Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sola_Puella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

Recently, I've been seeing a psychiatrist for suspected mental health problems. However their reply was surprising as they thought I may have a mild form of autism. Why exactly? I mentioned my maladaptive daydreaming problem as well as others and I was wondering if it's entirely possible that I could have aspergers?

After that session I thought that there was no way I could have autism, but after researching aspergers and finding out it's different in girls, it has become a possibility. But I'm still unsure. I know that not everyone on here is a qualified doctor to address this, but I would like to know if any women with aspergers think that my mental health problems are a result of aspergers.

Here's some basic things about me. Ever since I was little I have been fascinated by Greek Mythology/Ancient Greece, today it has evolved into Classics but the passion is still there. Could this be a special interest? As well as I've always had maladaptive daydreaming. They used to be about fantasy worlds/films etc but today I've got two worlds - Classics and an idealised me. I think I have depersonalisation/derealisation as sometimes I don't recognise myself or other people, and I feel really out of place, like me and the world doesn't exist. I'm also confused about my identity, like it's fragmented and I have difficulty piecing it together, I feel like lots of different people. I don't know if this is just a teen angst thing??? And I've always felt different from everyone else, even my own family. I do suffer from a poor self-esteem. However, I learned that girls with aspergers may do better socially as they've learned and copied interaction, and that they have only a few close friends etc I'm really confused as I've got around 10 friends, but only one or 2 close friends. I'm better socially. But I only got 10 friends thanks to my close friend. In the summer, I was alone and I had no friends, going to school was painful. I remember I went to this theatre group and I felt like going to a corner to cry - I wasn't myself, I was socially awful. Furthermore, I've read online articles saying that girls with aspergers may learn how to use eye contact etc. I feel like this is somewhat true as I remember searching a few years ago how to talk with people better and this article said eye contact was important. Also I get overwhelmed in crowds :? but I want to go out? I don't have a strict routine etc.

Sorry for a long paragraph :lol: And I've met people in real life that have autism/aspergers and they all share similar traits e.g they're not socially the best. But, some are nice to be around whilst others they're awkward/annoying. There's a boy who really likes pokemon and there's a girl who likes anime and books. I don't mean any offence :oops: I think why I'm uncertain about aspergers is because I've met people with it and I don't really see me in them. And my brother (3) is also suspected of autism. All honesty, I think I could have anything really, I'm just unsure about aspergers as I've got some signs, but those signs could be applied to a lot of people I guess?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 5:58 pm

I don't know how excessive daydreaming has much to do with Asperger's, but I'm not a doctor or psychologist so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think it has to do more with a schizoid personality though.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm

I am a young female with diagnosed ASD Level 1 (like Asperger's Syndrome). I also feel like many different people, different versions of me (or used to, this is resolving now). However, I don't know if this is because of my ASD or because of my upbringing, or because it's just how I am. You can send me a private message if you want to talk more.

I also have poor self esteem (because of my parents' treatment of me, not because of bullying or anything). I have learned to try to copy the way others interact, and for some reason have not really been bullied for my continuing social inadequacies.

Not saying you have or don't have ASD, just relating to some of your experiences, I suppose.

fruitloop42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2017, 6:49 pm

I also posted a thread a few weeks ago listing some of the traits that have caused me problems in life and questioning whether I might be autistic. The advice I got was to continue reading around on the forum and see how much I identify with some of the issues people post about etc and that's what I've been doing since. It's been helpful. I've also been listening to youtube videos and presentations by women with autism - Sarah Hendrickx is one...she was working in the field for years before she realised she's autistic herself so her story is really interesting.

I think I learned to make eye contact - I got into trouble for not looking at people when I was talking to them as a child and teenager so I learned to look people in the eye because I was told to. I also think I learned social skills by watching other people. I've read accounts of autistic women sometimes feeling like actresses almost, kind of playing a part to try and fit in. I didn't realise how much this was true for me until I started reading about it, listening to other peoples' stories and thinking about my life, as well as reading my old diaries. I also do the maladaptive daydreaming thing - I don't know how it's linked to autism but I have read other threads about maladaptive daydreaming on the forum. So I think I'm in a similar position to you - trying to work out how the traits apply to me and how this might have driven problems I have in life. For me, the more I read on this forum and elsewhere online, the more weird things from my life seem to slot into place and make sense for me so maybe the same will be true for you too - or maybe you will get the feeling it doesn't really fit (which is the way I felt when I researched other mental health labels).

So yeah I think I can also relate to some of your experiences and more reading is helping me.