To Malcolm_Scipio: A Challenge from an NT

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Evilmonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2007, 7:50 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
He is young and still enamored by the idea of "IQ" as was I at his age. IQ scores shouldn't be used for childish pissing contests, I agree, but he is only 3 years older than the age you use for simile. It is so convenient and clear! One score that sets into stone an individual's intelligence as compared to others! It is easy to forget that this score is completely irrelevant if that individual lacks the ability to execute or the wisdom to know when.

I do agree with you lowfreq50 but you may not be aware that I am 15 too with an IQ of 109...thats right, a 41 IQ difference here.

It is fact that most geniuses were in some way weird or quirky often showing signs of AS and other mental conditions that we may look upon as disabilities, so I'd say most normal people aren't geniuses (not meaning all NT people here, the average 'normal person').

Genius does seem to come hand in hand with eccentricity and this guy looks pretty norm yet he just challenged someone here to a 'genius competition' justifying it with a flashy number, what gets me most though is his means to compete (IMO) is quite retarded.

dumb_n00b wrote:
including logic, creative writing, musical, and art sections on given themes

You may present a great ability to do work which may convince some you are very talented but in truth this 'talent' may only exist in a school system, It's artificial genius.

Basically what I'm getting at is:
[quote"Mitch8817"]Get your pathetic self-esteem boosts elsewhere, buddy. This is a community, not a tournament[/quote]

(felt i should submit this post this since it was written last night and internet went out :evil: )

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:23 pm

beautifulspam wrote:
To SteveK: Noob's position is that genius and talent are not exclusive to, primarily found in, or even more likely in ASers than they are in NTs. In fact, I've seen some studies showing that, while ASers have a higher average IQ because of the way the diagnostic criteria are structured, actual genius is more common in NTs than it is in ASers. REALLY smart people tend to get the whole package: emotional stability, musical talent, mathematical prowess, creativity, and so on.

OH, I KNOW that is his STATED position! And such things AREN'T exclusive to non NTs. Did anyone claim they were? And NOPE! Actual genione is NOT more common in NTs! It CAN'T be! If 100% of AS people had a 200 IQ, it wouldn't change the average IQ much, and is POSSIBLE! Various sources say a 120+ IQ in AS people is relatively common. The average NT could NEVER have a 120 IQ, because the scale would keep moving up accordingly.(With 50% NTs at 120IQ, the average IQ of remaining groups would be 80!) SO, you see, your theory is very likely just WRONG.

really smart people get the whole package? WOW, I don't think I have heard of anyone having all that! Did beethoven? Leonardo da vinci? Einstein? And I just WISH you were right that NTs were so smart and had all those things. If they did, this world would be a PARADISE! It ISN'T! And why are the schools so bad!?!?!?

Steve

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:41 pm

dumb_n00b wrote:
I've noticed in Malcolm_Scipio's posts that he seems to believe that every genius ever, from Beethoven to Michelangelo, was autistic. There is no evidence for most of these "cases". He also seems to think that AS people are inherently more prone to genius than us NTs, and that all NTs are flimsy, emotional social butterflies. This chauvinistic point of view bothers me, and I think that people who need to rely on the supposed genius of a group, such as white people or autistics, are really masking their own insecurity with their intelligence.

If any forum members would kindly volunteer to arrange a "battle of wits" between my very normal self and Malcolm_Scipio, including logic, creative writing, musical, and art sections on given themes, we shall see whether Malcolm is the savant his supposedly autistic heroes were.

I am 15 years old and am a freshman in high school. I speak five languages and have an IQ of 150. I am completely neurotypical. Ban me if you like, but I am not attempting to troll the autism community, whom I respect, but rather to challenge the chauvinism which I see on this board.

since you're 15 and have an IQ of 150...

you'll learn someday that sometimes, it's nice to just let people have a little piece of something... that for them, is maybe the best semblance of what they'll never have....

there are logical and illogical people on all ends of the spectrum... that you have made such an astute observation shows that you have logic...

so do you consider your own challance, not chauvanistic? if not moreso?

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2007, 12:04 am

Quote:
OH, I KNOW that is his STATED position! And such things AREN'T exclusive to non NTs. Did anyone claim they were? And NOPE! Actual genione is NOT more common in NTs! It CAN'T be! If 100% of AS people had a 200 IQ, it wouldn't change the average IQ much, and is POSSIBLE! Various sources say a 120+ IQ in AS people is relatively common. The average NT could NEVER have a 120 IQ, because the scale would keep moving up accordingly.(With 50% NTs at 120IQ, the average IQ of remaining groups would be 80!) SO, you see, your theory is very likely just WRONG.

really smart people get the whole package? WOW, I don't think I have heard of anyone having all that! Did beethoven? Leonardo da vinci? Einstein? And I just WISH you were right that NTs were so smart and had all those things. If they did, this world would be a PARADISE! It ISN'T! And why are the schools so bad!?!?!?

That was just incoherent. If you rewrite it so that it looks something like a line of reasoning it might be worthwhile to respond.

mariag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2007, 6:40 am

Litguy wrote:
Perhaps you should post on www.mensa.org. They measure their lives by their IQs.

Mind you, my bestfriends brother is on "mensa" and he told me he just found out he is AS and apparently there are loads of ppl on mensa who are AS too!. Anyway, that´s what he said....

Adios
peace out

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 6:52 am

mariag wrote:
Mind you, my bestfriends brother is on "mensa" and he told me he just found out he is AS and apparently there are loads of ppl on mensa who are AS too!. Anyway, that´s what he said....
I have no doubt. Aspies disproportionately have high IQs. But we don't tend to make them the entire measure of our lives.

I was not trying to criticize Mensa, per se. Rather the view of the poster.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2007, 7:44 am

dumb_n00b wrote:
I've noticed in Malcolm_Scipio's posts that he seems to believe that every genius ever, from Beethoven to Michelangelo, was autistic.

It can't be simply because someone is categorized in other ways. John Nash was schizophrenic, for example. Van Gogh instead was bipolar. I do think most geniuses had their issues, though.
Quote:
There is no evidence for most of these "cases".

There wasn't a diagnosis at the time, so it is mostly speculatory. There are stories circulating about these men being autistics like there are stories about them doing all kinds of things. Like Newton inventing the law of gravity when an apple fell on his head. People like to gossip even about the dead.
Quote:
This chauvinistic point of view bothers me, and I think that people who need to rely on the supposed genius of a group, such as white people or autistics, are really masking their own insecurity with their intelligence.

I agree with you that chauvinism is gross and I do not endorse such point of view, although it must be noted that it is likely that some geniuses were autistics simply by the law of big numbers. Just how much of them is doubtful.
Quote:
I am 15 years old and am a freshman in high school. I speak five languages and have an IQ of 150.

You see, you too are masking your own insecurity with you intelligence. By the way, speaking a lot of languages does not equate intelligence. Intelligence in the classical sense is usually brought down to an ability to systemize and see the patterns in things, that is the degree and speed in understanding. Only recently the linguistical ability has been seen as a form of intelligence.

Now, if they were programmation languages, maybe you would have impressed someone...