Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GrandFunk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2018, 12:19 pm

I was diagnosed with NLD ten years ago at age 60.

Now I hear that this is no longer recognized. Does that mean my diagnosis was wrong?

Should I go back for another test?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 7:38 pm

There is no diagnostic criteria in either the DSM or ICD for it specifically at this time. There is not anything new that I'm aware of.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 12:11 am

My ASD diagnosis states that ASD is sometimes known as Asperger's Syndrome or Non-verbal Learning Disorder, so I'm pretty sure NLD was folded into ASD along with Asperger's and PDD-NOS.

If that's the case, assuming we're talking DSM-5 here, you would now sit somewhere on the Autism Spectrum.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2018, 7:49 am

Does the DSM say that or just your paperwork? I'm curious, I was diagnosed with NVLD, I'm sure it's ASD but if they're considered the same that would save me a whole new evaluation.

GrandFunk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2018, 10:16 am

Thanks for the replies.

The interesting thing to me is.......I initially TOLD the psychologists that I suspected I had Asperger.

When the testing was done they said they said I definitely DID NOT have Asperger.

They said my results clearly showed a diagnosis of NLD with a secondary diagnosis of ADD (Not ADHD) and nothing to indicate Asperger.

I have noticed two major differences between myself and people diagnosed with Asperger or as "High Functioning Autistic."

1. They are usually good at math and I can't learn math.
2. They usually have no memory issues and I have pretty severe deficits in working memory and executive function.

I lack the rote memory skill that is supposed to be a part of NLD, but it may be that the ADD interferes with memorization.

I also have little to nothing in the way of the more obvious and traditional and standard trademarks of Autism, like stimming. My social skills are fair......like, just good enough to get me in trouble in fairly short order if I'm not alert to what I'm saying.

So.......from this and from your replies I would guess I would officially fit into some fairly unusual subset of Asperger.

I don't suppose that additional testing would offer any meaningful result. I'm comfortably retired and not in need of any disability income or help with medical costs.