Is staying off Facebook an Aspie thing?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2017, 3:22 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I'd suspect that, for the most part, Facebook probably has a somewhat lower usage rate among Aspies than among NTs. It's probably not being on the spectrum makes one averse to Facebook, but rather having less social interaction in real life results in less stuff to share (eg. photoes from a social event) and also fewer people to share them with. Thus, a likely somewhat lower usage rate.

There are people who are philosophically opposed to Facebook and this rate may also be somewhat higher among Aspies simply due to higher technical interest, but I suspect that this would have less of an effect than the social reasons.

This is very good reasoning. Thank you.

As for the having fewer people to share photos with: I had around 80 "friends" (contacts/acquaintances) on Facebook when I closed my account. An NT family member has 600+! I've never understood that: where do people like that meet so many people? Do they even know them at all?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 11:34 pm

Dataunit wrote:
I now realise that I didn't really want to be there in the first place; I only did it to please my friends and family.

Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, the only reason why I joined was that my then boyfriend wanted me to.

I go there very rarely as I find it very boring and pointless. I would never dream of posting pics of myself or family online, and I prefer to share my interests elsewhere (if at all).
It has been useful to find some turtle stuff, but now I tend to use Twitter more for that.

I think disinterest in it is fairly common for us, but it's def not just us. There are a few NTs too who take no interest in Facebook

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

spaceone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2017, 4:08 am

Dataunit wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
I'd suspect that, for the most part, Facebook probably has a somewhat lower usage rate among Aspies than among NTs. It's probably not being on the spectrum makes one averse to Facebook, but rather having less social interaction in real life results in less stuff to share (eg. photoes from a social event) and also fewer people to share them with. Thus, a likely somewhat lower usage rate.

There are people who are philosophically opposed to Facebook and this rate may also be somewhat higher among Aspies simply due to higher technical interest, but I suspect that this would have less of an effect than the social reasons.

This is very good reasoning. Thank you.

As for the having fewer people to share photos with: I had around 80 "friends" (contacts/acquaintances) on Facebook when I closed my account. An NT family member has 600+! I've never understood that: where do people like that meet so many people? Do they even know them at all?

When I was on Facebook, I think I had around 300-400 "friends", most of whom I had met maybe once in a club setting. I started to hate how when I went out, many of these people seemed to think they knew a fair deal about me and I often could barely even remember their name, only recognizing the face I'd met once before either looking at me expectantly like I should be saying hello to them or willfully ignoring me because of my obvious social anxiety. It got to the point that those weird feelings started even spreading to the people who I had at one time felt relatively close to. And that was just the in real life application of it.. online I often ended getting in lengthy and pointless arguments over very technical things and proceeding to feel guilty for being accidentally very harsh with someone! Now, since I've deleted my Facebook, I don't feel like all of these people who once knew me are watching me and keeping tabs on me all of the time. On the rare occasion that some of my friends do get me out to a party, it's refreshing because the people who actually did care about me then approach me and are legitimately interested in what I've been up to and I have something to talk about. I seem to be invisible to everyone else and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Btw, I just found out I am on the spectrum and so I'm relatively new to the ND community, just thought I'd share my personal experience to perhaps help you find your answer! :)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 9:35 am

Ditto the first three paragraphs from Esmeralda. (I don't know much about cyber-bullying.)

MusicForTheMind
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2017, 11:20 am

Whether it's an Aspie thing to be very private; I don't know, but I do not use any social media of any kind.
I think everything is far too public these days and the concept that posting to the world " Waiting for the bus, before I go home for a PotNoodle" on Twitter is no less than inane.
If other people agree that Spectrum Inhabitors may be of above average intelligence, then it's only expectable for us to stay away from such stuff.
It may be an age thing too though. At 52, I'm more than happy to just have the web and a hotmail account.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:37 pm

I joined briefly, but felt completely out of place. It seemed to be full of perfect people with perfect lives, congratulating themselves on how wonderful they were. Not my cup of tea.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:40 pm

I've tried FB a few times but I always end up deleting my account. My three main irritants are:

1) news feed - don't want to read the news FB selects for me

2) privacy (or lack thereof)

3) friends whining about politics constantly

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 11:21 am

I didn't used to like Facebook, but it has grown on me. It keeps me updated on certain events, and when people aren't oversharing too much I can stay low-key in touch. It does seem to get more invasive... like I'll get notifications that my friend is at an event nearby. Which is just creepy.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 12:04 pm

What I've noticed lately is the friend suggestion notification window that pops up on my desktop.

I saw a profile picture of some random guy with long black hair and a menacing look on his face which naturally got me super flustered, blushing, flipping out because I thought this person had sent me a friend request. But nope, just an automatic friend suggestion. It was a funny experience though.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 4:38 pm

I dont have a facebook account, never have never will .