Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:07 pm

That people are so darn afraid of anything/anyone different never ceases to amaze me. You were just a five year-old and five-year olds tend to do strange things, anyway. Why would your dad have that negative of a reaction? :(

I've never had imaginary friends, per se, unless you count Jesus and guardian angels before I deconverted from Christianity. I guess they filled the role of having someone to talk to when I was lonely.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 11:18 pm

I used to have imaginary friends, still do >.> However now I act them out while I run/play role playing games :) (Yes, I'm 21 and have imaginary friends. Silly isn't it? :))

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 11:49 pm

My 5 year old son has an imaginary friend named Roger. He lives in the vents in our floorboards, and my son describes him in detail.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 3:35 am

I had an imaginary dog... It kept barking in church and Mom banned it...

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 3:54 am

BugsMom wrote:
My 5 year old son has an imaginary friend named Roger. He lives in the vents in our floorboards, and my son describes him in detail.

LOL That is so creepy.

When I was a kid- I don't remember how old, but I was in elementary school- I had seventeen imaginary friends and they were all named Jenny. ...I was a lonely kid. haha. I guess I figured my problems would be solved if I had a lot of friends.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2007, 7:59 am

Shadowcat wrote:
Why is it assumed that children with Autism/Asperger Syndrome don't play Pretend when they are children?

I seem to be the only one here who didn't like to do it. I don't like even roleplaying. They best I could pretend is that toys I built with Lego were the official toys you could buy. On one hand I found it "girly" to play pretend, on the other hand maybe my schizophrenic father freaked me out with his hallucinations (I lived with a person who asked me if I could hear voices calling him too. That makes having someone only you can see/hear rather frigthening).

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2007, 8:12 am

I remember sticking my head into the corner of the settee and imagining visiting mrs tiggiwinkle from the beatrix potter books. She'd cook me stuff and we'd chat. Nobody seemed to notice. I also used to pretend that I had kids from school come to my house (I wasn't allowed friends around) and sometimes it would be so vivid that I'd forget it wasn't real. Luckily I never said anything crazy at school about this (like "hey didn't we have a great time yesterday!") :-)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 8:18 am

Murdal wrote:
I used to have imaginary friends, still do >.> However now I act them out while I run/play role playing games :) (Yes, I'm 21 and have imaginary friends. Silly isn't it? :))

"Of course I have multiple personalities. I'm a gamer!"

- T-shirt at cafepress.com

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 8:46 am

I would have though this sort of role playing/delusions are actually quite characteristic of AS. i often act out senarious in my head.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 9:09 am

Quote:
Yesterday he told me they need imaginary booster seats for the car, one for each of them-I had to draw the line, lol. Sheesh, he has 5-6 imaginary friends, no way I could fit all those booster seats into my car. He's been on the look-out for imaginary cops that might pull us over and see his imaginary friends out of the booster seats, lol.

Love it. :lol: :lol:

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 9:14 am

i had imaginary friends until i was 25 years old. Then i killed them all. It was a bad move but seemed like a good idea at the time.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2007, 9:15 am

I can't remember ever having an imaginary friend. I do know that I talked to things, but it was more of talking to myself.
I can recall playing pretend and make believe. Mostly we played house, school, and store. Yeah I am strange, I did actual homework for fun out of old schoolbooks. I also remember playing lava. It was a game where you couldn't touch the floor or you would burn up in the lava. So we would jump around on the couch and chair to cross the room. I also remember getting upset playing cops and robbers because I felt the others were cheating by not dying when they got shot. I guess even then I needed structured rules to play.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 9:36 am

kclark wrote:
I can't remember ever having an imaginary friend. I do know that I talked to things, but it was more of talking to myself.
I can recall playing pretend and make believe. Mostly we played house, school, and store. Yeah I am strange, I did actual homework for fun out of old schoolbooks. I also remember playing lava. It was a game where you couldn't touch the floor or you would burn up in the lava. So we would jump around on the couch and chair to cross the room. I also remember getting upset playing cops and robbers because I felt the others were cheating by not dying when they got shot. I guess even then I needed structured rules to play.

My son is a lot like that, and I was as well when I was younger. I watch my son play with the neighbor kids, and it seems like it is a task for him rather than anything enjoyable, but he really does enjoy it for some reason. He is ALWAYS coming to me to tell me what they are doing, and how they aren't following the rules, I have to remind him a lot that they have their own imaginations as well, and that it's okay if they don't always follow the rules. But he does have a LOT of imaginary friends-2 days ago he discovered a new coping skill when upset-he curled into a ball and rocked back and forth, counted to 100 and said the ABC's a few times. Afterwards, he shared this with me, very excited that he calmed hisself down and didn't need me to hold him to do it, and then he informed me that we have 100 imaginary friends now (all numbers, lol), and I will be needing to make 100 imaginary plates for dinner every night :P

fishie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2007, 10:10 am

Murdal wrote:

22, same here. I don't spend nearly as much time with them as I once did, since I work a lot, go to school, and spend the rest of my time awake with my boyfriend. From the ages of 3 to 21 or so I spent more time with my imaginary friends than with real people. Real people make me anxious and let me down. My imaginary friends did too sometimes, but they were a much better deal than the uncertainty of dealing with real people. The only friends I had during that period of time were the ones I made up. Even when I tried to leave them, I couldn't. They'd always come back as long as I have enough time alone.

PBNJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2007, 10:43 am

Apparently mom says I had plenty of imaginary friends, and took to talking about myself to alot of my toys. I distinctly remember being sure that there was a girl trapped in our sofa, so I sometimes reached my arms deep inside the sofa to reach out to her. Occasionally I could feel her presence and I was sure she was reaching out to me too. Over the years, her presence kind of diminished.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Between ages 4-8 I talked to rocks alot, arranging them in special patterns, hiding them in my pocket and storing them in secret places so they'd be comfortable, things like that.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:53 am

I always did pretend games when I was a kid. When I was a kid I liked Doctor Who and I used to make out that I was the Doctor. The doorsteps outside my garden was the TARDIS. and Star Trek I used to take my chair outside and sit in the middle of the lawn and pretended I was the Captain of the Enterprise.