Can you drive?
Yes. 61%  61%  [ 25 ]
No. 39%  39%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 41

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:02 am

I am considering learning to drive but it just seems overwhelming to me how many of you can drive?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:07 am

You get used to it. It was overwhelming at first like anything new, but after a while, I find you get into an autopilot.
I can drive trucks.
Within the next fortnight, I am also learning to ride a motorbike and drive a stick shift. :mrgreen:
You'll be ok!

Fraser_S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2017, 7:04 am

Yes.

I drive people crazy all the time.

Oh, you mean "drive"..... nope, still can't do that.

akn90

23 Oct 2017, 7:22 am

Driving on country roads in the middle of the night/early morning before the sun comes up is my favorite thing in life, honestly.

Rush hour, not so much.

Best of luck with learning. I believe the British have a great deal of discipline and an affinity for rules so hopefully those cultural attributes translate to their driving habits!

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:24 am

It took me until 35 to be able to learn but now I can drive I love it. There are challenges but once you get into doing it regularly, it starts to sink in more and become more natural. It was difficult learning though and I got through quite a few instructors.

Alexithymia: 137

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 7:27 am

I drive but it took me a long time to actually start doing it. I refused to own a car and instead just walked everywhere until last year when I got a job too far away. For me, it was all about necessity and I honestly would prefer to not have to drive at all as I find it fairly stressful. I agree with what everyone else says about it getting easier with time but I personally still refuse to drive on the interstate or to places I'm not familiar with because I get so overwhelmed.

Fraser_S

23 Oct 2017, 8:11 am

akn90 wrote:
Best of luck with learning. I believe the British have a great deal of discipline and an affinity for rules so hopefully those cultural attributes translate to their driving habits!

Nope.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

Yes I drive. It may seem overwhelming at first but eventually it becomes second nature.

Can't say I enjoy driving tbh though, prefer when it's quiet with fewer w*****s on the road.

akn90 wrote:
I believe the British have a great deal of discipline and an affinity for rules so hopefully those cultural attributes translate to their driving habits!

Can't.tell.if.serious :?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

No, because I might have a medical emergency while behind the wheel.

akn90

23 Oct 2017, 4:04 pm

thewheel wrote:
Can't.tell.if.serious :?
Ha, I've heard queuing described as a British national pastime, and my family has told me that "British discipline" is the saving grace of the former British colony that they originally came from, so I was optimistically hoping these cultural characteristics translated to driving, but apparently that isn't the case!

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

It is overwhelming at first, but over time a lot of it gets to be automatic. If you want to hold down a job anywhere but one of the biggest cities, learning to drive is pretty much a necessity for midwesterners. I love driving for the most part, but it's a lot less fun toward the east coast or in southern California than it is most places I go.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

Yes, and I learned to drive stick because I wanted to be sure that I could get someone to the hospital in an emergency if that was the only transportation available.

So help me, I was on a date about 6 months after I got my license. He came down with acute appendicitis in the middle of the restaurant, and I drove him to the hospital in his car. With a stick shift. ( 8O :pale: 8O After that, I quit wondering if it really made sense to plan for the worst case scenario.)

He made a full recovery and we dated for a while after.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: to drive.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Insania2016

23 Oct 2017, 5:50 pm

I can and have for a long time. That said, if I had a driver I would not complain at all...

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm

Interesting thing I've noticed. If I try to speak a language that's not English while driving, I drive very badly. So I refuse to speak any language but English while driving.

I guess it comes from an inability to multitask.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

Yes, I can drive. I try to avoid highway driving whenever possible, but around town at lower speeds I'm pretty comfortable. Fortunately no wrecks in the nearly 20 years I've been on the road. Hopefully I didn't just set myself up for an ironic tragedy... :)

Anyway, just start slow, get used to where everything is and what it does and gradually build your skill.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2017, 12:02 am

I never learned to drive. I still have the idea that something terrible would happen with me at the wheel.