Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 7:11 pm

I just wanna know what that type of autism is.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 7:20 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
I just wanna know what that type of autism is.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what it said:
PDD not otherwise specified or PDD-NOS is a pervasive developmental disorder.
PDD-NOS is a diagnosis for people who are well-described by the "PDD" label, but who don't line up well with the other four PDD diagnoses. It is usually milder than autism, with some symptoms present, and others absent. Usually, the issues focus more on social interaction.

It gave a website that includes PDD-NOS, along with other diagnoses on the spectrum:
http://www.spectrumhaven.com/
I have no idea if it's a good site or not.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 7:58 pm

think in practical terms:

it's what you are if you dont exactly meet enough criteria for AS or HFA.... or have an inconsistant mix of criteria and they dont know what to do with you... yet you are def on the spectrum.......

hence your pervasiveness to fit into their little DX box-like-system

(square peg in the round hole)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Rocketv8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2007, 11:37 pm

The rules/criteria for Asperger's, autism, and PDD overlap a bit. Sometimes someone can technically qualify for more than one diagnosis so doctors need a way to separate the different subclasses.

For example, a big difference between PDD and Asperger's is that if there was any speech delay during childhood, Asperger's is automatically ruled out. There can be other subtle differences, but basically they are just labels.

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 1:09 am

Rocketv8 wrote:

For example, a big difference between PDD and Asperger's is that if there was any speech delay during childhood, Asperger's is automatically ruled out.

This was why my latest DX was PDD-NOS rather than AS. I dislike the label PDD-NOS... makes me feel like a misfit among misfits :x

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2007, 3:41 pm

I qualify as PDD-NOS, because of delayed speech and motor development. I do not feel
like a misfit among misfits.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:37 pm

My new psychiatrist says I might have PDD NOS

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:40 pm

That could be true, Starbuline. I was watching The View one day and I learned that one psychiatrist defined PDD-NOS as a sugar-coated term for Autism.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:50 pm

Yoshie777 wrote:
That could be true, Starbuline. I was watching The View one day and I learned that one psychiatrist defined PDD-NOS as a sugar-coated term for Autism.

You know thats funny you say that, because when I first got the dx of PDD-NOS, thats exactly what my psychiatrist said. She also explained that PDD-NOS is the exact same thing as Aspergers just with some delay instead. So why couldn't they just say Aspergers with delay, AS with Delay, instead of PDD-NOS. I don't understand HFA either, I don't see a big difference between HFA and AS either, just delay issues, Idk thats just my opinion!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:19 pm

Yoshie777 wrote:

Sugar-coated Autism?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:20 pm

I want pizza flavoured autism.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:37 pm

Sugar coated, indeed. Whatever label, dealing with it sure hasn't been sweet. Mine should have come in chocolate.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:04 pm

Rocketv8 wrote:
For example, a big difference between PDD and Asperger's is that if there was any speech delay during childhood, Asperger's is automatically ruled out. There can be other subtle differences, but basically they are just labels.

That means that I might have PDD-NOS instead of AS, because I was delayed in development and speech, but how much time the delay has to be in order to fit in either of those?