Aspie Writing Styles, grammar, flashbacks

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:20 pm

I'm not sure about my writing style.
To me language itself just feels incomplete... And awkward. I just feel it's limitations (despite not being a master of it) than it's way of expanding and communicating.

Despite being bilingual, there's just not enough words to express something, or the right set of "grammar" or "context" to express a particular concept.

Joe90 wrote:
What does it mean by focusing too much on detail though?
I mean, if writers got to the point all the time then stories would be fairly short. I find books have too much detail, or require detail, that I often struggle to pay attention with, which is why I don't read many books.

Also I think anyone with any talent pays close attention to details. My NT cousin does excellent paintings and he spends more time with the tiny details in order to create such a brilliant piece of art. My NT friend bakes those cakes that look like things, for example a shoe, and if she didn't concentrate so much on the tiniest details then it wouldn't look like a shoe, but she does it so carefully and brilliantly that the cake does literally look like a real shoe until it is sliced.

So is it really just another stereotype that only autistics focus on details?

In writing it's called immersion... If done right.

In visual arts, it's called hyperrealism. At least at the cake part. I don't know about the art part.

It's very different than, say, data analysis as a lifestyle and not just as a means of living.

Those are practices and skills, not "traits" and inclinations like how bottom up learning and thinking does initially.
The inclinations and traits -- done at almost anything on a daily basis, not limited to a specific mentioned practice and skills -- only makes the habits and practices easier... Usually. :o

Now, unless your NT friends also learn details first before big picture, makes detailed inventories of their work life AND home life from their relationships to what they own...
And fusses around said details on a daily basis, as a way of living and interacting and not just limited to their crafts, to a point daily living can be disrupted...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

juliafrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2022, 5:40 am

Hello! I noticed that everyone have their own writing style, and it's cool!

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2022, 11:01 pm

I've critiqued a lot of writing over the years. I haven't noticed a particularly aspie style, but I have noticed that most people, NTs included, struggle with writing. It's hard!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm

Oh yes - I've been advised (even here on....WP) that my writing-style is too intellectual, wordy, and hence can be confusing to understand - this is common with the Autism Spectrum.

We have to be our own harshest critic - a cathartic experience, in a way, opportunites to well..."free ourselves!"

Tyla
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Oct 2022, 7:07 am

Mine is absolutely belles lettres... I like beautiful in everything....

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2022, 10:19 am

I was also told I describe too much stuff, but if I don't, it doesn't feel right. I like writing descriptions.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 10:31 am

I've been told that I'm a good writer and that I have good grammar. I used to dream about becoming an author and illustrator for novels targeted to a preteen audience. I've thought about self-publishing but I don't understand all the stuff you have to do, and I don't trust the online self-publishing websites, anyway.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 4:28 pm

I wanted to contribute to a discussion-thread on writing styles, grammar, etc.

I've been advised that my writing syles can sometimes overuse of parenthesis, hyphens, quotes, abbreviations, choice of wording, and too wordy.

My style can represent both very novel viewpoints, and be too intellectual in style. Most notably (as is common with the Autism Spectrum) writing style(s) lacks emotional appeal.

After rereading some of the my full page writings, I sense that the scope/style of writing appears more like a mosaic rather that content orgnized with some-type of continuity. I make it a point to provide frequent paragraph-breaks.

It's most helpful I inherited one parent's strong language, strong vocabulary, spelling, and spelling aptitudes - yet for my other parent, language skills were challenging.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2022, 11:13 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Oh yes - I've been advised (even here on....WP) that my writing-style is too intellectual, wordy, and hence can be confusing to understand - this is common with the Autism Spectrum.

We have to be our own harshest critic - a cathartic experience, in a way, opportunites to well..."free ourselves!"

What does "too intellectual" refer to?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 1:09 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

To best answer what is meant by "too intellectual" - refer to my previous posts as examples by:

- Click on to my WP screen name highlighted in blue 'JustFoundHere.'

- Click on link highlighted in blue 'Search user's posts'.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 6:35 pm

My writing style is simple and I have very poor grammar. That's because I don't think in words. I think in pictures instead.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2022, 5:06 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

To best answer what is meant by "too intellectual" - refer to my previous posts as examples by:

You have not written a definition of "too intellectual" in this thread.
People often use term without defining them.
To me "too intellectual" sounds a bit like "without emotions".
Is this what we are refering to?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2022, 5:08 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
My writing style is simple and I have very poor grammar. That's because I don't think in words. I think in pictures instead.

So there are no discussions going on in your brain?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

You have not written a definition of "too intellectual" in this thread.
People often use term without defining them.
To me "too intellectual" sounds a bit like "without emotions".
Is this what we are refering to?

I've been told my style can sometimes be "too intellectual" by people not active on WrongPlanet. Sometimes, people find my style almost comical.

More commonly, I've sensed that my style can be impartial, objective. It's best said that I generally minimize emotions in writing style.

By reading my previous written works, I sense my style is mosaic-like.

My response in a previous WP discusison-thread 'Does Any Autistic Person Here Like to Read Drama?' might provide examples of writing styles relating to my experiences. This discusison thread received 24 responses, and my response is in the second to last in disc. thread as of this writing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 8:00 am

Its hard to say.

You would have to compare like with like.

Like compare published NT writers to published known-to-be-autistic published writers. Actually scratch that. An autistic who gets published would probably consciously or unconsciously borrow NT stylings to get published.

But a teacher could compare his/her eigth grade students to each other to see if NT students and aspie students in the same grade struggle with similar things in writing or not by drawing from a big sample of each to compare.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:45 pm

To further contribute to a discussion forum considering the writing styles, grammar, etc. regarding the Autism Spectrum; Is there an ample interst in Postmodern literature?

What are favorites in the genre of Postmodern literature?

Enclosed is a link on Postmodern literature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_literature