How would you feel in this situation?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Ok so last week we were getting electric heating fitted. Two plumbers were there and they kept having to come into my bedroom to check the radiator. They never once knocked and just walked straight in. They came in a total of 6 times. My bedroom is like my cut-off point from the outside world so it was extremely unsettling. I’d like to hear how others would feel.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 6:40 pm

I would have tremendous anxiety from that

Wreck It Ralph

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 6:51 pm

I would feel uncomfortable, like my privacy was being invaded, but I wouldn't feel as bad if I knew ahead of time that the plumbers would need to come into the bedroom.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 11:45 pm

I'd feel as though my personal space was being invaded.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 11:48 pm

I agree with everyone who posted. It would feel like a complete invasion of privacy.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 1:37 am

For starters, I would not have closed the door. It was interfering with their workspace. To avoid upset, I'd have gone somewhere else that would be safe enough for a spell.
The general rule in life is that yachts yield to working boats - even the Brittanica won't interfere with fishing net work, and on the highway, I help the trucks pass, but not the cars. How would you like going to work where someone was just hanging around resenting your presence?

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 2:19 am

I'd be angry after the first time, but after that I'd guess I wasn't going to get any peace so I'd go and hide somewhere else until they finished.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:00 am

I wouldn’t like them going in my private space.

But generally I make them a tea/coffee and keep out of their way.
Then overdo “thankyous” when they leave.

Which is pretty much how my customers treat me. :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:56 am

I'd be uncomfortable with them being in my room. If I knew about it before they came, then I'd probably be annoyed about it then, but not angry when they were actually there because it was expected.
I'd be torn between being in there and waiting for them to leave, and waiting elsewhere. I wouldn't like being there with them but I wouldn't like them being in my private room alone either.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 5:31 am

I know they've got to do their job but I know how you feel. When I was younger I used to feel embarrassed to be seen by a stranger in my home, as my home is the only place where I can be myself. So I said to my mum what room should I stay in until the boiler inspectors are gone and she said anywhere except the room where the boiler is (the kitchen). But I said, "but what if they need to come into the other rooms to check the radiators or the pipes or something?" and my mum said, "why would they do that? They're just going to inspect the boiler." So I went into my bedroom and laid on my bed with a magazine to read. And, lo and behold, the boiler men did want to check all the radiators in the house, including my room, so when they came into my room I had to awkwardly say "hi", even though they just looked at me like I had 2 heads.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 8:10 am

I don't think I'd cope very well. I do have inspections every three months though, the landlord goes into my room and usually looks behind the door for some reason.

It's been bad enough these past three days - we've had painters come and paint the gutters, downpipes, door trims and eaves. They could easily look into our house so I closed all blinds and curtains so they couldn't. Twice they've parked in the way of me driving out and twice they've asked me to move my car because it was in the way of their painting. I've had to open the side gate and laundry door three times for them as well. This is probably not even close to being stressful for others here but it has really irked me. I never knew outdoor painting could be such a hassle!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 11:03 am

Dear_one wrote:
How would you like going to work where someone was just hanging around resenting your presence?
I know that people that have come to work at my house understand that kind of anxiety and they have always been very courteous, compassionate, and accommodating about it. I don't know what they tell each other when they leave but they have never shown any indication of upsetness when they are here. And when I have had jobs when I have had to go into other people's homes, I have always felt great understanding and compassion with any anxiety they might have about me being in their personal spaces. They know that it is not just their workspace but that it is your home and your place of safety.

Wreck It Ralph

Spergl0rd
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

renaeden wrote:
I don't think I'd cope very well. I do have inspections every three months though, the landlord goes into my room and usually looks behind the door for some reason.

You need a little sign behind the door that says "there is still nothing here"

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:09 pm

Spergl0rd wrote:
renaeden wrote:

You need a little sign behind the door that says "there is still nothing here"
Haha, indeed. It does gather a bit of dust behind there but I clean it out before an inspection. She doesn't look behind my flatmate's door.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 5:42 am

I get stressed from complete strangers being in any part of my home.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 6:55 am

Thank you for posting this. This helos me in my professional life. I am an electrician, working largely in household jobs.

It reminded me that I can get Very focussed ib my work, especially if I am tracing a wiring fault and I can be going round room to roon in my own world not noticing people and forgetting that it is someone's home as well as my worksite.