Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 3:40 pm

I've had aspies tell me the same stories over and over and I like it because I have a terrible memory so that helps me remember :D . I do not remember what I have asked someone or what I have said to them. But yet I remember the stories at work my co worker has told about himself and the age of his kids but I don't really remember what street he lives on and I remember him saying he has ADHD and PTSD and that is the only labels I remember about him. So I don't remember everything people tell me. But yet I have remembered certain things other people would forget about but my mom has memories about me I don't even have. I know people keep different memories and I also noticed even when my mother and I do remember the same things, they are both different memories. If we were to tell this same story about going to the Disney Store in Texas when I was 11 and me and my brothers picking out one thing to get, I will say I got a Cinderella coloring book set while my mom will say I got a Minnie Mouse sports bra. It was a a important memory for her because she and my father forgot to set a price limit and they ended up spending over one hundred at the place, maybe over $200.

There is just so much to remember, I can't remember everything. Things we talk about, things I ask people, things I say to someone, etc.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 4:17 am

HistoryGal wrote:
They can't seem to remember anything you tell them so they continue to repeat the questions on multiple occasions. Elaine pointed that out. Same thing with me. It's not their priority to remember details in our lives since we are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

I have observed this phenomenon in NTs as well and it's what first led me to believe that I might have High Functioning Autism. I can sit down and watch a movie once and the next time I watch it I will know what most everybody is going to say as well as the actors in it but NTs watch a movie once and seem to completely forget everything the second time they see it.

But having an exceptionally accurate memory as well as an autobiographical memory can be a curse for me as well especially if you've had a great deal of trauma in your life. It's a double-edged sword.

On the whole, I would prefer to have a great memory than not and just keep pitying those NTs.

:wink:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 4:40 am

xatrix26 wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:
They can't seem to remember anything you tell them so they continue to repeat the questions on multiple occasions. Elaine pointed that out. Same thing with me. It's not their priority to remember details in our lives since we are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

I have observed this phenomenon in NTs as well and it's what first led me to believe that I might have High Functioning Autism. I can sit down and watch a movie once and the next time I watch it I will know what most everybody is going to say as well as the actors in it but NTs watch a movie once and seem to completely forget everything the second time they see it.

But having an exceptionally accurate memory as well as an autobiographical memory can be a curse for me as well especially if you've had a great deal of trauma in your life. It's a double-edged sword.

On the whole, I would prefer to have a great memory than not and just keep pitying those NTs.

:wink:

I must be an NT then becuse this and other things you and others claim is an NT thing describes me to a tee. Guess I better start suing everyone who's diagnosed me with classic autism since I was 3.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 6:20 am

EzraS wrote:
I must be an NT then becuse this and other things you and others claim is an NT thing describes me to a tee. Guess I better start suing everyone who's diagnosed me with classic autism since I was 3.

Or... perhaps you're simply low-functioning and nonverbal Autistic like your signature says, in part at least. It is what it is and there's nothing to be ashamed about. We all have different classifications and levels of severity of Autism.

But it does sound like you're quite bitter about it, in which case I feel sorry for you and I wish you well.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:09 am

HistoryGal wrote:

I forget stuff people tell me and I'm not NT.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 8:00 am

xatrix26 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Or... perhaps you're simply low-functioning and nonverbal Autistic like your signature says, in part at least. It is what it is and there's nothing to be ashamed about. We all have different classifications and levels of severity of Autism.

But it does sound like you're quite bitter about it, in which case I feel sorry for you and I wish you well.

Actually to be honest I was mocking you. I find you and Hisory Gal's bitterness towards "NT's" (which basically means everyone) and trying to incorrectly seperate "them" from "us" whilst bosting your superiority over "NT's", which again means virtually everyone, a bit silly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I forget stuff people tell me and I'm not NT.

