Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2017, 5:58 am

I've got two questions about them. I'm thinking of buying a pair, but I'm quite poor. So, first question: Does anyone know about a brand that's both affordable and functional?

Second question: I've heard that using noise canceling headphones could make you even more sensitive to sounds when you're not wearing them. If that's the case, maybe the headphones aren't the best solution for this problem? Any experiences with this?

Thanks y'all!

Embla

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2017, 6:33 am

I use these: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 473&rt=rud at home and these: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headp ... index.html in public transport. The latter don't cancel so much of the noise but enough to lower the underground train noise below my threshold of pain. And having audio earbuds in public transport looks perfectly normal so nobody is making any fuss about it.
The former cancel much more, I wear them when even the sound of falling tap water makes my head ache. There are days like this.

I don't wear them all the time, just in certain situations when either the noise is bigger or my tollerance lower. My friend says it makes me calmer. I didn't notice this kind of use made me less tolerant. Maybe more aware but the sensitivity is all the time the same. Maybe if you wore them for all the day your sensitivity could increase but occasional use does not influence it much.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

When new, foam earplugs are as good as those passive cans. I have tried "white noise generators" to block the bass thumping from a party, and the necessary volume was too much. It is hard to block the irritating component and keep the soothing "normal" ambience.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

I got a pair for like 10 USD. There pretty good.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm

Cans don't make your ear bacteria multiply like in-ear gear, but they are tough to wear when sleeping. I bought the cheapest noise-cancelling cans I could find a decade ago, and they didn't really reduce the sound, just smeared it somewhat into white noise.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When new, foam earplugs are as good as those passive cans. I have tried "white noise generators" to block the bass thumping from a party, and the necessary volume was too much. It is hard to block the irritating component and keep the soothing "normal" ambience.

Not for me.
I once had to wear industrial-strength earplugs at work.
They didn't work.
Sure wish they did.

Still they seem cheaper than headphones, so you might as well give them a try
and hopefully they'll work for you.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:41 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Not for me.
I once had to wear industrial-strength earplugs at work.
They didn't work.
Sure wish they did.

Still they seem cheaper than headphones, so you might as well give them a try
and hopefully they'll work for you.

Did you roll them between your fingers and thumb to make them into thin sticks for the insertion? Made of slow-memory foam, they then expand to fit.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 2:37 pm

I have noise cancelling headphones and my experience is that they do help somewhat with noise. Being more sensitive to noise afterwards I think depends on the person and I would be one of them that do become more sensitive to the noise when I take them off.

I would use earplugs but they feel uncomfortable overtime and I fear that they might block sound too much and cause me not to hear oncoming traffic.(Such as someone speeding). Had an experience once when I was listening to my MP3 player while walking and almost ran into a parked car, luckily the person in it blew the horn before I hit it! It's a good thing I wasn't on the street!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 12:14 am

Before buying the noise canceling headphones, you can try wearing earplugs or listening to something through earbuds underneath ear defenders.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:10 am

Rather than pay huge sums for noise-canceling headphones, I embarked on a bit of a project and bastardised a cheap pair of 3M ear defenders (http://www.safetyshop.com/3m-peltor-optime-iii-ear-muffs-35db.html) by adding the drivers and wiring from some relatively cheap but high-quality Koss headphones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-Black/dp/B005I497OI). It looks a bit strange so only wear in the house but it cuts out all noise and lets me relax.

Alexithymia: 137

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 6:15 am

starkid wrote:
Before buying the noise canceling headphones, you can try wearing earplugs or listening to something through earbuds underneath ear defenders.

Good idea!

I've thought of just getting some of those big earmuffs you see babies wearing at concerts. I'm not sure which attracts the most attention, big earmuffs or brightly colored earplugs sticking out of my head. I guess the muffs can be seen from further away, but have the feeling that earplugs looks weirder?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 6:17 am

Si_82 wrote:
Rather than pay huge sums for noise-canceling headphones, I embarked on a bit of a project and bastardised a cheap pair of 3M ear defenders (http://www.safetyshop.com/3m-peltor-optime-iii-ear-muffs-35db.html) by adding the drivers and wiring from some relatively cheap but high-quality Koss headphones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-Ear-Stereo-Headphones-Black/dp/B005I497OI). It looks a bit strange so only wear in the house but it cuts out all noise and lets me relax.

That is so smart! Gee, if only I had skills like that.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm

I wish earplugs worked for me.