Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 7:16 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I hated school because

1. The bullies
2. Stuck-up kids who excluded anybody who was differernt
3. The kids were too shallow to care about anything other than the latest fashions, hair and music
4. The fact I had to see a counselor because I couldn't handle all that
5. The bells. I think someone on the PA would have said, "You have 5 minutes to move on to your next class."
6. I never got to take Psychology as an elective because of my resource room teacher's idea about me and that was my
special interest.

Yep. I had teachers who, when they found out I had a special interest, they'd actively try to make me stop studying it. If a student has a special interest that could become their career so I can't imagine why they don't want students to study their special interests.

I had a teacher who made me hate poetry by somehow selecting the worst poetry ever written and making us copy it verbatim. I now like poetry. If she was still alive I'd tell that poetry is more than just rhyming couplets.

This same teacher went on leave for a while and said "I'll miss each one of you, except for you", she said pointing at me.

She would provoke me and than act surprised when I got mad.

I know what you mean about school counsellors. Not one of my counsellors had training in psychology. They were just repurposed teachers. I had one school counsellor who proposed a most unimaginative solution to my severe anxiety. "Stop having anxiety" he said. Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that :roll:

My school guidance counsellor said that I should take a dance class to help with my autism. She was not that bright and she was very out of touch with reality. This woman was supposed to be the ESE guidance counsellor. How was a dance class going to do anything for my autism? I can't dance and I don't want to.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 9:27 pm

Where do they get these screwballs? Do their recruiting in bars? A dance class? How is that supposed to help?

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 9:57 pm

ladyelaine wrote:

My school guidance counsellor said that I should take a dance class to help with my autism. She was not that bright and she was very out of touch with reality. This woman was supposed to be the ESE guidance counsellor. How was a dance class going to do anything for my autism? I can't dance and I don't want to.

Well, learning dance does improve executive functioning. Also, if you are a visual or musical learner, it can be a more productive way to engage in learning than being in a classroom. If you have coordination issues, practicing dance can improve those as well.

If none of those things apply to you, or your guidance counselor didn't explain the value of how dance could help, or you just don't like dance, then maybe it's not for you.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

1. Didn't like school, thought it was a waste of time.

2. Hated having to waste sparetime on homework, and more so the more home work we got and how long it took to do them.

3. Hated school even more as the school days got longer and I got even less sparetime.

4. Hated team work, cooperation and other projects we were supposed to do along with others.

5. From high school age I was distracted by any noise in the classroom if I had to focus.

6. Hated many subjects (maths, chemistry, physics, PE), disliked others like needlework, and vocational school's technical drawing. I wasn't good at them and I wasn't interested in them. Bored out of my mind.
I wasn't good at drawing, arts or woodwork either (but I didn't mind them much.

7. The remaining subjects I usually found uninteresting, but less bad than the above.

8. I didn't mind writing when I could write something that interested me, but so often, especially as I got older, the themes were boring.

9. Didn't get the help I needed in the subjects I was bad at.

10, Field trips. I always feared getting lost or forgotten /left behind, and it got worse as we got older and were expected to find our way home from different places I certainly hadn't been to before.

11. So much wasted time in school: so much we didn't need to know, and so many wasted days (field trips, sports days, Operasjon Dagsverk)

12. Never had a maths teacher who was able to teach me maths that was beyond my level (except for one, but he was just there for limited lessons)

13. I've had teachers in some subjects that knew less than me.

14. Hated my main teacher in one school for reasons I'm not getting into
I hated another teacher at same school because I enjoyed mock fighting with some boys in recess. Apparently not allowed for girls.
Both those "female dogs" make my stomach turn to this very day.

15. Having to hold it in, because there was no way I was going to that bathroom.

16. School as it is is not created for introverts. Expectation of being active in class is not compatible with my personality. I'm not an active participant (hand in the air, babbling answers to questions asked).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 12:55 am

It doesn't appear that Elaine's counselor thought dancing was going to help with executive functioning. Some counselors are air heads and joining a club or dancing fixes everything.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:01 am

Skilpadde wrote:

2. Hated having to waste sparetime on homework, and more so the more home work we got and how long it took to do them.

3. Hated school even more as the school days got longer and I got even less sparetime.

4. Hated team work, cooperation and other projects we were supposed to do along with others.

5. From high school age I was distracted by any noise in the classroom if I had to focus.

6. Hated many subjects (maths, chemistry, physics, PE), disliked others like needlework, and vocational school's technical drawing. I wasn't good at them and I wasn't interested in them. Bored out of my mind.

7. The remaining subjects I usually found uninteresting, but less bad than the above.

8. I didn't mind writing when I could write something that interested me, but so often, especially as I got older, the themes were boring.

10, Field trips. I always feared getting lost or forgotten /left behind, and it got worse as we got older and were expected to find our way home from different places I certainly hadn't been to before.

11. So much wasted time in school: so much we didn't need to know, and so many wasted days (field trips, sports days, Operasjon Dagsverk)

12. Never had a maths teacher who was able to teach me maths that was beyond my level (except for one, but he was just there for limited lessons)

I hated another teacher at same school because I enjoyed mock fighting with some boys in recess. Apparently not allowed for girls.

15. Having to hold it in, because there was no way I was going to that bathroom.

16. School as it is is not created for introverts. Expectation of being active in class is not compatible with my personality. I'm not an active participant (hand in the air, babbling answers to questions asked).

They never even explained to me why we needed those stupid "fun and interesting" group projects. I once asked someone and they said because my little mind needed to "develop" with others, and I needed to be kind and friendly to everyone. I then asked them why we need to be friendly to others who will just exploit us (most other students) and I got a detention for using "bad language".

