I´m over 30 years old and play SIMS 3, anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2017, 10:38 am

I just have to ask:

Does anyone else over age 30 play SIMS 3 :?: (and yes, I know about Sims 4 but I don´t think it was so funny actually)

I feel like a child doing this, I mean, my niece who is 10 playing this as well and it´s a bit like playing with dolls but on the computer. But it´s relaxing in some weird kind of way even if I feel a bit ashamed sitting here playing with "dolls" with their stupid sounds and movements :)

Are you over 30 and play the Sims or do you like other games that also are a bit childish?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if sims discussion forums are populated by adults you age and older.

I play lotro which I know is played by adults 30 and over and a chunk of that is getting outfits for you characters and buying and decorating houses etc.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

Playing the Sims games on a PC is NOT childish. Why do Aspies think everything they like is childish? I think the Sims is age-acceptable. It's like an adult version of playing with toys. I even got my boyfriend into it, and he's 20 years older than me, and he says some of the blokes at his work like it too.
My cousin's boyfriend has an xbox and plays all sorts of things on it, one of them being a zoo tycoon game. He's nearly 40.

Also many adults play games like candy crush on their phones and share their scores on Facebook. So playing digital games is socially acceptable for adults these days.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2017, 4:20 pm

I'm 55 and still play Sims3 on my PC, it's like having a dollhouse to play with. I also do a lot of cheating with money.

My Sims are always complaining that I never let them have fun. They show me in their yelling bubbles about swimming and having a party, lol...I'm no fun at all.

Skvurb
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2017, 6:14 pm

I bought the Star wars jedi challenges VR headset with a light saber controller. I was embarrassed in the store, but laughed with the clerk about it. Then another clerk showed up and told me he wanted to buy the $2000 Lego millenium falcon which made me feel better about myself. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something out of the norm for your age group. Just do you.
If I previously wasn't so desperate in trying to emulate others to be liked, I would be much better off right now. It's easy to alienate people when the facade breaks and you are completely out of energy.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2017, 6:14 am

Omniel wrote:
I'm 55 and still play Sims3 on my PC, it's like having a dollhouse to play with. I also do a lot of cheating with money.

My Sims are always complaining that I never let them have fun. They show me in their yelling bubbles about swimming and having a party, lol...I'm no fun at all.

Lol that's same with my sims. They just work hard, no relationships and never have fun

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 10:07 am

Joe90 wrote:
Playing the Sims games on a PC is NOT childish. Why do Aspies think everything they like is childish?

Self esteem issues? Because they have been told too many times that it's childish to like the things they do?

Sims 3? Nah, too young for that; I'm still playing Sims 2. :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 10:15 am

I'm not "advanced" enough to play SIMS LOL

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2017, 5:03 pm

I LOVE SIMS 3!! !! I am 23 so not over 30, but often people make joke about me still playing it.

I built myself a gaming PC so I could run sims 3 with all the expansion packs and 100's of mods, and have spent days making houses for my sims :3 its so much fun! I am not so much into playing the main game, but if I do I normally set up sets of rules I need to follow like: No money cheats, cannot have children until an adult, all generations must stay in the same house and modify it to fit their own personalities etc. Endless fun! :D

Cherina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2017, 9:27 pm

I don't play it, but would love to and I'm 41, I don't see it as anymore childish as any other computer or pc game. I watch my daughter play and I think it's great fun.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2017, 6:38 am

alpacka wrote:
Omniel wrote:

Lol that's same with my sims. They just work hard, no relationships and never have fun

If I'm going to be honest, I never let them have parties because there are too many people and things to keep track of (like who's coming, are they having fun), it's a chore. Nose to the grindstone!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 7:38 am

I do actually know a lot of NT adults who play the Sims and other PC games, and it feels socially acceptable.

I reckon the USA has different social rules than in the UK. In the UK, digital games are acceptable for adults, and adults even play Nintendos and PS3. In the USA people seem to be in such a hurry to grow up and not use their creativity or imaginations any more, when in fact being creative and using imagination as entertainment doesn't have to be for children.

Skvurb
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2017, 1:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Being creative and using imagination as entertainment doesn't have to be for children

I wish more people realized this. It seems pretty petty to be condescending towards someone who enjoys other interests than yourself. I'd argue that enjoying American football isn't more intellectually stimulating than playing video games (just an example, don't lynch me football fans).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 2:14 pm

The game, and most other Sims games, is rated T for Teens, meaning it's suitable for teenagers and OLDER people to play it. Saying adults are too old to be playing a T-rated game (or even an E-rated one) is like saying only 13-year-olds should be watching a PG-13 rated movie. :roll:

I'm 43 and I've been playing the Sims 2-4 since I was in my 30's and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't get why people realize this. In fact, it seems like many adults enjoy and play E-rated games like Mario or even Pokemon while the kiddies are playing the M-rated games full of graphic violence and sex and cursing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 2:24 pm

I love how one of the warnings on the back of cases for The Sims franchise says "mature sexual themes", which makes it sound more extreme than it actually is. Yes, adult Sims can have sex, but it's referred to as "woohoo" and always done in a comically very discreet fashion e.g. under bed covers, in bushes, under water in hot tubs, hearing only giggling showing only hearts and fireworks from the object the Sims are concealed by. :lol:

Of course, same-sex relations aren't out of the question. But to give it an M-rating or even ban the game because of it is stupid.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2017, 3:50 pm

Omniel wrote:
alpacka wrote:
Omniel wrote:

If I'm going to be honest, I never let them have parties because there are too many people and things to keep track of (like who's coming, are they having fun), it's a chore. Nose to the grindstone!

I agree. They are also very demanding guests telling your party is boring and want you to be the entertainment all the night. When my sim is invited to parties I tend to do forbidden things like take a shower or a sleep in their bed.