Do you think everyone on the spectrum has anxiety?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2019, 5:50 pm

They always seem to go together in everything I read. But so much of what I read that people say is anxiety, to me feels like being overstimulated.

Do you think it is possible to be on the spectrum and not have anxiety? What are your opinions?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 6:07 pm

I don't know if everyone on the spectrum has anxiety, but I certainly do. I feel like most of my difficulties revolve around anxiety in some way. But I do overthink everything, so that can lead to anxiety, and I'm too empathetic too.
My anxiety and overthinking can have it's good points, for example I've never allowed myself to be talked into doing things I don't want to do, for example drugs or drinking. But then this causes depression instead (again from overthinking), because of feeling like a social outcast. So it's a no-win situation really.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 6:15 pm

I have anxiety. The world is a dangerous place and people are unpredictable.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 6:18 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Sweet peas can't be anxious :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Unpredictable. This is what I have struggled with in the past big time. When I was 18 I had a whole class of pupils turn against me. Was a week or so before the exams and I didn't care about the exams. I just wanted to do the exams as quick as I could and just leave. I failed the exams. Were not important to me. Getting out in one piece was more important.

Dino777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

Uhura wrote:
Do you think it is possible to be on the spectrum and not have anxiety? What are your opinions?

Personally, I dont think it's possible.

There's a video on youtube called,
"Autism: how anxiety affects everything - Sarah Hendrickx"

You may find it helpful.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:14 pm

Could anxiety be what I call nurves? If so, yes I get it quite often... :oops:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:28 pm

No. And I'm one of them.

It's just very common, sure -- yet that doesn't guarantee everyone in the spectrum does.

I'm one of those (apparently from few) born and grew up without being plagued by anxiety and fear.
Even intolerances that used to plagued/impede me no longer exists over the course of time with maturity and understanding.
For most part, in order for me to overcome something is to grow up -- as opposed to manage and grow up. So that's just one major weight that I don't have to carry.

Partially because my sense of fear is just really atypical, even for autistic standards apparently.
And partially because I cannot afford anxiety and whatever traits it brings as an autistic -- not only it'll mismatched with my core and nature which makes it worse if I do have anxiety compared to other personalities, but also very ill-matched with the environment I have to deal with because it's more chaotic and does not afford to accommodate in comparison.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SpaceCadet89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jul 2019, 7:56 pm

In my case, anxiety stemmed from a need to be accepted; a basic human need that served me well enough through first & secondary school (masking-wise; going along with groupthink) but failed miserably in high school.

I think the challenges that come with autism can be a contributing factor - the missed cues, bad at eye contact, and thus lead one to being picked on - but I don’t think the ASD itself is to blame, just the morons who will happily chip away at anything they suspect as being a little ‘off’. And so exacerbating the problem, if one’s self-esteem is so entangled with such things. :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:09 pm

I have anxiety too. I cannot process things like a normal person so I get stressed out easily than other people and I can't handle stress like a normal person. I also need to be in control or I get anxious. I also tend to overthink things because of what I have been through as a child, so many rejections and not being accepted, screwing up a lot so now I get anxiety when someone misunderstands me or gets mad at me or takes what I say and make it into something else.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:31 am

I do have anxiety, but not as bad as in the past.

I have heard that some people on the spectrum have little anxiety, fear or common sense. I think those people are rare, however. They may have AD(H)D in combination with autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:36 am

Anxiety is par for the course for me.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 1:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Anxiety is par for the course for me.

As another sweet pea, you're not allowed to be anxious either :(

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 3:02 pm

If you say "everyone" and there is one exception, the whole statement is wrong

Social anxiety and autism are comorbid though

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

I don't feel anxiety at all. Yet therapists treat me like I have it but it is more like they automatically assume it because I am on the spectrum. That's what my question was about. If everyone has it, then I must have it no matter if I feel like it or not because I know I am on the spectrum. Or if I am right and don't have it, then therapists are just assuming I do because I am on the spectrum.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2020, 3:09 pm

Anxiety is somewhat intertwined with it. Or how we handle stress, and stress can be a variety of negative emotions. I believe that people on the spectrum process/express it differently than neureotypicals do.

And people on the spectrum may express anxiety differently than other people on the spectrum do.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so