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

I was never really an active participant in class either. I was usually content to just listen. I didn't like to draw attention to myself. I was an active participant in a couple of my high school classes because I was very interested in the subjects being taught in those classes and I really liked my teachers for those classes.

I hated group projects. I always one of the ones that the teachers had to put into a group because everyone else already had their minds made up about who they wanted to work with and I never had any friends in my classes. I hated getting stuck with people who either hogged up everything or didn't do hardly anything.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:21 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
They never even explained to me why we needed those stupid "fun and interesting" group projects. I once asked someone and they said because my little mind needed to "develop" with others, and I needed to be kind and friendly to everyone. I then asked them why we need to be friendly to others who will just exploit us (most other students) and I got a detention for using "bad language".

Not just group projects but projects in general. I think a lot of the projects in school are just makework. E.g. Why do we need to know what the major exports of Argentina are?

This is especially true in elementary school. High school has science and higher maths, which might be useful for your career. At least high school teaches practical skills some of the time. Elementary school has more makework projects. High school has fewer. Schools should spend less time on makework and more time on practical career skills.

The trouble is that school curriculums are designed by committee. The other problem is that the school curriculum is being increasingly enforced at a national level, leaving almost no room for good teachers to improvise or for students to focus on their studying their interests which might one day become the basis of their career. A couple of years ago I spoke to a teacher who said she was quite frustrated that she was forced to tow the national curriculum, which was a hodgepodge of different goals with no focus.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2017, 4:24 am

AceofPens wrote:
And that's not to mention the blasted science courses. I could rant for days about those. A real question from a test: "There were no dinosaurs on the Ark. True or False?" Anyone want to take a crack at that? The answer is false. Freaking false.

I'm interested in Earth History.

When I realized that the "Great Flood" and the "End of Atlantis" are one and the same and the Great Flood was ~11,500 years ago... and the last Dinosaurs roamed this planet Earth (there are other planets named "Earth") Millions of years ago, then I understand that...

No, there weren't any Dinosaurs aboard the Ark.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Dec 2017, 10:14 pm

Skewl s#cked for me cuz I have dyslexia & other learning issues. I hated homework because there were times I would work on it from shortly after I got home & had a snack till I went to bed minus the time I showered & ate supper & I still couldn't finish it. In all fairness thou it took me ALOT longer to read & write things than it does for most people thou so I'm sure the average kid would of finished & had time to relax awhile. I failed alot of tests but some of my learning issues were probably made worse by having a rare low vision disorder that wasn't diagnosed till my senior year of high-skewl. Before that the docs thought I was just being difficult because I didn't like wearing glasses. I didn't like em because they only helped alittle bit & made my close vision worse. I was also bullied alot too. Things got alot easier in the middle of 6th grade thou when I started going to a skewl for dyslexia. It didn't do high-skewl thou so had to switch skewls but the high-skewl I went to was better than the other skewls I went too except for the dyslexic skewl.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rogueone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm

I hated school for the following reasons

1) Assemblies, the worst experience was at a presentation night, I got some minor award but the girl before me got six so the auditorium erupted in applause early for her (you were supposed to wait until the entire group had gone up to applaud) then I went up and the auditorium was dead silent....you could hear a pin drop in that hall...it was humiliating and I wish I had told the teachers I wasn't going...ah well

2) Pretty much the entire of 9th grade for me.....the 9th grade sucked

3) Bullying of course

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

nick007 wrote:
Skewl s#cked for me cuz I have dyslexia & other learning issues. I hated homework because there were times I would work on it from shortly after I got home & had a snack till I went to bed minus the time I showered & ate supper & I still couldn't finish it. In all fairness thou it took me ALOT longer to read & write things than it does for most people thou so I'm sure the average kid would of finished & had time to relax awhile. I failed alot of tests but some of my learning issues were probably made worse by having a rare low vision disorder that wasn't diagnosed till my senior year of high-skewl. Before that the docs thought I was just being difficult because I didn't like wearing glasses. I didn't like em because they only helped alittle bit & made my close vision worse. I was also bullied alot too. Things got alot easier in the middle of 6th grade thou when I started going to a skewl for dyslexia. It didn't do high-skewl thou so had to switch skewls but the high-skewl I went to was better than the other skewls I went too except for the dyslexic skewl.

Most schools suck at working with students with disabilities. Schools just want to do the bare minimum for their students. My sister struggles with writing and math. It always took her forever to finish her homework and sometimes she wouldn't even finish it because she had too much. Her teachers were supposed to give her half the amount of homework that her classmates were assigned. Her teachers didn't always do that even though it was in her IEP.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 3:53 pm

rogueone wrote:
I hated school for the following reasons

1) Assemblies, the worst experience was at a presentation night, I got some minor award but the girl before me got six so the auditorium erupted in applause early for her (you were supposed to wait until the entire group had gone up to applaud) then I went up and the auditorium was dead silent....you could hear a pin drop in that hall...it was humiliating and I wish I had told the teachers I wasn't going...ah well

2) Pretty much the entire of 9th grade for me.....the 9th grade sucked

3) Bullying of course

I hated the awards assemblies especially the ones for middle school, the science fair, and the senior award ceremony in high school. I hated how the same few people always got most of the awards. My grades were just as good and my science fair projects were just as good. I worked just hard if not harder than the award hogs. It sucks that some people get tons of applause while others barely get any at all.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

Those awards are rigged in favor of kids from certain families.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 9:04 pm

I did pretty well in school. I never received any sort of "award," except one time in third grade (I still don't know why I received the award).