Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

05 Jun 2007, 10:12 pm

i dont care. i just dont want people to lie and say something i said that not true


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,134
Location: North Mirage, Pennsyltucky

06 Jun 2007, 3:32 am

Fogman wrote:
postpaleo wrote:
Fogman wrote:
I generally agree with this assessment. I found out that some Psych interviews that I did in 1995 when I was homeless after being burned by an employer was for SSDI compensation and backed out of it soon after becoming employed. -- I cannot sit around all day and do nothing and expect a handout.

Then again, there are also people who cannot work for any variety of reasons, they should be supported, but they should at least put effort into being financially autonomous via gainful employment.


Dude!! You paid your dues, that isn't a hand out, it's your money. It, well mine, doesn't stop you from doing something else. There is an upper limit on what you can make and still get your dues. It allows you more freedom for down time if you need it.


I may very well have paid my dues for it, however, one of the things that I cannot abide with is the fact that being on SSDI gives people other than myself a modicum of control over my life. The freedom that you talk about is entirely subjective. Ever made House payments with an SSDI Check? Have you ever been told by landlords that they do not accept Section 8 tenants?

The person who started this thread stated that he recieves $843 monthly from his SSDI allowance. Totalled, this is just barely over $10K yearly to essentially do nothing. This is below the national poverty level. In contrast, I have something to keep myself occupied most of the day with the added benefit that I earn over twice what SSDI pays out. --It's not much, but at the same time I can at least save cash to invest in myself and maybe get a better paying job

Also, factor in the army of caseworkers, social workers, and beaurocrats that work with people on SSDI easily make three time that amount, and you see where a lot of SSDI money goes. Not to the person in need of the cash on order to survive. --I am thankful of the fact that I have sucessfully eluded giving them another case to work on by opting out of the beaurocratic mess that SSDI actually is.

postpaleo wrote:
With that kind of attitude, when you retire, you can send me your check from the government, I like money.


According to what I was told, you would need that cash that I would be sending you. I was told that were I to go on SSDI and then later get off of it, that I would not only have to pay off the counciling charges from the doctors, as well as recieve a reduced SSI retirement payment as a result of having collected SSDI payments. --It sounded like a financial dead end that was not worth pursuing.


I actually agree with you on this stuff. I don't like it a bit that right now I can't work. All you say above is true, you've got the facts striaght. All I was trying to say is, it's your money it isn't some kind of dole. In tribal sense, we're only as strong as the weakest, by that I mean, people are wealth, not money. It is a social issue we are speaking of and I think those with an attidude of looking down, setting up laws, poor landlords the whole nine yards is a national disgrace. Homeless, god what a horrid thing to have it in this country. Hunger, there is no need for it here, but yet we still have soup kitchens, if we're lucky.


_________________
Just enjoy what you do, as best you can, and let the dog out once in a while.


postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,134
Location: North Mirage, Pennsyltucky

06 Jun 2007, 4:18 am

richardbenson wrote:
i get $847 a month, shure its not alot but steveK pays for it


You may or not, find over time things changing some what. As you have stated it isn't a lot. Age does tend to mellow things, not always, but you may in the future find places to fit in that can pay better. I do understand your happiness at this point. But there is a point where it does seem to come across as gloating.

As to SteveK, well, I've probably allowed a trigger of mine to go off. What should have been more of a political debate over a social issue has turned personal. I shouldn't have let it. He has some valid points as well.

We all pay for it in some form or fashion, that includes you.


_________________
Just enjoy what you do, as best you can, and let the dog out once in a while.


eblonk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Location: Mirror universe

06 Jun 2007, 4:58 am

Nobody owes you the money, nor the opposite. Owing is not a factor in this.
If we want a society that has some stability, we need to acknowledge that however we come to organize it, there will be people that cannot function in it. So they are cared for in a different manner.
In Europe, the Celts and other ancient peoples used to do that as an integral part of their society and beliefs. That ended when the Romans took over (not to mention what came piggybacking on their culture and held any social progress in a death lock for a thousand years and to this day still more or less chokes it - but lets not go there).

I can also imagine the counter reaction. When people work for money and pay taxes are confronted with someone that apparently feels it owed to him, well, it´s no fun having to be away from home for more time then you spend with family and friends. I spend more hours with colleagues at work then with my wife and kids, not counting the time spend commuting. And I hold an average 40 hours job. There is not a lot of empathy needed to have an idea of how people feel when they are essentially told ´haha, I take your money and you see less of those you love´.

That, of course, is not how it is. You are not owed any money and I don´t give it to you. What is going on here is the result of a system (or at least a trying to) that keeps society more stable by preventing people to fall by the wayside. If this is not taking care of, those people (including people that are jobless because work is not guaranteed in any system of economics, no matter how many times some naive types say that there is always work) would have to resort to other ways of feeding themselves. The less a country takes care of this, the more problems they will have in that area.


_________________
"though the fire in our lungs is celestial
our delivery falls flat."
Incoherence - Peter Hammill


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

06 Jun 2007, 7:00 am

postpaleo wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
i get $847 a month, shure its not alot but steveK pays for it


You may or not, find over time things changing some what. As you have stated it isn't a lot. Age does tend to mellow things, not always, but you may in the future find places to fit in that can pay better. I do understand your happiness at this point. But there is a point where it does seem to come across as gloating.

As to SteveK, well, I've probably allowed a trigger of mine to go off. What should have been more of a political debate over a social issue has turned personal. I shouldn't have let it. He has some valid points as well.

We all pay for it in some form or fashion, that includes you.


You have THAT right. The government can't afford it, so THEY raise taxes and steal MORE! The people they steal from DO notice it and sooner or later may slow down work, or ask for a raise. That increases costs, and their bosses have to raise prices. If their bosses happen to run transit, it affects the price of nearly EVERYTHING! Even phone companies and internet companies run from HOME need things delivered.(Even if just the bread that is delivered to the store they walk to.). That process is true no matter who is affected.

THAT is called inflation. It is the reason why Richard bensen is getting paid SO MUCH that early in this century he could have bought a VERY nice home(FOR CASH), a very nice LUXURY car(FOR CASH), gourmet meals for OVER A YEAR, and STILL had money to put in the bank, even if he didn't get another penny, and yet he couldn't do ANY of that today(Except maybe the meals). It is the reason why, in high school, I could mail a letter and get a coke and a candybar for $.63 and today would be lucky if I could even mail a letter!

Eventually, the system has to break. Even the DEMOCRATS are starting to say that. What makes this so insidious is that the beneficiaries don't realize the cost, and the politicians DON'T CARE! They have a SPECIAL retirement fund JUST FOR THEM, and figure future politicians will just keep raising rates, etc... Still, if everything was so safe, or if they even THOUGHT so, why do they have that special fund?

You probably figured out I am more closely aligned with the republicans. HEY, Reagan raised supreme court judge wages JUST BEFORE he left office. Ever wonder why???? I mean if he REALLY wanted to do that, why didn't he do that earlier? Well, it turns out you CAN'T simply increase their income. It is INDEXED! He raised it for higher level politicians, and HE has HIS income raised. So WHY did he do that? I mean he probably only saw like one check. Well, that raised HIS share of that special fund, so his pension was higher for the rest of his life! I believe his wife will continue to get it for hers!

HEY, Clinton did a lot of similar things, and some worse, so don't think the democrats are clean.

Steve