Were you the most unpopular person in your school?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:38 pm

I think I'm probably the most unpopular person ever to go to my public school. The other boys saw me as a freak and misfit from the get go.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:44 pm

I think I was one of the people with the fewest close friends, since I spent most of my time alone. But I wasn't in the sense of being the most disliked. Most people were nice to me.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

high school? middle, primary?

in high school....considering my school had more than 20 students and i was fortunately left alone, then....no, i would not go to that extreme.

a lot of people knew my name, they would greet me. but whether or not they wanted to spend time with me was another matter, and it seems like only one person ever did in the four years i was there.

how big was your school?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:51 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
in high school....considering my school had more than 20 students and i was fortunately left alone, then....no, i would not go to that extreme.

Is this a typo?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:55 pm

I was probably close. I wasn't mean to anybody, so I don't think anybody really hated me or feared me, but I got made fun of a lot and I was sort of known as "The Autistic Girl" because the only other kids I went to school with with ASD (as far as I know) were boys. There were some people who were nice to me, however. Sometimes I wonder though if they were just being nice because they felt sorry for me.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:57 pm

TheAP wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Is this a typo?

no

i like to think that, in a group of at least 20 or more i probably wouldn't be the single most unpopular or disliked.

maybe i would be wrong but considering how i was treated (or wasn't treated) it could have been way worse.

so i guess i was like you.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:06 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
high school? middle, primary?

a lot of people knew my name, they would greet me. but whether or not they wanted to spend time with me was another matter, and it seems like only one person ever did in the four years i was there.

how big was your school?

British public(private) school ages 13-18. I guess at the time there were about 450 pupils.

Last edited by firemonkey on 09 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:12 pm

Yes, I was. I was considered one of the most "weird" and "insane" people at my high school. A target for most bullies who abused me physically and verbally for my sexual interests and my feelings towards Shadow The Hedgehog during that time. The kids would always bait me into getting mad and throwing a fit in class by tossing paper balls, batteries, etc. at me and making comments that would get me mad. I've gotten stuff stolen from me, punched in the face and other forms of physical abuse and made into a laughing stalk. One time someone ripped up a picture of Shadow I had in my desk while I went to go to the bathroom.

Teachers were even concerned for me when I began to threaten the kids who were bullying me at the time (I was a very violent kid back then...or at least seemed to be as I haven't actually gotten into a physical fight with someone). I was on the verge of getting expelled from that high school once but it never happened.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:33 pm

Like @firemonkey I attended a small private school (not boarding, though). Arguably I didn't belong there to begin with.

I was probably the most unpopular person (all male) there by far. I may have had some competition with regard to not being popular, but the main distinction was that many people actively disliked me i.e. they would have done me real harm because they felt I genuinely deserved it, not simply as a form of amusement.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

I think the die was cast the first night in the dormitory. As 'normal' boys do there was a lot of bragging about sexual knowledge. I was truthful and showed that I didn't know much. That by itself marked me out as 'odd'.

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2017, 4:05 pm

Yes, probably. Or at least one of the least popular kids.

Since I was undiagnosed at the time, my unpopularity was more due to my sexuality than Asperger's. Back in 2003, homophobia was deemed much more acceptable than it is today. The teachers and other staff members even encouraged it. When I complained about bullying, I was told that I'd brought it on myself for being different. I don't even understand why I was bullied: it's not like I came on to any other kids (why would I want sexual relations with a bunch of homophobic a***holes? There's nothing I find less attractive!)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 4:19 pm

In Secondary I was well known, but not very well liked. Granted, I wasn't the most unpopular person since I knew people who had it worse than me, yet I was still certainly on that list. Although, I gained some respect when I stood up to a teacher that the rest of my science class was afraid of. I was just so sick of her treating me like an idiot, it was so satisfying to talk back to her and prove her wrong. Everyone just looked shocked, and the teacher actually backed down and apologised.

Yeah, I'm glad I stood my ground. After that people thought I was overconfident/cocky and that I needed to chill more, but I didn't care. I'd say that I hung out with both the popular kids, and the not so popular kids. This meant that I was the go to source for gossip and information, since I had knowledge on several groups, but to the disappointment of some I tried my best not to get involved in such nonsense.

People found me confusing since I was so different to many of my friends, and they would wonder why we hung out and yeah, sometimes I wondered the same myself. Despite sometimes hanging out with the popular kids, I still got bullied by certain popular individuals. Although, our school had several popular groups, some of them were even rivals.

I got pushed into walls, doors, had paint thrown at my face, ect. Yeah, I do not miss Secondary school at all.

JT_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2017, 5:20 pm

Wasn't very popular in either school or college, but looking back on it I suppose I'm not really bothered, life's not turned out too bad so far despite that. I have a job, I have a car and I'm saving for a deposit on my own house etc, more than most of the so called popular kids and bullies have.

RAADS-R: 170

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
no

i like to think that, in a group of at least 20 or more i probably wouldn't be the single most unpopular or disliked.

maybe i would be wrong but considering how i was treated (or wasn't treated) it could have been way worse.

so i guess i was like you.

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure, since 20 is such a low threshold. :P

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

Well, if we assume that 1% of the population has ASD of some form, there would be more than one person on the spectrum in a given school (unless you're in a very small school).

Based on this, even if all of the least popular people are Aspies, only one of them can be the very most unpopular. Therefore, the majority of Aspies cannot have been the most unpopular person in school.

I was definitely unpopular, but I can think of a few people who had it worse than me.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm

I'm not really sure where I stand and stood. I never even knew popularity was a real thing until someone brought it up to me. When really young, I had friends but it was always one single friend. As I got older, it turned into 2 or 3. Then I lost them all, then eventually I settled back in with a few good friends. Even when I was alone I didn't know or care (when I was younger, now I do) what people thought and had no way of communicating enough to them in the first place to understand where I stood in terms of popularity.