Should you have been aborted? (Genetics)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:38 pm

How many people on this site think that they have value?

I am asking because I believe I have no value to civilization. So to those who are not savants, who live on disability, whose families tell them they are special, do you think you have a value?

I'm gonna tell you why I think you and I don't. You're special interests are not that interesting. You're ability to focus on minutia, not that helpful. You're lack of ability to empathize in the moment, "I can see you're in trouble, but I have to process it first," sad.

I'm going out on a limb to say that the gifts of autism are a small payoff for the what we drain from others. Perhaps I should post in the Haven, but I think this is more general.

They will find a genetic identifier for autism, and then we will be gone. Thank God.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 5:55 pm

Holy hell keep this to yourself. People are going to be triggered by this stuff.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:21 pm

androbot01 wrote:
How many people on this site think that they have value?

I am asking because I believe I have no value to civilization. So to those who are not savants, who live on disability, whose families tell them they are special, do you think you have a value?

I'm gonna tell you why I think you and I don't. You're special interests are not that interesting. You're ability to focus on minutia, not that helpful. You're lack of ability to empathize in the moment, "I can see you're in trouble, but I have to process it first," sad.

I'm going out on a limb to say that the gifts of autism are a small payoff for the what we drain from others. Perhaps I should post in the Haven, but I think this is more general.

They will find a genetic identifier for autism, and then we will be gone. Thank God.

Honestly, that's how I feel about myself, too. I think plenty of autistic people, even who aren't savants, can have great value to society, but I think I missed out on those key traits. I honestly feel like I'm more trouble than I'm worth, and if my parents had found out I was going to be, I wouldn't blame them for aborting me.

Sorry, probably not helpful - I debated whether I should even post this.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

Masakados wrote:
Holy hell keep this to yourself. People are going to be triggered by this stuff.

Why should I? It's a legitimate question. How much of a burden is worth it to society and to those who care about you? People shy away from the tough questions, but life is not a bed of roses. We all die.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

androbot01 wrote:

absolutely pathetic display

maybe this is true for you, i guess, but it sure as hell isn’t for me, and all the other aspies out there who do give a damn about themselves.

kindly quit projecting.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

Well personally I don’t think I should have been aborted. Some days I used to before I knew I had ASD but now I know, I accept that it’s what makes me me and I have a family who love me and a few friends who truly appreciate and are good to me. Sone days I find it hard to see the positives in life I admit but I have value. I’m sure you do too and the person who just posted agreeing with you. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean you don’t

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:38 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
absolutely pathetic display

Get over yourself. Maybe your life is great, but it's not the same for all of us.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:40 pm

I know that I have value, although it's hard for me to see it sometimes. I have had a positive impact on people in the past, and it's likely that I will continue to do so in the future.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:46 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I know that I have value, although it's hard for me to see it sometimes. I have had a positive impact on people in the past, and it's likely that I will continue to do so in the future.

I get that. I have always tried to have a positive impact and I know I have. But ultimately, who cares? I try to be positive. I am. I get kicked in the teeth. I know it is selfish to talk about how one's life may not be worth the bother, but I'm not sure why.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

Kicked in the teeth is a dramatic understatement for me, I think.
But it isn't a competition.
It's hard. It's really, really difficult.
And when it comes down to it, who cares? Why bother? Well I won't know if I don't keep trying, will I? Doesn't matter if the majority of people don't care. It matters when one person does. The rest of them can take a flying leap. The point of the noble act is that it doesn't matter if no one notices.
Why bother?
Because sometimes life is just so beautiful, and I'd really hate miss one of those moments.

I'm here, as in continuing to exist and breathe air because I want to be. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about that.
And truthfully, sparing some seriously personal details, it's amazingly lucky that I was born, and that I had someone that cared about me. And I'm thankful for that, and unwilling to relinquish my grasp on life just yet.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:18 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
...and all the other aspies out there who do give a damn about themselves.

kindly quit projecting.

Do you really think I don't give a damn about myself? I'm 47 years old. I considered suicide first at 10 years. I've really been trying to hang in there. Our experiences are obviously different and I'm not going to go back through the years to autism treatments in the '70s or to our comparative social supports.

It just seems to me that I am not getting anything out of the deal of life. No matter how hard I try.

elbowgrease wrote:
...point of the noble act is that it doesn't matter if no one notices.

Nobility will get you nowhere, but I keep trying too.

elbowgrease wrote:
Because sometimes life is just so beautiful, and I'd really hate miss one of those moments.

Yeah, life can be beautiful. But not enough for me to stick around for.

elbowgrease wrote:
it's amazingly lucky that I was born, and that I had someone that cared about me.

I was amazingly unlucky to be born to two people who didn't care a toss about me. But still I am supposed to smile, isnt't that right, Kiprobalhato? Keep smiling, everything is great, problem? no not me.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:32 pm

I tried it for the first time when I was five.
Most of the time, it's a good day if I can make it out of bed without thinking about it.
I don't smile. To an extent that it's problematic. I didn't know how to until I was 29.
I keep hoping tomorrow will be a better day, even though it usually isn't.
Maybe the only reason I stick around is because I hate myself so much, and I want to drag it out as long as I possibly can.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

Nobody should have been aborted.
Abortion is murder.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 7:37 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
...and all the other aspies out there who do give a damn about themselves.

kindly quit projecting.

Do you really think I don't give a damn about myself? I'm 47 years old. I considered suicide first at 10 years. I've really been trying to hang in there. Our experiences are obviously different and I'm not going to go back through the years to autism treatments in the '70s or to our comparative social supports.

It just seems to me that I am not getting anything out of the deal of life. No matter how hard I try.

elbowgrease wrote:
...point of the noble act is that it doesn't matter if no one notices.

Nobility will get you nowhere, but I keep trying too.

elbowgrease wrote:

Yeah, life can be beautiful. But not enough for me to stick around for.

elbowgrease wrote:
it's amazingly lucky that I was born, and that I had someone that cared about me.

I was amazingly unlucky to be born to two people who didn't care a toss about me. But still I am supposed to smile, isnt't that right, Kiprobalhato? Keep smiling, everything is great, problem? no not me.

You just want attention. If you were so miserable you wouldn't be here. Stop giving her what she wants everyone.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:48 pm

I want to get in a time machine & convince my parents not to have me. How much of this can be attributed to asd or just being born into a dysfunctional family system, I don’t know.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

My mother kept me against doctors' advice. That's right: the doctors were recommending abortion. Who am I to tell her she shouldn't have risked her life? I know she would do it a million times over again.