Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:07 pm

I hated school growing up. There were so many things about school that sucked.

1. I was bullied endlessly.
2. I was a faster learner than my classmates so I was bored all the time even in honors classes.
3. I hated homework.
4. Some kids hogged up the teachers' attention( the troublemakers and the butt kissers).
5. Teachers played favourites.
6. Some teachers had really poor class management skills.

Did school suck for you? If so, why?

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:30 pm

Yes, my school experience was probably one of the most negative experiences I had in my life. I explained my experience in high school and college on two threads on this site which is what I'll post below:

High School

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
Yes, I was. I was considered one of the most "weird" and "insane" people at my high school. A target for most bullies who abused me physically and verbally for my sexual interests and my feelings towards Shadow The Hedgehog during that time. The kids would always bait me into getting mad and throwing a fit in class by tossing paper balls, batteries, etc. at me and making comments that would get me mad. I've gotten stuff stolen from me, punched in the face and other forms of physical abuse and made into a laughing stalk. One time someone ripped up a picture of Shadow I had in my desk while I went to go to the bathroom.

Teachers were even concerned for me when I began to threaten the kids who were bullying me at the time (I was a very violent kid back then...or at least seemed to be as I haven't actually gotten into a physical fight with someone). I was on the verge of getting expelled from that high school once but it never happened.(http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=357532&start=0)

College

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
I dropped out from a previous college before because I just...couldn't do it. Living on campus and everything coupled with my extreme socially anxious personality did not go well. There were times when I couldn't sit and listen to a conversation being held in class and I'd have to walk out the room a few times to avoid exhibiting any "abnormal" behavior which would've gotten me into trouble and forced to seek help.

What initially made me decide that I couldn't keep up with school work is during one of my classes where we were assigned to read a book that talked about the spirituality and sexuality of non-contemporary cultures. It touched down on my sexual interest specifically which started me to sweat and become out of breath. I had to escape, I couldn't sit and listen to the possibility of people talk about my interests in a negative way. So I went to the bathroom and cried having flashbacks of being called out as a mental case, someone who needed to be locked up and killed by people from my past. I ended up yelling and throwing a fit in the bathroom, slamming the stall doors, flinging my body around and punching the walls. Again, Shadow tried to calm me down and provide support.

Once I did finally regain sanity, I decided to just grab myself and not continue class for that day. I gradually began to not go to my classes or finish my work. I was in a state of depression. I didn't want to leave my dorm and all I wanted to do was cry and sleep.

Eventually, I ended up going back home after the semester was over which ended up with me being punished by my mother and forced to get a job despite what I was going through. During that time I was suicidal, though my friends did all that they could to stop me from killing myself.

It was like a year before I decided on going back to college again. Now I do online college as my alternative. (http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=330708&start=30)

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2017, 1:58 pm

Yes, school has been an issue for a long time. I was unschooled all through elementary - which was wonderful - but I chose to switch because I didn't have access to many books or learning opportunities at home (two working parents, never with time for library trips). I felt like I was falling behind my peers, so I asked to be placed in the online school my older sisters were enrolled in at the start of middle school. I'd been reading their high-school textbooks, and I loved the material. And middle school went pretty well, actually. I was behind here and there, mostly when it came to writing, but I caught up and genuinely enjoyed it for a while. Until ninth grade.

I'd already read most of the assigned fiction and textbooks thanks to my older sisters. Going over it again I was totally disillusioned with the content. My English teachers never gave me any criticism. The history books were filled with glaring errors (written by the school's co-founder, of course). And that's not to mention the blasted science courses. I could rant for days about those. A real question from a test: "There were no dinosaurs on the Ark. True or False?" Anyone want to take a crack at that? The answer is false. Freaking false.

I begged my parents to let me transfer out and switch back to unschooling, but they refused. I've had to weather it out since. I lapse into months of lethargy, having to work through this kind of garbage. I hear public school students complain about having to regurgitate information, but I'd give anything just to be taught what's true, or at least has some semblance of sanity.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 2:27 pm

I would have to say that school sucks for me for the following 6 reasons you listed. But the number 1 reason, the bullying was by far the worse of them all.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
I hated school growing up. There were so many things about school that sucked.

1. I was bullied endlessly.
2. I was a faster learner than my classmates so I was bored all the time even in honors classes.
3. I hated homework.
4. Some kids hogged up the teachers' attention( the troublemakers and the butt kissers).
5. Teachers played favourites.
6. Some teachers had really poor class management skills.

If you are going to start a thread like this, it's probably not a good idea to plagiarize my entire school experience word for word!! :D

On a more serious note, this is an excellent summary of why I absolutely hated school. I didn't see a whole lot of 5 even though on one occasion, the bully was the teacher's son but the other ones on the list, yes, yes and yes. I have always said (and I sincerely mean it) that if I had to go through school again in this lifetime, I would kill myself first. Yes it was THAT bad, particularly in Grades 7 and 8.

