Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2007, 11:53 am

I'm not quite sure which parts of me I would get to keep, if I were cured. I know I value certain things about myself, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're there because I have AS. I know my AS causes people to give me the "you're weird -- what's wrong with you?" look every time I'm forced to interact. There's no denying it; it's painful! I know that no matter how hard I try, I'm never accepted by ANY group, the way I am now. Before I knew about AS (my entire life -- 35 years), I felt I had no choice but to keep trying to change myself. I thought I would eventually find the answer. The few times I managed to fool people into thinking I was normal, I wasn't able to keep it up. It was exhausting! If it were one of the choices, I think I would just change the world to be more accepting of all people, not labeling them as mentally ill, just because they don't behave in the expected manner. If everyone was charmed by my different personality, I'm sure life wouldn't be so painful and exhausting. Unfortunatey, we're never going to change the world in that way. We can help them become more aware, but we can never force them to completely welcome us into their world.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2007, 12:14 pm

I think it`s both a blessing and a curse. We are alot more un-social and isolated. But at the good side we can have alot of knowledge about what we like (for an example drawing, poetry etc.).

That`s atleast how i feel it.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 12:28 pm

I don't know when it comes to remembering things it's good but socially it is a curse

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 12:29 pm

I'd rather have a good memory and no friends. 8)

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2007, 12:31 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
I don't know when it comes to remembering things it's good but socially it is a curse

Yes, my dentist thought it was the strangest thing when I talked to him about certain parts of his life. He acted like I was a stalker, asking me how I knew those things about him. When I reminded him that we had discussed them at my last appointment, months earlier, he was kind of freaked out that I would remember.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 2:36 pm

kiki3 wrote:
MrMacPhisto wrote:

Yes, my dentist thought it was the strangest thing when I talked to him about certain parts of his life. He acted like I was a stalker, asking me how I knew those things about him. When I reminded him that we had discussed them at my last appointment, months earlier, he was kind of freaked out that I would remember.

:lol: :lol: I FORGOT about that! That has happened to ME also. I used to continue some conversations days, weeks, or months later, and THAT freaked people out! HEY, if they insinuate something, indicate that they believe something incorrect, etc... and you HAVE to go, what are you going to do? Anyway, I stopped that. 8-( Still, my bosses sometimes act like I can't remember something they said 10 minutes ago, when I can sometimes remember things said well over 10 YEARS ago. I met my current boss about 7 years ago, and I still remember where I was, how I reacted, what he spoke about, etc...

BTW I think it is both, but I like it overall.

Steve

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2007, 2:46 pm

SteveK wrote:
kiki3 wrote:
MrMacPhisto wrote:

:lol: :lol: I FORGOT about that! That has happened to ME also. I used to continue some conversations days, weeks, or months later, and THAT freaked people out! HEY, if they insinuate something, indicate that they believe something incorrect, etc... and you HAVE to go, what are you going to do? Anyway, I stopped that. 8-( Still, my bosses sometimes act like I can't remember something they said 10 minutes ago, when I can sometimes remember things said well over 10 YEARS ago. I met my current boss about 7 years ago, and I still remember where I was, how I reacted, what he spoke about, etc...

BTW I think it is both, but I like it overall.

Steve

Yeah, and I thought I was just having good people skills by actually listening when someone spoke to me and caring enough to ask about it later. :roll: Since NT's are not used to it, they conclude that we must be losers who have nothing better to do than remember the few meaningless conversations we've had.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2007, 3:46 pm

Can't say either way as I've never known any different. Its definately helpfull in some areas, and at other times its a total pain. :twisted:

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 4:03 pm

Neither. I am who I am and I can work on things to improve them, but I will always be me. I don't see Asperger's as being something added on to who I am or something that makes me who I am. I think Asperger's is just a label that describes a set of traits that someone has, but it does not describe them as a whole. Neither do I think that it is something that is added on and it changes who a person really is. I think that people should just be viewed as individuals with their own traits that may or may not fit the description of Asperger's syndrome.

UrbanStrike
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2007, 7:10 pm

Much like everyone else I believe it's a bit of both.

Everyday I feel sadness and pain that I can't connect to human beings whatsoever. That I'm never going to be apart of their world. As much as I can pretend I'm one of them, I'm not. I don't want to be an "actor" for the rest of my life.

On the brightside I enjoy my logical train of thought. When real world problems occur I usually can see outside of the box and come at them from a new view point.