There are too many people with autism and without autism who have good recollection and poor recollection, to try separating them based on that. Along with many other things like smart vs stupid, nice vs mean, caring vs callous, humorous vs serious, etc vs etc.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2017, 8:46 am

To expect everyone to remember every little detail about you is like expecting the universe to revolve around yourself. And how can you prove that these people are choosing not to remember details about you? If that were really the case, then you would have cut those people out of your life instead of making a thread about the issue. Your intent seems to be to attack anyone who disagrees with you or even slightly misinterprets the meaning of your thread.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2017, 3:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Actually to be honest I was mocking you. I find you and Hisory Gal's bitterness towards "NT's" (which basically means everyone) and trying to incorrectly seperate "them" from "us" whilst bosting your superiority over "NT's", which again means virtually everyone, a bit silly.

This a quite a lot of bile, isn't it? To repeat myself, poor short-term memory is very common on the spectrum, as is excellent long-term memory. This is often combined in the same person. I coasted through education because of my ability to memorize facts, without trying. Many on here will have done the same. I still have a treacherously good memory, when it comes to quoting NT's back at themselves, usually just after they have contradicted some previous utterance. This is all nothing to get angry about, or mock people for.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 11:36 pm

nephets wrote:
EzraS wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

This a quite a lot of bile, isn't it? To repeat myself, poor short-term memory is very common on the spectrum, as is excellent long-term memory. This is often combined in the same person. I coasted through education because of my ability to memorize facts, without trying. Many on here will have done the same. I still have a treacherously good memory, when it comes to quoting NT's back at themselves, usually just after they have contradicted some previous utterance. This is all nothing to get angry about, or mock people for.

How could I be angry over something I find a bit silly? You can take your comment about "when it comes to quoting NT's back at themselves" and more accurately phrase it, 'when it comes to quoting people back at themselves'. "NT" people are also quite obviously capable of this. If you were around as many autistic people as you are around everyone else, you'd find that autistic people also contradict themselves. As a matter of fact in my years of being on WP daily, I have seen several articles where many autistic people have complained about getting falsely accused of lying, because they seem to contradict themselves.

I read constant misnomers about what autistic people can do that "NT's" i.e. everyone else can't. Or what "NT's" i.e. everyone else does that autistic people don't. When you read this sort of stuff over and over for years, you see a pattern. I rarely see someone who's been on WP a long time and or has spent a lot of time around autistic people irl making these claims.

I have been in schools for autistic students my entire life. If what you're saying is correct, then the majority of those students should have the same experience as you, but that's not the case. The majority of them don't coast through their education. That's according to a teacher I asked about this who has been teaching autistic students for over 20 years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 1:17 pm

There are, definitely, some autistic people who "coast" through their education, yet are "lacking in social skills."

If they are intelligent enough, they realize that "NT gifts" frequently complement "autistic gifts," rather than be diametrically opposed to each other.

Most frequently, these people would fall under the "Asperger's" classification (per DSM-IV), or "Autism Spectrum Disorder, level One" (per DSM-V).

It is true that some "NT's" have a way of being irritating to autistic people, and frequently exclude, and even bully, autistic people, especially when they're in school. But this is far from universal.

Many "NT's" are sympathetic to the plight of autistic people because they have their own troubles, too.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:44 pm

Of course people keep thinking I actually meant NT's aren't remembering things. Not at all. Many NT's only care about socially well placed people. It's just when they play the same conversation with me endlessly that I get irritated. Don't waste my time and yours.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Of course people keep thinking I actually meant NT's aren't remembering things. Not at all. Many NT's only care about socially well placed people. It's just when they play the same conversation with me endlessly that I get irritated. Don't waste my time and yours.

Ironic because apsies do the same thing too; say the same things over and over and also talk about the same things over and over and bore people with it. Now you know how it feels when you do it to others but if you aren't the sort of aspie that does this with your interests or saying the same things over and over, scratch what I said.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:14 pm

One way to avoid people repeating what they said is to be aggressive and push the conversation along, starting with what was said the last time you meant. Don't bother checking to see if they remember, just assume their memory is as good as yours.