Writing a practical guide for neurodiversity, any ideas?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

YouAreNUF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2021, 8:35 pm

Much of the information about autism/neurodiversity is focused on how to fit in with neurotypical society, but personally I really enjoy being different. I've had a very good life despite having to overcome a lot of challenges and self-doubt that largely stemmed from the belief I should emulate "normal" and well-adjusted people.

In recent years I've become a lot happier since I've learned to embrace the things that make me unique. I think it's difficult to know how to think or feel as an autistic person. Neurotypical therapists often don't understand that the way we think is different. Masking may help us fit in with society, but we'll never truly be comfortable or content if we have to hide or suppress everything about who we really are.

At the same time there are very real differences in the way we process information, and living in a world that's not designed with our needs in mind can be a very overwhelming and frustrating experience.

That said, I want to write a book with the focus of learning how to be happy and not necessarily learning how to be "normal."

I just wanted to see if there were any topics, ideas, or perspectives that you thought would be appropriate to include in this type of book? Any comments would be appreciated whether or not you agree with my views.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

26 Apr 2021, 10:29 am

The idea that everybody's differences should be accepted and celebrated.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.