Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:40 am

I usually look at the ground while walking, but I've always thought that it's because I'm clumsy and that that way I'll avoid tripping on things... never thought it'd be an autism thing. As for flapping my hands, if my memory serves me correctly I did do that sometimes as a child, but not anymore... or at least I haven't noticed that I'd be doing it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to walk quite awkwardly as a child; but my walking has improved over time.

I wish I lived about 3 miles from work. If I did, I would walk to work every day. It would be a shorter commute than my present one. I'd even do it in most inclement weather.

My home is 20 miles from the office, but I usually just stay at the office. So for the most part, my commute is about 20 feet from my living quarters at the office to my office.

I assume that I look rather clumsy while walking. I sure feel clumsy.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 9:21 am

People recognise me from my walk. It seems normal to me, but apparently I sway from side to side.
And, yes, I tend to look down at the ground. Had no idea that was an autism trait.

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

I've walked on my toes for as long as I can remember, and of course I heard about it from other kids growing up. Even when I managed to walk on my heels as a kid I would get my Mom telling me to "walk normal" all of the time. To this day I have no idea what she wanted me to do differently when he told me to walk normal.

BCTucker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2017, 7:44 pm

I look at the ground when I walk, too, otherwise I frequently trip over any little thing. No one has ever said anything specific about my walking, but I personally feel like I have an odd gait. I've noticed, though, that I do walk more "normally" when I'm carrying something heavy in each hand, like shopping bags or buckets of water, so it might be a proprioceptive sensory issue for me.