I've watched these jail 'reality' TV programs that supposedly try to show how bad it is but I noticed it looked far nicer than any school I ever attended. At least the jail guards would break up an assault rather than blame and punish the victim for it. That's not even getting into the fact in jail they separate the vulnerable from the violent and keep them isolated. In school that's called 'preparing for the real world' although even in the 'real world' half my classmates would have been taken from the school in handcuffs.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 3:51 pm

Elaine, you probably should have been in college rather than high school. I don't know you but I see your posts and it's possible you're a Savant.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 5:16 pm

I didn't enjoy high school or even undergrad studies until I transferred to a university that was based on the educational philosophy of John Dewey. After that, I started to like academia, found a competitive grad school that challenged me, and began working in an industry that I love.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 5:20 pm

In chronological order:

1. Always had one or two bullies pushing and shoving me around on the school bus on the way to school, i would always walk back after school or get another bus.
2. Stuck to one place before school opened for registration and kept getting harassed for staying in the one place i thought safe and out of harms way.
3. Later years of school I started to get lunch money because i continually couldn't stomach eating sandwiches every day and parents could not make sandwiches so I kept giving them to people who would eat them instead.
4. Always singled out in classes in terms of team-building exercises, always got distracted by people chatting behind me, hard chairs were uncomfortable, and never could complete homework because I never got support from parents and the internet and gaming were the ultimate distraction from my school work.
5. Was put into the lowest class set, meaning I could only sit the lowest grade exam paper. Thus resulting in being taught by supply teachers in most of my classes who didn't care about my education.
6. Abuse persisted through P.E, where the bullies congregated and I was unlucky to be put in the same group as them.
7. Dreaded going home but also dreaded staying at school, also faced abuse at home if I took a single step out of line like for example, not making my bed in the morning or unable to go to sleep because of my sensory overload.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 6:37 pm

It sucked because of a combination of usually being the shortest boy in my class, usually being the only Jew in my class, undiagnosed autism/lack of autism knowledge.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 6:42 pm

I'm so sorry you guys had to endure so much bullying. Bullying is number one on my list because it made me want to skip school as often as I could. Kids called me names and ganged up on me. They kicked my backpack in middle school. I almost never had anyone to hang with. I wanted to beat the snot out of my bullies, but I knew the teachers would have punished me instead of the bullies even though the bullies deserved to beat up.

College sucked too. Even there I was a faster learner than my classmates. I took dual enrollment classes in high school and my professors didn't even realize that I was dual enrolled because I had the best grades in my class and I was very mature for a high school student. The professors were pretty stuck up and full of themselves.

My sister's teachers were even worse than mine since she was in special education classes. Most of her teachers couldn't run a classroom to save their lives. Some of her teachers were not very bright either. One of her teachers didn't even know the capital of New Mexico. How can you be a teacher and constantly pass on incorrect information to your students?

Private schools aren't any better than public schools. I went to public schools and now I work at a private school. The private school kids give the public school kids plenty of competition when it comes to their crappy behavior.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 9:30 pm

Schools are run by dumbasses.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 10:01 pm

Syd wrote:
I didn't enjoy high school or even undergrad studies until I transferred to a university that was based on the educational philosophy of John Dewey. After that, I started to like academia, found a competitive grad school that challenged me, and began working in an industry that I love.

What about John Dewey's philosophy worked for you?

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

1-5 all true for me, in addition to

6. 4th grade teacher left for maternity leave at beginning of year, long term sub was the best teacher I’ve ever had, when 4th grade teacher came back, she targeted me and set me up, lied to me, tried to play me and my parents against each other.

7. First half of Kindergarten spent in Texas, teacher literally hated me, the only thing I remember about that school is the corner that she made me stay in, she convinced my young inexperienced parents that I needed to be institutionalized or in a special school, she is the reason I was put on an anti-psychotic for a few months until I left Texas and my parents realized that all the medication was doing was making me crazy.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 12:09 am

starcats wrote:
What about John Dewey's philosophy worked for you?

I found the creative freedom that I'd always desired in experiential education. Our school allowed us to design our own independent studies. I could intimately explore subjects of personal interest, read authors of my own choosing, and practice skills that were directly relevant to my goals in life.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2017, 12:39 am

Bullying wasn't so much a problem for me, at least physical wasn't. I started weightlifting when I was 8, and martial arts not long after. I even won the Judo states competition fighting up in a higher division in under 16's when I was 13, simply because there was no other 13 year olds withing 20kg of me. Pretty soon the bullies at my school learnt to leave me alone.

Other than that I had all those problems.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 12:59 am

I was actually better on friend making at school. Also most bullies these days "passive aggressively" bully other people by getting weaker people to do it for them. If not, it boils down to Snapchat nudes or something.
Academically, school is a mixedm bag. I am terrible at math, English, sciences, but was always good at art classes. I am also good with computers. I study film now; no tests, just short films or audio or proposals for work. Thinking about theatre, where I also have little issue. Also in history. Terrible at writing, but I somehow ace every exam. My grades are inconsistent, but my GPA legit does not matter for me to get a job.