Do you have a reaction when you get a shot/immunisation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Do you have a reaction when you get a shot/immunisation?
Yes 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
I don't know 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 9:41 am

So I'm getting a flu shot soon, and noticed that one of the questions on the questionnaire is "Do you have any neurological condition?" In the past, I've always answered this with "No", but I guess since I was diagnosed with high functioning ASD about 4 months ago, I now have to answer "Yes".

I was trying to google this, and it's hard to find any information because it seems like all the results are about whether shots cause Autism (no, I don't think they do), not whether those on the spectrum are more likely to have an adverse reaction to a shot.

I'm not worried that they won't let me get the flu shot - I've never had a reaction to a shot of any kind before; I'm just curious about this.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 10:47 am

Hopefully everyone mounts an immune response... that's kind of the point. :wink:
As far as adverse reactions, I used to feel slightly sick while my body responded to the weakened pathogen, but I don't experience that anymore. There's slight soreness at the injection site, but it's much better than having the flu.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:36 pm

I got my flu shot several days ago and despite my epilepsy, I answered "No" when given paperwork to complete before I was actually given the shot.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:51 pm

Last year I had some redness and itching where I got the shot that lasted a day or two, but that was it. I don't remember ever having to mention that I'm on the spectrum when filling out the questions. Mostly it just asks if have allergies to certain substances that could be in the vaccine. I have yet to have all these horrific reactions I keep hearing about while also being told why getting the shot makes me an utter moron and a sheep and and other remarks made by what are clearly highly intelligent and superbly-educated people. :roll:

I haven't got the flu shot yet this fall. This week I was sick with some kind of bug with fever, chills, body aches, sweating, and headaches. It was really awful and getting a flu shot is nowhere near as bad, at least for me.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
...while also being told why getting the shot makes me an utter moron and a sheep...

Those who call you a sheep ought to thank you for allowing them the benefit of herd immunity that you and everyone who does get the shot confers upon them. :)

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2017, 11:20 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
So I'm getting a flu shot soon, and noticed that one of the questions on the questionnaire is "Do you have any neurological condition?" In the past, I've always answered this with "No", but I guess since I was diagnosed with high functioning ASD about 4 months ago, I now have to answer "Yes".

I was trying to google this, and it's hard to find any information because it seems like all the results are about whether shots cause Autism (no, I don't think they do), not whether those on the spectrum are more likely to have an adverse reaction to a shot.

I'm not worried that they won't let me get the flu shot - I've never had a reaction to a shot of any kind before; I'm just curious about this.

I've had atrial fibrillation and some ventricular arrhythmias for years and I'm autistic, so I haven't gotten vaccinated since I was a kid. You make a good point: autism definitely affects the immune system and our response to vaccines. I studied this awhile back. There's a good NIH article about contraindications for vaccines at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3418145/

I had painful reactions to the polio and the series of childhood vaccines. Fortunately I have a strong immune system and never have gotten the flu or other bugs even when I'm around people who are sneezing and coughing all over. :mrgreen: My brother was ordered to get the swine flu vaccine when he was in the Navy and it immediately caused grand mal epilepsy and he suffered from it for the rest of his life. Given our shared genetics that's another reason I avoid flu shots.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 11:54 pm

I can't have live vaccines, my immune system is too low functioning to challenge them. The last time I had a flu injection, there was a reaction that was appalling.

My immunologist prefers me to stay on antibiotics whenever there is a flu outbreak, or similar, as a proactive measure.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 12:19 am

Many years ago, while I was at Uni, I had to have a compulsory Hep B vaccine. 48 hours later I was in agony. Every joint and muscle hurt. I went to the Dr who was convinced I had Ross River Fever. He tested for it but it was negative. I asked if it could have been the vaccine and he told me certainly not, so because it was a Uni requirement and I am a fecking eejit, I went back and had the booster when I was well enough. The reaction was worse the second time :evil: .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 1:05 pm

I do not have a reaction except jumping sometimes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 1:32 pm

I've never had any ill effects from a shot except a bit of soreness around the injection site, which is normal. I've gotten a flu shot two or three times, I think (it was a lot more convenient in college when I could just pop down to the health center for it - when my parents have to make an appointment at the doctor's, we tend to forget about it), and the only reaction I had was to flinch when the needle went in.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 11:29 am

No, I don't think I've never had a reaction to any of the shots I've been given. I don't take flu shots though, I've only gotten the mandatory ones that was given through school.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765