Childish interests is an Aspie thing? Feeling embarrassed?

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

16 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.



I remember a large number of G.I.Joes,Transformers,and Masters of the Universe figures though, I eventually gave them away to my step-brother at the time not know they would derive some significant value decades later but, always enjoyed passing hours away having imaginary battles.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Jul 2017
Age: 1947
Gender: Male
Posts: 502

16 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.


Star Wars figures I owned as a child:

1. Fighter Pilot Luke
2. Jedi Knight Luke
3. Darth Vader
4. R2D2
5. C3PO
6. Chewie
7. Lando in his bounty hunter disguise
8. Lando in his Cloud City costume
9. A Gamoorean Guard
10. Obi Wan Kenobi
11. A Stormtrooper
12. The Ewok Medicine Man



jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 14 Dec 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
Location: Victoria, Australia

16 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

My special interest is writing at the moment, which to some extent includes reading. Next year, I'm going to study English and Publishing. I just hope my interest doesn't waver in that time, so that I can continue to study into the years that follow.
Other interests which I fall into and out of regularly (including writing) are: chess, video games, reading, english, technology such as devices which I like to sit somewhere rendered useless, languages- Russian, Arabic, and others I take less seriously, psychology, various self help and reference type books regarding things I'd like to know more about. Being inbetween interests is a painful experience for me.
I don't handle boredom very well at all, and find it causes me a great deal of stress. Sometimes I retreat into my bedroom and lay down to try to relax with some quiet. Other times I find solace in looking through my old toys. It reminds me of my childhood and how I would relate to my teddy bears, or ninja turtle action figures, even the cars while they were doing a "smash 'em up."


_________________
WordPress for Bloggers
https://jedicounsellor.wordpress.com/


Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2015
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 258

10 May 2023, 3:10 pm

I enjoy watching Arthur when I get home from bar hopping and am waiting for my ambien to kick in



Phoenix87x
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 10 May 2023
Gender: Male
Posts: 16
Location: Philadelphia

10 May 2023, 6:07 pm

I'm 35, but i've always looked at the world with childlike wonder.

To this day I love to stare at things or get excited about things in a childlike way such as bouncing up and down on a chair or putting both hands in the air.

I like to do cartwheels and climb trees as well. And whenever I go to breakfast I get chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream.

And now that I've been diagnosed, I will never feel guilty about any of it ever again.


_________________
Diagnosed Level 1 Autism at age 35


GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 3 May 2023
Age: 31
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 363
Location: Canada

10 May 2023, 6:39 pm

Most things associated with childishness are objectively fun and pleasant (toys, plushies, cartoons, comics, bright colours, candy, enthusiasm, playfulness, curiosity). I think that not having an appreciation for any of these things as an adult is strange. Fun things are fun

Sometimes I suspect that neurotypicals like these things to the same extent as people on the spectrum, the just suppress it because they're constantly operating by arbitrary social rules.

I used to feel embarrassed about being too "childish" but it rarely bothers me anymore



ElmersTrueLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2024
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 458
Location: Elmer Fudd's Cupid form

21 May 2024, 11:12 am

I adore Looney Tunes but I also love Nintendo and Sanrio. I also fear my Sesame Street phase coming back (even though I'm scenemo), because I finally realized I was a fictionkin of Ernie this entire time, and besides, I will admit the Elmo Vs. Rocco memes are hilarious. I also used to like MLP but I was bullied out of it by Nintendo fanboys, but LPS and Furby are safe for now. But it's mostly Looney Tunes that keeps me sane. It's the one favorite show that has lasted the longest. My family has judged me a lot for the things I like, saying Looney Tunes made me dumber and I had it worse during the said Sesame Street phase in 2016 where I couldn't get a lot of merchandise, either way I was banned from liking things but not people who were "lower functioning". I remember in elementary my parents were told to take away everything Where's My Water related and I had to leave my Swampy and Allie dolls in the hallway. In conclusion, it's ok to like cartoons and stuffed animals.


_________________
Someone: You attract what you fear.‬
‪Me: I'm terrified of Elmer Fudd.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+


Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Aug 2022
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 844
Location: Mushroom Kingdom or Bikini Bottom

21 May 2024, 5:24 pm

I like cartoons like SpongeBob SquarePants and Rugrats, anime, Nintendo video games and I collect Barbie dolls

Yet I want to do more adult things like gamble, drive, drink alcohol, have sex, get married, etc


_________________
"You have never experienced true love but that doesn't mean you won't EVER find it!" -SpongeBob SquarePants


ElmersTrueLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2024
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 458
Location: Elmer Fudd's Cupid form

21 May 2024, 6:10 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
I adore Looney Tunes but I also love Nintendo and Sanrio. I also fear my Sesame Street phase coming back (even though I'm scenemo), because I finally realized I was a fictionkin of Ernie this entire time, and besides, I will admit the Elmo Vs. Rocco memes are hilarious. I also used to like MLP but I was bullied out of it by Nintendo fanboys, but LPS and Furby are safe for now. But it's mostly Looney Tunes that keeps me sane. It's the one favorite show that has lasted the longest. My family has judged me a lot for the things I like, saying Looney Tunes made me dumber and I had it worse during the said Sesame Street phase in 2016 where I couldn't get a lot of merchandise, either way I was banned from liking things but not people who were "lower functioning". I remember in elementary my parents were told to take away everything Where's My Water related and I had to leave my Swampy and Allie dolls in the hallway. In conclusion, it's ok to like cartoons and stuffed animals.


Reminder.

Liking things like Looney Tunes, Sanrio and Where's My Water does NOT make me a virgin.


_________________
Someone: You attract what you fear.‬
‪Me: I'm terrified of Elmer Fudd.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+


angelsonthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2024
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 147

21 May 2024, 8:49 pm

I think a lot of people with autism want an escape that "adult" stuff doesn't as often provide. Some autistics may be put off by things like work, romance, sex, etc. being the primary focus. Personally, I dislike how often cheating is a storyline in a lot of modern American stuff.

I was watching Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons last night. Like a minute in it's about the main character cheating. I quit watching shortly after. I was hoping for great action with a respectable protagonist, not cheating and family drama.

Even many NTs turn to simpler times with things like Friends and Seinfeld, or prefer the more lighthearted Korean dramas.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,585
Location: Right over your left shoulder

21 May 2024, 8:57 pm

angelsonthemoon wrote:
Personally, I dislike how often cheating is a storyline in a lot of modern American stuff.


If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'. :nerdy:


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
GOP Predators


Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Aug 2022
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 844
Location: Mushroom Kingdom or Bikini Bottom

22 May 2024, 3:11 am

angelsonthemoon wrote:
I think a lot of people with autism want an escape that "adult" stuff doesn't as often provide. Some autistics may be put off by things like work, romance, sex, etc. being the primary focus. Personally, I dislike how often cheating is a storyline in a lot of modern American stuff.

I was watching Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons last night. Like a minute in it's about the main character cheating. I quit watching shortly after. I was hoping for great action with a respectable protagonist, not cheating and family drama.

Even many NTs turn to simpler times with things like Friends and Seinfeld, or prefer the more lighthearted Korean dramas.


Exactly!! !

You hit the nail on the head

This is why a lot of kids' stuff is so popular!


_________________
"You have never experienced true love but that doesn't mean you won't EVER find it!" -SpongeBob SquarePants