Too many extra curricular activities for kids

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

I mostly go on Facebook to talk to my best friends and follow my favorite TV shows.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to get so bored that I would create creative (read not tasty) food concoctions.

I once had corn flakes with orange drink as the milk.....yuck!

I tried to make a cigar using coffee granules. Only the paper burnt properly and the hot coffee stung my air pipe. :D
The guitar I made out of plywood, the scones I made using melted ice cream instead of milk and all the things I set fire to. :D Kids don't get to have any real fun anymore, it's all organised for them.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 11:40 pm

Kids' lives are overly structured. Kids never get to have an entire afternoon of playing outside with siblings and neighbor kids. Parents are too busy setting up playdates and dragging their kids to one activity after another. There are parents who will only let their kids play with their friends' kids. Parents think they have to be friends with their kids' friends' parents.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 1:29 am

ladyelaine wrote:
Kids' lives are overly structured. Kids never get to have an entire afternoon of playing outside with siblings and neighbor kids. Parents are too busy setting up playdates and dragging their kids to one activity after another. There are parents who will only let their kids play with their friends' kids. Parents think they have to be friends with their kids' friends' parents.

If parents are so overworked where do they find the time to drag their kids around?

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:19 am

They find the time......and than b***h about being so busy. My response to people like that is..."duh, you chose all these activities so don't tell me how hard it is."

Facebook really sucks as it gives NTs yet another platform to be cruel to each other and us.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 7:06 am

My experience is that the extracurricular activities, like music and sports, are a lot less stressful than the after school activities. It is very obvious that the after school activities very easily turn into a sort of holding pen for kids, with too few adults and no opportunity to relax. I see a lot of kids who are just stressed out and missing their parents desperately, and who feel too much pressure to conform, because they have no escape.

The kids who have the opportunity to go home after school and eat, play a little on their own and then play with maybe one or two friends, are a lot less stressed out. This also means that they can do their homework right after school instead of waiting until after dinner when they are tired.

Even NT kids find it hard to spend a full working day with a large group of people.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 3:01 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
They find the time......and than b***h about being so busy. My response to people like that is..."duh, you chose all these activities so don't tell me how hard it is."

Facebook really sucks as it gives NTs yet another platform to be cruel to each other and us.

So not only do these parents exhaust their kids, they exhaust themselves.

I agree that it's cruel but to succeed in the NT's world these kids have to get used to exhausting 10 or 12 hour days.

What these kids are subjected to buy their parents is no less than their boss will expect of them.

They need to get used to working while exhausted so they can work their way through college. After that they need to be used to exhaustion for the careers. There are plenty of careers where 12 hour days are the norm.

It's cruel to make kids go through these long gruelling days but no more cruel than the rest of the rest of the world will be to them. It sets the standard of hectic exhaustion that will continue until they reach retirement.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:52 pm

underwater wrote:
My experience is that the extracurricular activities, like music and sports, are a lot less stressful than the after school activities. It is very obvious that the after school activities very easily turn into a sort of holding pen for kids, with too few adults and no opportunity to relax. I see a lot of kids who are just stressed out and missing their parents desperately, and who feel too much pressure to conform, because they have no escape.

The kids who have the opportunity to go home after school and eat, play a little on their own and then play with maybe one or two friends, are a lot less stressed out. This also means that they can do their homework right after school instead of waiting until after dinner when they are tired.

Even NT kids find it hard to spend a full working day with a large group of people.

The NT kids at my work are exhausted by the time they get to after school care. They take their exhaustion on each other and the teachers.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2017, 9:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I once had corn flakes with orange drink as the milk.....yuck!

I did that too! I have a psychological aversion to milk (they used to make us drink it at school , and it made me feel sick every day), and I experimented with alternative liquids on the cornflakes, because they are a bit dry just by themselves. Orange juice was one of the better ones that I tried. I tried them with beer and that wasn't a great idea, I found. I also tried with Irn Bru (probably not known outside Scotland), and that was better than beer, but not as good as orange juice. In the end I concluded that plain, dry cornflakes was the best option.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran