Are ASpies looked at as the Village idiot?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

I sure am treated like one,

theres this aspie on youtube who says there are different kinds of aspies,

he said if your an idiot and an aspie, its the worst combination...

funny but it sux for the ones who are idiot aspies..like me

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

One of the upsides of having aspergers is that you're more intelligent than the average NT. So who's the idiot here. You are the people that treat you as one. I choose the last option.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

If you were stupid your mind would not have formulated the questions you are asking nor would it have been able to articulate part of the answer.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

"Village idiot" is such an antiquated term.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Part of the criteria for being diagnosed Aspergers is to have a normal or above normal IQ.

But, yes, I've had plenty of people treat me like an idiot in the past--and actually get mad when they find out I'm not!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

People assume I'm an idiot at first.

That is, until they realize that I'm a nerd. Then it's "oh... you're so smart dude. You should go to Yale or something."

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

People think I'm an idiot because I'm typically surrounded by narcissists who think that anyone who isn't just like them is stupid.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

I'm not treated like an idiot by most people. Generally speaking, people treat me like something breakable. It's quite annoying.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

I was called The Village Idiot by my peers when I was in grades 5 and 6.

Eclipse247
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2017, 12:12 pm

I think we can be seen and used as the village idiot if we put ourselves in that position with NT's. Even if we have an understanding NT partner, their friends may not share the same attitude and will perhaps see an idiot to be disrespected because we cant play their game very well, especially over time. Sure, we can use the tiring false self for a while but it wears thin.
If you have some kind of skill or talent then others might back off and just see you as a useful jackass. eg House MD. (They seem to have incorporated some Aspieness in his character to me.) If you stop playing this role or call them out on their crap, just watch them change! Have your guard ready!
It's hard if you are undiagnosed because you cant understand why! I also think its useful to know if you are perceived this way rather than be in the dark or denial. It's not nice to find NT's that are nice to your face are actually 2 faced but its better to get that wake up call early imo.
The NT world is hard to fathom as to why they waste half their time on this crap, unless you think about them often being paid at work to do so. Go figure! Worse still. What if your NT partner sees you that way, but you cant see it?
Also, I think their game is to compete with survival of the fittest as the rule. Whereas an Aspie game will be largely doing the right or best thing, although we do make mistakes imo.

Last edited by Eclipse247 on 09 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ubersensai
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2017, 12:28 pm

I think people confuse awkward with unintelligent. Or maybe correlate it. Which is a really stupid mistake.

To sum me up: I see opportunity in everything. I have learned to use my abnormalities as abilities, and obsessions as weapons or tools. Don't deny yourself. Utilize yourself. Become the potential you ooze and you will be able to get over any social deficits.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2017, 3:44 pm

Panic wrote:
Are ASpies looked at as the Village idiot?

Unfortunately, yes.

Even the so-called savants are looked down as that. "He's an autist but hey he's a genius as well".

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 8:30 am

I have felt that with everyone I've come into contact during my entire life of 42 years with treats me like I am the village idiot.

Such condescending attitudes and poorly conveyed vocabularies can be quite insulting I must say. Such assumptions that I cannot understand or remember what was being said to me by anyone. And oh, the ones who speak to me using such small words with abundantly clear and over-pronounced grammar. And because I like to put on a brave face for the world and pretend to be happy (sometimes too happy) despite the raging fire that goes on inside of me everyday without fail or rest means that I am an idiot or something? I can hear and understand everything you're saying, nasty NTs, I just express myself and conduct myself differently from you. That's all. Ugh...

Considering that I have a tested IQ of 160, and I programmed my Apple IIc in '85 in 3 different computer languages when I was 10 years old and I study Quantum Mechanics as it pertains to Computer Science might suggest that I'm not as mentally handicapped as NTs think. Sorry to brag, but NTs irritate me with their village idiot treatments of me.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Last edited by xatrix26 on 10 Oct 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:41 am

I have been treated like people think I'm the village idiot, even though I score an above average IQ and was considered to be a so-called "gifted child" when I was a child, was academically bright (mostly an "A-student") and I'm not an idiot by most definitions of the word.

But because my processing can be slow, and because I don't instantly realize when sarcasm is being used, and because I don't "get" many NT jokes right away, and because instructions may be given in a manner that doesn't fit my learning style, I have been laughed at, made the butt of jokes, and consigned to the "she's not very bright" heap by numerous groups of people in various settings, from workplaces to social situations.

Not really in school because the other students were so aware of my brightness in the classroom, grades, and such, that nobody there thought of me as dim or stupid, because they knew I was academically near the top.

But out in the general world, where nobody knows about your "grades" in school anymore nor even cares, and they go by more socially based criteria, you are an idiot and forever after thought to be just for the crime of not picking up on a sarcastic joke.

I also don't get hints and "leading" questions or remarks, and I feel that this failure, too, contributes to someone who doesn't know me very well forming a conclusion that I'm a dim bulb.

Couple that with attempts at even being a little bit friendly and smiling because one is trying not to be a miserable grump, and they really think I'm dumb.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:03 am

I'm the Village Wolfman :ninja:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:12 am

Maybe? I honestly don't know what others think of me... but to be completely honest, unless it's someone I have to work with, someone important to me, a doctor or someone in a similiar position whose misunderstanding could cause me serious damage, I don't even care that much. Of course it's not nice if someone thinks that way about me but eh, if that person doesn't belong to any of the groups I mentioned before, I can just more or less cut them off.