Memories ...... anyone else share my problem ??

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:12 pm

I have a VERY poor memory ...... short/long .... audio/visual ....... all very poor .

I did a test a few years ago which said that my weakest area of memory is AUDIO and that I was working at about 14 % compared to the normal 95 % or whatever...

Anyway my PROBLEM is that I don't seem to have a TIMELINE ....it's hard to explain but I have memories from holidays over the last 20 years or so but they all seem as FRESH as each other ......I couldn't put them in any sort of order ... sorry I am having trouble explaining this but maybe someone else shares this problem and can explain it better...... that's what I ususally find happens in this forum ! ! :)

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2007, 6:18 pm

To some extent I think I can relate. There are times that I can remember things (and even details) from years back but there are just somethings that slip right out of mind. The funniest part is that the least important stuff I tend to retain for the most part but the important stuff tends to slip out unless if I keep reminding myself or thinking about it. These days with the stress on the job and etc I tend to forget a lot.

AspieBrother
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2007, 6:21 pm

I can relate to that. Recently I spent a few months back in the home I grew up in. One of the things we did was to organize all of the photos from the various years of Christmas parties we used to hold at my parent's house.

For the life of me - I couldn't organize them to save my life. I remember Christmas parties - and I remember everyone being there - but for the life of me - they all just kind of blend together. It was only by picking out people and seeing what they were wearing that particular year - and rough approximation of guesses of my own age/etc were we able to sort it out year to year.

But honestly - if it weren't for the fact that mom had labeled the odd picture here and there with the year - I would only have rough guesses. "I look about 12 there...so I'm guessing 82" "I look about 13 there, so I'm guessing 83" - ya know?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:22 pm

I can memorise things easily, but in every other way my memory is terrible. I forget where I put my glasses 30 seconds after I put them there. I can't remember much really.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:23 pm

I also have a bad memory, i'm only 28 and yet have very few clear memories of my childhood. I also need to write down everything i want to do in a day or i will forget most of it and get nothing done. Memory loss can be attributed to a lack of certain vitamins and minerals, although i can't remember which ones. :oops: I also find it difficult to learn new things as it does not stay in my memory long enough.

:cry:

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:25 pm

My memory is excelent though there are some things I wish that I wouldn't remember.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:31 pm

My memory USED to be very good. I could tell you the year, and perhaps the month, and where I learned something, etc... TODAY, like you, I have no real time line. LUCKILY, I can tell by the propinquity of things about when. STILL, there are some memories that seem out of place. LUCKILY, I know that most were before 5, and some were probably before 2.

Steve

AspieBrother
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2007, 6:36 pm

SteveK wrote:
My memory USED to be very good. I could tell you the year, and perhaps the month, and where I learned something, etc... TODAY, like you, I have no real time line. LUCKILY, I can tell by the propinquity of things about when. STILL, there are some memories that seem out of place. LUCKILY, I know that most were before 5, and some were probably before 2.

Steve

Propinquity! Good word! Haven't heard that one in a long time. lol

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:41 pm

AspieBrother wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

Propinquity! Good word! Haven't heard that one in a long time. lol

Well HEY, it fits, gets every idea across, and is short. And it sounds more aspieish. :lol:

Steve

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 7:01 pm

My short term memory is bad, but my long term is great. I forget minor details and remember everything of relevance to me. I have a great photographic memory for things, I am always told that I am very observant but I think I just pay more attention than others.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 7:34 pm

I've got a terrible memory. Especially just for facts and such. Learning a language is very difficult for me.

If I can establish connections, then my memory is better. I still forget details, and need to reassure myself a lot... but my level of memory is great.

Remembering names, dates and just overall people information is pretty lousy.

Also the speed of my recall is bad, I need to focus on a subject and can't think up things on the spot very well.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2007, 9:27 pm

I have almost no memory of my childhood before age 8, only a few details. Not sure if that's normal or not but it causes problems.

I'm good at remembering things that im deeply interested in(anime character's names and stats for example) but as for practically everything else I'm terrible.
I never remember to bring things like cd's or books for friends, they've now given up asking because I always forget within minutes.
I make mental lists of things I must do each hour and focus hard to do each one in order (but i still forget somethings at least once).
If I'm expecting to do a lot in one day, I make a check list of everything I can think of and update it often.

My memory used to be better and just randomly got this way. At the very least I could remember what to bring to school or when to call someone... now it's a struggle.
I think it's just because I'm not interested in much anymore but....

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:02 pm

Desolation_boi wrote:
I have almost no memory of my childhood before age 8, only a few details. Not sure if that's normal or not but it causes problems.

I'm good at remembering things that im deeply interested in(anime character's names and stats for example) but as for practically everything else I'm terrible.
I never remember to bring things like cd's or books for friends, they've now given up asking because I always forget within minutes.
I make mental lists of things I must do each hour and focus hard to do each one in order (but i still forget somethings at least once).
If I'm expecting to do a lot in one day, I make a check list of everything I can think of and update it often.

My memory used to be better and just randomly got this way. At the very least I could remember what to bring to school or when to call someone... now it's a struggle.
I think it's just because I'm not interested in much anymore but....

Something tells me you may actually be HURTING your ablity! It turns out the working memory of most people can only remember like 7 items. Try to remember a little at a time. You need some time to absorb it. So wait before getting another chunk! SOME say you can get exhausted after like 45 minutes, so give yourself a little extra time then. BTW RECALL really strengthens memory, so try to recall more.

Steve

Weather
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2007, 10:29 pm

Or that could just be concentration... I have a hard time retaining what I read or to even explain what the book or article was about.

My short term memory sucks. I sometimes can't remember what I was going to do but yet had it in my mind 20 secs. ago. I get distracted very easily.

Weather

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:09 pm

Weather wrote:
I have a hard time retaining what I read or to even explain what the book or article was about.

I’m that way, too. I have just about given up trying to read my textbooks for classes because it feels hopeless. Instead, I rely solely on remembering what was discussed in lecture. It works for my exams, but I tend to do poorly in the class overall because I don’t feel knowlegeable enough to write papers.

So to fit this into the discussion subject here, I guess my memory for facts and figures, if they had been previously discussed, is superior to that of most people.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:20 pm

I can't remember anything. I have a spot in my head that presses on nerves..I assumed that was why my memory was so suck..but maybe it is just normal for me. that makes me smile.