despite the fact that I'm American. I don't think it's cool at all to generalize like that. Moreover, it's not correct.

You haven't met me; you don't know whether I'm "culturally backward" or not.

No...this is not flag-raising patriotism....it's freakin' common sense!

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 07 Oct 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:15 pm

Voxish wrote:
Is it possible that we could as a sticky or as a general rule stop using offensive, nasty discriminatory language such as ret*d. It is horrible language which has no place anywhere in the 21st century let alone a place like this.

Honestly chaps, it’s not on, it has to stop. Would anyone here be happy and comfortable using the N word to discribe black people? How about using faggott to gay men or dykes for gay women? We all comfortable with that? There are lots of words for Jewish people, shall we use those too?

Alex is it possible that any post which has ret*d or whatever as it’s prefix to be instantly removed?

I agree with you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

If "ret*d," etc., was banned from this Site, I wouldn't raise a big stink.

But I find it is better for the roaches to reveal themselves out in the open, than to remain hidden in cupboards.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

George Carlin had something to say about this. He referred to it as "They are only WORDS!" If you search for the video, you have only yourselves to blame. :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

People nowadays use "ret*d" like kids when I was at school used homophobic insults. Racist insults were strictly punished, but thanks to Section 28 very few teachers in Britain would dare tell a kid off for using "gay" as an insult. So all kids dropped the "G"-bomb many times a day even before they knew what it meant. "ret*d" has taken its place as the worst insult that no-one will call you out on, because again the people it strictly applies to can't defend themselves and no-one wants to be seen defending them.

I've known some people with very low intellects- three who were like that from birth, and one from an accident. All of them were just lovely people who deserved to be looked after, not used as figures of contempt. I'd prefer some guy with Downs syndrome to somebody who throws the word "ret*d" around any day.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:22 pm

I wouldn't ban it in circumstances that it is legitimately used. By that, I mean if some of us participate in a serious thread about the way professional adherents of the medical model have promoted the use of "ret*d" to be applied indiscriminately to the whole of the ASD community. That section of the medical world has done more than most to stigmatise, dehumanise and promote stigma.

We already ban it when it is used to as a personal attack or other demeaning ways. It has often been a troll signal here, when a new member joins and uses it in one of the first few posts. Fortunately, long term members tend to instantly alert us.

Overall, use of the word needs to be aligned with particular caution. Even members who post "so I'm a ret*d" in respect of themselves could reflect on other less triggering words to use.

However, my view on outright banning is a No.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

So, if I don't refer to myself as ret*d, what word am I going to use?
Slow?
Mentally impaired?
ret*d seems the most correct and explanatory term.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you find that I "accept" calling somebody "ret*d?" I advocate a certain stern punishment for that person. Same with the "N" word.

I called somebody the "N-word" once when I was 10. I was punched in the face, deservedly. I never called anybody that again.

It's not nice to generalize about Americans. I don't find myself to be "culturally backward," despite the fact that I'm American. I don't think it's cool at all to generalize like that. Moreover, it's not correct.

You haven't met me; you don't know whether I'm "culturally backward" or not.

No...this is not flag-raising patriotism....it's freakin' common sense!

In my experience, Americans are usually MORE clued up about polite disability terminology than Brits- that's one reason why the "R-word" is such a shocking outlier.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:32 pm

I would say "temporarily inept."

"ret*d" implies a forced permanence of a disability. Forced by one's self, and by others.

Sure, some disabilities are permanent---but it doesn't mean even those with a permanent disability can't improve in some fashion.

"ret*d" means "permanently behind, with no hope of catching up."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 07 Oct 2017, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Slow?
Mentally impaired?

I think you're about as "ret*d" as I'm wealthy, which is to say not at all.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Slow?
Mentally impaired?

The word "ret*d" has a dictionary definition.

Substituting one word for a euphemism does not solve the problem

For example, "learning differences" used to be called "learning disability". Yes, the "differences" could be an advantage, in some extreme situations. (Fine)

But using the latest greatest politically correct euphemism does not solve problem